recently moved to Sydney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biroo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

I graduated from overseas medical college and I'm also done with my internship year. I recently moved to Sydney and am a permanent visa holder. It is very difficult to find clear answers to my questions online so I hope you can help me.

I know that I should pass AMC exam before doing anything but can I apply for observership or clinical attachment in any hospital while I'm preparing for my AMC exam ?

How I can apply for observership or clinical attachment ?

How I can apply to residency program ?

I appreciate your help

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Dear All,

I graduated from overseas medical college and I'm also done with my internship year. I recently moved to Sydney and am a permanent visa holder. It is very difficult to find clear answers to my questions online so I hope you can help me.

I know that I should pass AMC exam before doing anything but can I apply for observership or clinical attachment in any hospital while I'm preparing for my AMC exam ?

How I can apply for observership or clinical attachment ?

How I can apply to residency program ?

I appreciate your help

Thank you
1) This should help as a start:

http://www.amc.org.au/assessment/pathways

2) I could be mistaken, but I don't think you can apply to be an RMO until you've passed both your AMC exams (written and OSCE). I've heard it used to be you could apply after only having passed the written, but now you have to have passed both parts. At least that's what I've heard, but I've never verified this since I've never had a need to do so (I'm not an IMG).

3) Another option is you could try doing research with a physician if you know of any physicians looking for research assistants. I met an IMG who did that in a big Sydney hospital while they prepared for their AMC exam, and later got a RMO job at the same hospital (and the physician wrote them a great letter of reference which probably helped since they apparently did a lot of work as a research assistant).