Reccomendation about application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gvegas1225

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I recently had a health problem and went through a surgery. After this experience, my desire to help others and to become a doctor has never been greater. I want to apply to medical schools this year and see where it takes me.

The problem is, I made up my mind to to apply this week. I still have not asked any professors for recommendation letters nor have taken the MCAT. My GPA is 3.93 and got almost all A's in my science classes. If I study diligently, I think I can get a decent score on the MCAT. Right now, I have two options.

1. Apply late. Turn in the primary application in early August. Take the MCAT in September and turn in the secondary in October.
2. Apply next year.

In some ways, this question might seem silly. But all I hear around me is that when it comes to medical school, you need to apply as soon as possible. And that if I am late, that I have almost no chance. Should I wait another year to apply?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

In order to maximize your chances, I think you should wait. Consider volunteering or doing research during your gap year.

I agree- wait. By the time you take the MCAT, a lot of interviews will have already gone out. Use this year for ECs- volunteering, shadowing, etc to threngthen your app for next year

Members don't see this ad :)
next year. impulse control.

Reactions: 1 user
Applying late is an invitation to getting rejected.

Apply with the best possible app in June of 2016.

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not. This entire process is a marathon, not a sprint.

Hello. I recently had a health problem and went through a surgery. After this experience, my desire to help others and to become a doctor has never been greater. I want to apply to medical schools this year and see where it takes me.

The problem is, I made up my mind to to apply this week. I still have not asked any professors for recommendation letters nor have taken the MCAT. My GPA is 3.93 and got almost all A's in my science classes. If I study diligently, I think I can get a decent score on the MCAT. Right now, I have two options.

1. Apply late. Turn in the primary application in early August. Take the MCAT in September and turn in the secondary in October.
2. Apply next year.

In some ways, this question might seem silly. But all I hear around me is that when it comes to medical school, you need to apply as soon as possible. And that if I am late, that I have almost no chance. Should I wait another year to apply?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user