Rec Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Youngm2194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated this May and will be having a committee rec letter when I apply June 2017. They allow up to 7 individual letters for this composite letter. They recommend 2 science and one nonscience as well as character ones. In terms of character ones I have 2 from different PIs from labs I've worked in as well as one MD I shadowed who I know well. I have one science professor submitted, and one nonscience professor told me they would write one in March this year, I met with them sent them all the stuff etc., followed up multiple times and they still have not done it. I'm planning on taking another class at a top 25 school near where I live. I want to get a rec from this professor since the one from my school never followed through and now I feel like it is useless to keep trying to get one from them. Does the "2 science 1 nonscience" count if its from a professor who I take a class with after undergrad not at the same school? I'm assuming it's fine I just want to make sure there are no red flags or something if I have only one rec from a professor from undergrad, but this was mainly because the others who I asked never followed through. Thoughts? I'll also have 2 more from the lab I work in at a top 3 hospital in the US and possibly someone very high up there as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually if you have a committee letter you do not need to follow the "2 science, 1 non-science rule". If a non-science is required (not recommended) for your committee letter, than you may need to continue trying to get one