Recommendation, not from a "professor", a problem?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillGunn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to PT school and have a small problem, I have to professors from whom I had a lot of contact with or that have a lot that they could write about me. The "instructor" who could do it better is probably my anatomy and physiology lab instructor. Schools ask for a "Science Professor's" letter usually.

He saw all of my grades, I was among top3 in the section of 26 students (93+ exam average), showed my dedication to learning everything, stayed extra after class till "got it", was asked to be group leader for all of the group experiments.

I think that he would reflect my strengths better than any of my science professors.

I know I'll have good letter(s) from PTs, but maybe not from teachers.
He's not a true professor.

Do I try to find a professor for a letter and then also add to that a letter from my AnP lab instructor as well? Ask multiple PT's for recommendations in order to make up for weaker academic letters?

:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I think that he would reflect my strengths better than any of my science professors.

My advice: Email the school's admission directors you are interested in and ask them directly about the situation. Some schools may be more interested in getting to know YOU rather than if your teacher has their PHd/or whatever other certification they are lacking. Others may be more strict and tell you that you'd be better off asking a "professor" because of policy.

No one knows better than the admissions departments. Also, I'd recommend emailing because then you have a record of their answer. A phone call is great but you don't have it in writing if down the road, you have an issue.

(I had a unique circumstance when I applied and I emailed all the admissions directors to talk about it. They were more than happy to talk to me about it and once, I DID even have to reference an email correspondence).

Sounds like you're a great student who'll have no problem getting into PT school no matter who writes your letter. :) Like PTstudent11 said, I think it would be best to call the school and find out if they will accept the instructor.

When my sister applied to vet school, she had a vet school student that she knew very well write a recommendation and tag it along with a professional's recommendation. So maybe the professor can write a letter and the instructor can add his own recommendation to it. Never hurts to try. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an almost exact scenario. My TA offered to write me a letter and I told him I'm pretty sure the letter has to be from a professor so he told me to talk to the professor. I made an appointment with the professor and he looked at my grades and decided he would write me a letter. There was an evaluation sheet I had to do for UF and the TA did that. All in all, it worked out.

Your TA could send your professor notes for the letter if he decides to write one for you (which I'm sure he will) based on what you said about your grades, effort etc. Good luck!

I am applying to PT school and have a small problem, I have to professors from whom I had a lot of contact with or that have a lot that they could write about me. The "instructor" who could do it better is probably my anatomy and physiology lab instructor. Schools ask for a "Science Professor's" letter usually.

He saw all of my grades, I was among top3 in the section of 26 students (93+ exam average), showed my dedication to learning everything, stayed extra after class till "got it", was asked to be group leader for all of the group experiments.

I know I'll have good letter(s) from PTs, but maybe not from teachers.
He's not a true professor.

Do I try to find a professor for a letter and then also add to that a letter from my AnP lab instructor as well? Ask multiple PT's for recommendations in order to make up for weaker academic letters?

Depending on the school... some admissions actually recommend sending more than the required recommendations. ie. if they ask for 3, send 4. If that's the case for some of the schools you are looking at, you can hedge your bets that way with a very strong recommendation and still meet their requirements. However, that said, try to select instructors that you have a good relationship with or have had good performances in, so you can have the best of both worlds...