Rec of let from a family friend who I worked for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonamechemist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you guys recommend? I was a babysitter then became a tutor for her children for a few years. I am planning to get a committee letter so these letters will be sent to school. Should I disclose our relationship or just not mention it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The instructions for letter writers specify that one should indicate how long one has known the applicant and in what context. If this is a neighbor or family friend, then the letter is often "discounted" because it would be likely that your friend would write a flattering letter that leaves out your flaws (that's what friends are for).

Reactions: 2 users
This won't be taken very seriously.

Would you guys recommend? I was a babysitter then became a tutor for her children for a few years. I am planning to get a committee letter so these letters will be sent to school. Should I disclose our relationship or just not mention it? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This won't be taken very seriously.

The instructions for letter writers specify that one should indicate how long one has known the applicant and in what context. If this is a neighbor or family friend, then the letter is often "discounted" because it would be likely that your friend would write a flattering letter that leaves out your flaws (that's what friends are for).

Thanks for the replies. I sound very ignorant but I wanted to make sure before I make this move; I don't want to get into troubles later. she was just a distant friend of families, I didn't get to know her until she hired me. I think (I think) her letter will be unbiased. Can't I just call her my "employer"? How else would my school or med schools know unless they start doubting and then do an investigation on her background or our relationship to prove the validity of this letter?

You should probably just forget about this one. It's not going to help you.

Thanks for the replies. I sound very ignorant but I wanted to make sure before I make this move; I don't want to get into troubles later. she was just a distant friend of families, I didn't get to know her until she hired me. I think (I think) her letter will be unbiased. Can't I just call her my "employer"? How else would my school or med schools know unless they start doubting and then do an investigation on her background or our relationship to prove the validity of this letter?
There is an instructional pamphlet for letter writers from AAMC. In it, letter writers are instructed to say how long one has known the applicant and in what capacity. It isn't what you call her but what she calls you. If she writes that she has known you from the time you were born or from the time your family moved into the neighborhood when you were six, then obviously the cat will be out of the bag. Sometimes, writers want to express that they've known you for a long time and have watched you grow into a charming young person from a good family, yada yada when that's not exactly what you're going for.

Reactions: 2 users
The committee will know the letter was written by a biased friend if your employer refers to having known your family since you were nine, or relates the experience of dandling you on her knee as an infant. You will be signing away your privilege of ever seeing the letter, so you won't know what slips it contains.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a terrible idea. Don't do it.

As others have pointed out, a letter from this type of employer will at best be ignored. At worst, and more likely, it will make your application look worse; it suggests that the best you could come up with was letter from someone you babysat for, as opposed to letters from your professors, who can attest to your academic achievements.

Furthermore, the person writing the letter has no idea what a letter of recommendation to medical school should say, so her best efforts are as likely to hurt you as they are to help you.

Reactions: 1 user