Received my Masters in MTM from UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedheadRPh

Employed (finally)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received my Masters in MTM from UF several months ago with 5 other pharmacists.

Here are the details:
Cost $22,000 + 2 trips to FL (airfare, hotel, meals, car) + $1800 for internet
Timeframe – 20 months
Courses (foundations MTM I and II, cardio, GI, neuro, endocrine, renal, psych, heme, resp, Capstone) lasting 6-7 weeks.
Business plan presentation and comp exam
Each course was comprised of:
3-6 1 hr lectures
3 discussion board postings
3 homework assignments (one was always a CMR+SOAPE on a very complex patient)
2 quizes, a midterm, and a final
6 Adobe Connect sessions w/breakout groups

In 2012 I was a consultant in LTC and we were going to begin performing CMRs on the NH patients. I was aware of the current state of pharmacist oversupply (in my area) and I wanted to further my education (BSPharm here) and thought this program would be shorter and less $ than UFs WPPD program.

I loved the program, worked hard, and learned a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks - I just wanted to let people know what the experience was like. :)

I was laid off from the LTC pharmacy (d/t bed loss) 6 weeks after starting the MTM program.:mad:

After a year I found a position in the outpatient oncology sector and I am using parts of my new skillset when the physicians have questions, although I am not performing billable CMRs...yet!

The six of us who graduated ranged from PharmDs in their 20s to BSPharms in their 50s!

Members don't see this ad :)
UF does the same thing as USC...pushing all of these expensive and useless master programs.

How many pharmacists do you know that make a living from just MTM? And why would you need to redo pharmacy school?

I don't want to seem rude or anything, but that sure does seem expensive.

I hope this isn't the new trend. PGY2's can't find jobs so they get masters in MTM, masters in public health, MBAs, and fellowships to jump over the competition.

One of my fellow students (no residency PharmD) was already employed performing (and teaching pharmacists) MTM.
Another student (? residency PharmD) switched jobs this month to a MTM only position.
I chose to go back to school because I have a BSPharm, wanted the extra degree, and the program interested me.

I need to become an investor in a post-PharmD certification program. There is a lot of money to be made in the next 10 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Please tell me this isn't true...

Instead of doing a residency where you would get atleast a little bit of cash in addition to whatever that brings you - you opted for a masters in which you paid more money for something that seems like it would carry less weight on the job market. Fascinating investment.

Please tell me this isn't true...

Instead of doing a residency where you would get atleast a little bit of cash in addition to whatever that brings you - you opted for a masters in which you paid more money for something that seems like it would carry less weight on the job market. Fascinating investment.
You think working retail for 2 years while paying this tuition nets less money than a residency + 1 year's salary? It is less valuable, for sure, but not less costly.

My post was purely informational since no one has posted ANTHING about earning this degree on any forum here.

WOW, if anyone knows of a residency position available (I have 24 years experience in the profession)...bring it on...I would LOVE to quit my cushy 8-4 M-F non-retail job for a chance at that!

you have already worked for 24 years as a pharmacist? you should be thinking about retirement, not earning a master degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
You think working retail for 2 years while paying this tuition nets less money than a residency + 1 year's salary? It is less valuable, for sure, but not less costly.

First of all they were working LTC...

A residency is 1 year. They would be giving up 1 year of LTC pharmacy.

1 year LTC salary + 1 year residency stipend vs. 2 year LTC salary - (22k + travel/associated room and board + 1.8k internet costs)

This simplifies to: 1 year residency stipend vs. 1 year LTC - (22k + travel/Room/board + 1.8k internet costs)
(we will leave out the intangibles of work load as residencies vary as do LTC workload)

I guess on a true cash basis you might be right, depending on the wage of the LTC job and the stipend of the residency...but yea probably favors the 2 years at the LTC. But how much would you say the monetary worth of a completed residency is vs. a masters in MTM?

Thanks for the information Redhead, I had no idea there was a masters in MTM. Education is always good, even if it the only benefit is to your confidence. Congratulations on your new degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks BidingMyTime...A Masters degree is definitely an addition to a BS degree in my case...

IDK why zelman is calculating residency vs. employment in my case...residency was never an option for me..missed sarcasm is always a crime IMO.

I am always thinking about retirement but will act on it in 10 yrs when I am 58 and then you vultures can have my cushy job!

I wish I received a masters in something I can already do.

BenJammin - Its hard making a go of things but the only person you can rely on is yourself and you have to find your way in this world...

Thanks BidingMyTime...A Masters degree is definitely an addition to a BS degree in my case...

IDK why zelman is calculating residency vs. employment in my case...residency was never an option for me..missed sarcasm is always a crime IMO.

I am always thinking about retirement but will act on it in 10 yrs when I am 58 and then you vultures can have my cushy job!
My post makes sense if you assume I'm responding to the post I quoted. If you don't, then I suppose it might be confusing.

So you're pretty much a master at reading things off of a screen?

BenJammin - Its hard making a go of things but the only person you can rely on is yourself and you have to find your way in this world...

Well, I don't what the hell that means but you missed the point of my post. You paid a university 5 figures to let them teach you what they should have taught you while you were in pharmacy school. Is it a location thing? All of the schools in this region get taught how to master MTM. You won't be seeing a masters in MTM offered by UT, SWOSU, Tech, OU, or A&M.

Well, I don't what the hell that means but you missed the point of my post. You paid a university 5 figures to let them teach you what they should have taught you while you were in pharmacy school. Is it a location thing? All of the schools in this region get taught how to master MTM. You won't be seeing a masters in MTM offered by UT, SWOSU, Tech, OU, or A&M.
Do you think those curricula have been modified in the last 24 years while RedheadRPh was actually working to make them better preparation for MTM? Maybe they even added a sixth year in there somewhere? There are pharmacists out there who have 4 year degrees from long ago. Just because you have a PharmD doesn't mean every other RPh does. There is a market for this program, even if it doesn't include you.

Reactions: 2 users
Right on zelman!:) (Crap - sounds like I am a hippie child...)
Spot on zelman! (**it - sound like an English dood)

Correct zelman!

Last edited: