Recommendation Letter from an Astronomy Prof?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaedong

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of getting an lor from an astronomy prof that I really liked. But would this count as a science lor?

also does math count as a science lor?
:naughty:

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools really strict about what are the sciences. Math is not even science when you calculate GPA. I also majored in biophysics so I thought of using phys/math profs but I did not in the end.
If you can't really find any bio/chem then... but you should just use bio/chem profs I think.

So I'm thinking of getting an lor from an astronomy prof that I really liked. But would this count as a science lor?

also does math count as a science lor?
:naughty:

Astronomy and Math both count as "other science" classes. They would definitely count as a science professor. However, you will have to look at the individual schools you are apply to, some have different requirements. Some might directly ask for a LOR from a bio/chem/phy professor.

If there is no specific requirement for a science professor, just get the strongest letters you can from the professors you know the best.

The regular formula for getting LORs is:
2 science professors
1 non-science professor or "character" reference
1 dentist

Hopefully this attachment helps you.

Some schools really strict about what are the sciences. Math is not even science when you calculate GPA.

This is incorrect. You get 3 different GPA calculations: overall, science, and BCP. Math is calculated into your science GPA, but not your BCP, which is only bio/chem/phy classes.

Attachments

• ADEA AADSAS Course Subjects(1).pdf
    97.7 KB · Views: 42
I'm pretty sure this would count as a science professor, since astronomy is a science class according to the AADSAS (albeit being "other science"), but would not count as a BCP science professor (for schools that specify that they need a letter from a bio/chem/physics professor).