Recommendation letter from an optometrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveYogurt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who got letters from an optometrist, how did you go about asking for one?
I have no luck getting shadowing opportunity around the area where I reside. I recently got hired at eye clinic and still not too comfortable asking the optometrists there for a letter yet. Should I just give it a try anyway? And what else should I try?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

The doctor I work for want me to work at least 6 months before she wrote me one. If you want a good ones you have to stick around. I don't think they know about you as much to write a good letter if you just shadow for a few hours .

I would go ahead and ask for one but you could always wait a few months so you can have more things to write about. I actually ended up writing 2 of my own letter of recs (boy was that hard to brag about yourself twice). And another optometrist offered me a letter right away. I think it just depends on the optometrist, don't be shy to ask

Members don't see this ad :)
I had one optometrist give me one and I had only shadowed her twice. She knew me because she had done the pre and post op exams for my PRK surgery, but I wasn't super close with her or anything. Don't be afraid to ask, the worst they can say is no, or that they would like to get to know you better. This optometrist asked me to send her a resume with my optometry experience on it.

well,This optometrist asked me to send her a resume with my optometry experience on it.
Be9azb

I've shadowed several Optometrists, but my personal Optometrist whom I've seen for several years and shadow on a monthly basis wrote my LOR as well as did my evaluation for my committee letter (ppac). He's known me pretty well and how much I've always been interested in the field. I also attached my PPAC file (resume, personal statement, etc) with the LOR/evaluation materials.

For those who got letters from an optometrist, how did you go about asking for one?
I have no luck getting shadowing opportunity around the area where I reside. I recently got hired at eye clinic and still not too comfortable asking the optometrists there for a letter yet. Should I just give it a try anyway? And what else should I try?

Thanks for the help!

First- I can't imagine no one letting you shadow. Ask your own optometrist. Ask your parents' optometrist. Ask your relatives' optometrist.
Go in person, drive a little further to specialty clinics- Pediatric/Vision Therapy, Low Vision Rehab, and Ocular Disease clinics LOVE teaching.
University settings probably already have a program set up for students who wish to shadow.
They present with much more interesting cases anyway.

No, sending a generic email to 20 different places doesn't really count.
I've personally never denied an in-person request to shadow, email is a completely different story since I've had students no-show when I would voluntarily come in early. Now I'm leery due to the lack of commitment.

As a working optometrist- I pretty much expect a request for a letter once I let a student shadow. It can either be a very generic letter (if you don't ask any questions and I only see you one day) or a very detailed and specific letter with accolades.

I've been shadowing this optometrist (only 10 hours so far), but I love that she spends her down time to answer any questions that I have or to teach me how to use the machines and what different diseases are. I usually write the key words down in my little notebook, so I can look them up when I have free time. But last time I went, a patient cancelled her appointment so we had 45 minutes to just talk and I've already asked her about what she likes about optometry and the general stuff. So this time, I told her about what I'm worried about regarding applying to optometry schools. Examples: comparatively less leadership experience, LORs. I talked to her about how I didn't get a chance to get to know any of the professors because I'm from a huge school. And she asked me how many I need and I said 2. One from a science professor and one from an optometrist. And it was time for another appointment, and as she was getting up- she told me "Okay~ let me know if you need one~"

Honestly, I still feel a little uncomfortable with her just because I'm not good with new social settings. But I think if you keep showing interest in the field and try to engage in educated, but also fun conversations.. the optometrist will be happy to write you a LOR. Try bringing up the topic like I did, and it could lead to something!