Recommendations for interview prep courses and advice on how I could improve.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LSD-25

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a reapplicant and one of the schools I had an MMI at proved feedback. They said I performed well below average for the day, lacked sincere communication, had a rigid approach to the doctor-patient relationship, and lacked empathy. This feedback baffles me because I've never been told this before in any mock interview or situation, and I have practiced for interviews. Nonetheless, I'm going to accept it and see what I can do to improve particularly with MMIs. I feel like MMIs with their quick 8 minute stations make it really easy to generalize applicants regardless of how accurate such generalizations may be, and that medicine being a discipline where doctors are trained to diagnose and generalize at even the smallest cue may be part of what caused an issue for me, where essentially the smallest generalization they had about me based off of their experiences was amplified to an extreme in their feedback and their POV. Nonetheless, I recognize that arguing and fighting this sort of stuff regardless of how fair it may be will get me nowhere, and that the best thing to do is make the necessary adjustments in myself and move on. What are some prep courses I could potentially pursue and what is some advice you have to improve, especially in MMIs?

Here was my strategy:
1) Acting scenarios - I did the worst with these. I absolutely hate these situations. It's really hard for me to put on act when the scenario doesn't even seem remotely authentic, and even if it did because it's not real. I use my point of view, explain my side, recognize theirs, and incorporate theirs into my perspective and solution. I work to be understanding, but I'm not a gushing with empathy kind of person. I understand by listening to the person, working with them, offering a few supportive words, and thinking through things and doing all I can to help the person. I show empathy mainly through action though, and if i wasn't being empathetic I most likely wouldn't be talking to the person or working so hard to help them. Practicing more also most likely made me sound rehearsed, instead of more authentic. How could I handle these stations better?

2) Argument scenarios - I'd state my point of view, say a few key points understanding the opposing side, and give my argument. I really focused on my argument and rationalizing that, but I'm guessing that led interviewers to generalize that I wasn't thinking through things from both points of views.

3) Lack of understanding for the doctor-patient relationship - This one really baffles me. I talked about really important factors that go beyond the traditional doctor-patient relationship of treating illnesses. I talked about how a doctor should have cultural sensitivity and knowledge of languages to really address the obstacles patients face including socio-economic obstacles, how a doctor can really impact the community one person at a time through care-giving and advocacy, provide valuable advice, support, amongst other resources and empathy. What sort of understanding is that "missing?" Again, I feel like whoever was interviewing me must have just latched onto one thing I said and just generalized that that was all I thought.

4) Empathy - I view empathy in a non-traditional way. I'm not an emotionally gushing empathy, so if that's what I need to be I will fail. I view emotions as part of empathy, but also recognizing there are things I may never understand and just need to accept and do whatever I can to help the person. I also convey empathy through action like staying up all night to help and be there for a person and really going out of my way to research and help them resolve their circumstances. Empathy to me involves more action than talk. There are also so many forms of empathy, so saying that I'm not empathetic is a pretty vapid generalization. I do stuff through action, more than talk. What is the definition of empathy medical schools use to evaluate students and how could I fit the mold? Keep in mind that I'm a guy.

Finally, what does doing poorly in a MMI say about my future in medicine? The step 2 CS is structured similar to a MMI, so logically I suppose that'd mean I'd also do poorly on the Step 2 CS in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have had the opportunity to see the outcomes of candidates with both interview methods. It is my observation that those who do well in one generally do well in both. Some who do poorly in MMI can sometimes do better in a standard interview but don't do as well as those who do well in MMI. Like all skills, interviews can be improved. Does your undergrad offer such courses?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have had the opportunity to see the outcomes of candidates with both interview methods. It is my observation that those who do well in one generally do well in both. Some who do poorly in MMI can sometimes do better in a standard interview but don't do as well as those who do well in MMI. Like all skills, interviews can be improved. Does your undergrad offer such courses?

Unfortunately, my undergrad doesn't offer interview courses. I was hoping to do something that preps me for interviews in both MMIs and traditionals and focuses on medical school admissions. This is a skill I definitely need to improve.

@gyngyn - How do you define the empathy necessary for a prospective medical school student to have in an interview?

@gyngyn - How do you define the empathy necessary for a prospective medical school student to have in an interview?
The ability to express an understanding of another one's plight (especially to the person himself) .

Last edited by a moderator: