Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbio2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a two-fold question about commendation letters: is it important they be able to explain why you'd make a good doctor (besides being a good student, smart, hard-working etc.) or your passion about medical school? I have three science professors that could write my letters, but only one knows about my passion for being a doctor and the others just know I want to be a doctor.

I'm also confused as to whether or not I can use my witting instructor for a letter. They were in the PhD program at my school at the time, but still taught writing courses. Is it okay if they wrote a letter? I have humanities professor I could ask, but I talked with my writing instructor a lot and he knows me well and knows about my passion for medicine. The professor knows me, and could write a letter about me being a good student...however I'm not sure they know I'm going to the medical field.

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Every prof I asked for letters wanted to meet with me and talk about my goals so they could write a more informed letter. You can even suggest a meeting to talk about your goals so they'll have an easier time writing your letter. If they say yes, great. If they say no, they don't need to know about your goals, then chances are that's going to be a generic and ho-hum letter anyhow IMHO.

If the writing course that you took counted towards your GPA, I think you'd be safe to count that letter as filling the non-science requirement.

Reactions: 1 user