Recommendations for online pre-reqs? (Specifically OChem II and Microbio)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allykd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm sure this has been asked before but I wasn't able to find any super recent threads.

Has anyone taken Organic Chemistry II or Microbiology online and liked/would recommend the course that they took? I'm a nontraditional student trying to finish my last couple of prereqs before applying and I work full time so my options for in-person classes are really limited. I've previously done well with online/distance type learning classes so I'm not particularly concerned about lack of access to instructors and classmates for help.

I've actually already taken OChem during undergrad and I already have credit for the lab, but I ended up with the stomach flu the day of the lecture final and spent most of my time trying not to vomit instead of actually taking the test :smack:, so I'd like to aim for a higher grade this time around. I've looked into OChemII at UNE and Oregon, but am definitely open to other suggestions (especially cheaper ones!) if anyone knows of anything.

For microbio it seems like BYU offers an affordable course that is accepted by at least a couple of the vet schools I plan to apply to but since most schools are busy processing applications right now I haven't gotten too many responses back. I'll be taking the lab for this one in person through the UC Berkley extension (as much as I hate the idea of $900 for a one credit class o_O).

Also if anyone else has taken an online/distance education class that they absolutely loved, regardless of subject, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend University of New England for the Organic Chem II. I loved it, even includes a lab that all the schools I applied to accepted (Ohio State, Missouri, Iowa State, and Minnesota). Always best to check again but I did not have a problem! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I actually took both of those online from my undergrad (NCSU) just because of how my schedule worked out. I did well in both courses so I would recommend it! The organic course was a decent amount of work ("classwork" and hw and studying) but nothing outside of a normal organic course, and I thought the micro had very little work associated with it other than actually watching the lectures and studying. Not sure about price, but I assume decent since we tend to be pretty cheap for tuition in general.

Neither however included the lab because for NCSU you have to take the lab in person (or some are online, but I don't have experience with how to do that). But it looks like you have the lab covered.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually did BIO183 with the lab online through NCSU. I was not sure how the lab was going to go, but it was done nicely. The TA carried out the hands on portions of the experiments and recorded them, then we watched the videos as it was carried out. We did short answer questions and some multiple choice for each lab, instead of a lab report. It was not too terrible :)

I also did a Histo class online that was taught by the same professor. I really enjoyed that class :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into that NCSU histo class for added fun!