Receiving holds from state and low/mid tier schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who else is in a similar position?

• 0 IIs

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 1-2 IIs

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Multiple holds >2

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Multiple rejections >2

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I received two holds and 1 rejection out of 17 schools. The 1 rejection was from a reach school whose average LizzyM is 2-4 points higher than mine, so not surprised. But, the two holds are from my state school (lowest LizzyM on my list) and a school whose average LizzyM is 2-3 points lower than mine. Neither of these schools had essay sections to their secondaries so I really didn't have the chance to shape my app to their mission statement.

I am starting to worry that if these schools are passing my app up for interviews then what chance do I stand at the other schools who I am either on par or below their average stats. For these other schools with secondary essays, I tried my best to focus on the mission statements. Is there something wrong with my app? Probably. But, I had my share of ECs: clinical volunteering, research, non medical community service, leadership, work. Only my research aspect I feel stands out. Just as a note, I was complete early-mid sept at most of my schools.

I know patience is a virtue but I am wondering if these holds signify a bunch of more holds and rejections to come my way? With no IIs yet and with holds from these specific schools makes me feel really panicky. I waver in and out of giving up on this cycle vs telling myself there's still a chance at an II.

Members don't see this ad.

If you were complete in mid-early September you just need to remain patient. In most cases interview invites can take well over 6 weeks to come through. I have been complete since mid-late July and I still haven't heard ANYTHING from about 20 of the schools that I applied to, and I have solid stats. There are a lot of applicants in the same situation as us! Patience is a virtue, the feelings of worry will fade with time.

Reactions: 1 user
Simply hope for the best. The LizzyM score is a rough estimate. It is a good guideline for applying to schools, but it is not the end-all-be-all of criteria. Give it a bit. You may have luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Simply hope for the best. The LizzyM score is a rough estimate. It is a good guideline for applying to schools, but it is not the end-all-be-all of criteria. Give it a bit. You may have luck.

I really don't give the LizzyM much weight. It doesn't take into account sGPA, and is inaccurate for unbalanced stats. Take someone with a 3.5 GPa and 37 mcat, I wouldn't expect that person to be nearly as competitive as a 3.8 GPa and 34 mcat.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Something to consider: you say that your research is your only stand out EC. Most (certainly not all, of course) schools that highly favour research-heavy applicants are "top tier" schools that also have high median numbers. Many of the schools that might seem like a good fit for you based on stats alone might actually have a strong slant towards community service or primary care, and thus would prefer to invite candidates who have demonstrated passions for those fields.

Since, based on your limited description, your ECs seem more in line with strong research institutions, it might take longer for those schools to review your app since you may not a super high stat applicant. That's not to say you won't get invites, though! I have a low 30s MCAT score and I've been complete everywhere since July-August, and I only very recently got a few invites from research powerhouses. It just took some time for them to wade through the high stat apps to get to me, and once they did, they realized my research intensive app would be a good fit for them. The same might happen for you.

Waiting is awful but it's a huge part of this cycle. I wish you the very best of luck!

Haha OP you really need to relax; you make too many neurotic posts, and though I totally understand the anxiousness, I think it is probably best for you to avoid SDN until you get that first II!

I think it is probably best for you to avoid SDN until you get that first II!

This!!! I took a SDN vacation for a few months around this time last year and it did wonders for my anxiety/mental well being. Only thing I missed out on was Streampaw, but I guess Mrh kind of made up for that.

Reactions: 1 users
This!!! I took a SDN vacation for a few months around this time last year and it did wonders for my anxiety/mental well being. Only thing I missed out on was Streampaw, but I guess Mrh kind of made up for that.

What ever happened to mrh!? That guy still kicking?

What ever happened to mrh!? That guy still kicking?
He was banned but came back as a troll. Boltedbicorne is his new(est) handle, but it's been on hold for about a month now.

Last edited: