Recommendations for Non-neoplastic Bone Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Euchromatin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started in practice, doing general surgical pathology in a large, busy private practice setting. I already have the Folpe and Inwards foundations book for tumors (which I love, by the way) and a new Enzinger and Weiss, but I have nothing for non-neoplastic bone. I seem to be getting a lot of osteomyelitis, osteoarthritis, septic arthritis, etc. cases and I feel like I have no basis for my diagnostic criteria other than "I vaguely remember my attending(s) in residency said so."

I was considering these:
Practical Orthopedic Pathology
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1416057684/pathologyoutl-20
AFIP fascicle
http://estore.brightkey.net/ARP752_EBIZ/Default.aspx?TabID=251&productId=267
Pathology of Bone and Joint Disorders
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1107041236/pathologyoutl-20

Any recommendations or suggestions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You mean to tell me you are also a newly minted pathologist who has found a good job? Shocking! I thought there was no way there could be two of us!

I have the Amirsys Bone book. Is has several non-neoplastic entries in it, though I haven't been through it too much yet. I'll give it a look and let you know what I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Personal fav is the AFIP fascicle. I endorsed it in a thread last year: Best AFIP Fascicles to Buy

Euch, you couldn't wait to jump right in and start working? Dude, you should've traveled or gotten some R&R before beginning life on the "other side of the scope", haha. Anyway, hope the new job goes well...

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal fav is the AFIP fascicle. I endorsed it in a thread last year: Best AFIP Fascicles to Buy

Euch, you couldn't wait to jump right in and start working? Dude, you should've traveled or gotten some R&R before beginning life on the "other side of the scope", haha. Anyway, hope the new job goes well...

Thanks so much for the good wishes! I definitely wouldn't have minded a few weeks off before starting, but the way the retirement plan for the group works, you can only enroll on July 1 or Jan 1 after one year of work - so it seemed completely worth it to dive right in and not miss out on 6 months of retirement contributions later. Things have been good so far...they threw me right into the pool, signing out cases starting on my very first day. It has definitely been a little scary - I still get a small jolt from pushing the "sign out" button. I've worked some long hours since I started too, although nothing any worse than some weeks during fellowship and I definitely expect it to get better as I get faster and more comfortable. I am also finding it really satisfying and enjoyable - I'm a REAL PATHOLOGIST!!!!

You mean to tell me you are also a newly minted pathologist who has found a good job? Shocking! I thought there was no way there could be two of us!

I have the Amirsys Bone book. Is has several noneoplastic entries in it, though I haven't been through it too much yet. I'll give it a look and let you know what I think.

Well, clearly we must just be the cream of the crop and/or super lucky ;) I will admit that I had to move for my job. Although it is not in the metro area/state I originally hoped to work in, it is in a part of the country that I found desirable and I really like it (the location) so far. I obviously can't be very objective after only working for a few days, but it seems like it will be a pretty sweet gig as well.

Personal fav is the AFIP fascicle. I endorsed it in a thread last year: Best AFIP Fascicles to Buy...

So, looking at the Amirsys Bone Book, it looks like the non-neoplastic stuff is pretty limited. Sounds like the AFIP fascicle is the way to go for the type of specimens Euchromatin is talking about.