Recommendation Letter from a Dentist...How?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TucciSlimCharle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I have become interested in dentistry and I want to go to dental school. However, many dental schools require that a letter of recommendation be written from a dentist. I am so confused as to how to even come close to getting one. I have tried calling around to all the dental clinics near my school to see if I could even volunteer, but none of them offer anything. My only chance is this one clinic that I called three days ago where they would ask the manager to see if I could shadow a dentist or volunteer there, but they have not gotten back to me yet.

How did all of you get a chance at working with a dentist? Some help would be great, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you try asking your family dentist? Do you have any friends who's parents are dentists? Do you have any predental friends who shadowed a dentist?

Otherwise, just keep calling around, someone will eventually say yes. Others will recommend that you actually go into the office and ask the person at the desk or ask to speak to the dentist.

If your school has a predental club, ask around there. Shadowing has its moments of excitement, I guess, but I've made far more connections volunteering than shadowing. Not only did I feel more comfortable staying for many months, I was able to show the folks there that I am reputable and willing to work [for free]. It felt like less of a burden on them if I contributed something while I was there, whereas I felt like I was just in the way during shadowing.

If your family dentist won't write you one y'all should switch to another practice. Ask who you've shadowed too.