Recommendation ahead of time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeWhoPwnz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post on SDN :p

Anyways, I'm going to be entering my junior year, and I am about to finish my summer class. I want to get a letter of recommendation from this professor, but I am not applying for medical school until next year. I think AMCAS doesn't keep accounts/LORs in record for more than a year (correct me if I am wrong). So how should I go about doing this? Do I ask for a LOR but tell the professor to keep hold of it until later when I need it, or what?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of this depends on the letter service you use. If you use interfolio, writers can upload their letters whenever and they are kept there for three years. If your school has a letter packet service it's usually a similar deal.

If you just use AMCAs that's fine, but since you aren't applying this year your writer won't be able to upload it until next year. If you do this, be sure to contact him and all of your other a couple months before May; I cut my deadline for my writers a little to close and my application was delayed because of it.

Edit for clarity: you can ask him to write one now and explain you won't need it till May unless you have some sort of letter service.