Recommendations on pre-reqs/DAT timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irrizistuble

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: Left 4-year consulting job in Jan and this spring semester I have scheduled the following at a local school: Chem 1 and 2, Bio 1 and Physics 1. I want to start Dental school in 2009.

Planned out 2008 schedule:
Summer 1: Orgo 1, Bio 2
Summer 2: Orgo 2
Fall: Physics 2

Question 1:
Orgo 2 isn't ever offered in the fall, so I'm taking both in the summer. Can I take Orgo 1 and 2 in the fall and spring during my interviews or do I need to have the completed before I apply by December?

Question 2:
Is taking the DATs in Sept/Oct too late or should I take it during Summer 2 (without having taken Orgo 2)?

Question 3:
Is sending out applications in October/November too late?

Question 4:
I took Freshman English, Business Writing, Calc 1 and Calc 2 in college in 2000. Would those grades still be valid or do I need to redo those reqs this fall?

Question 5:
If I want to retake the DAT, is it advisable to retake within 5-6 weeks so i can still make it for the current application cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

1. USUALLY, students applying already have the ochem series done around their 2nd year-3rd year. it'll be fine as long as you send them your updated transcript.

2. taking the DATs in sept/oct is not recommended b/c applications start rolling in around MID MAY...schools don't look at your application usually until they retrieve your DAT scores. i would recommend not taking it any later than august-september.

3. yes i think that sending out applications in october-november is much too late. apps should be turned in ASAP!!!

5. DATS can only be retaken AFTER the 3 month waiting period...

hope this helps! start cracking!

Thanks for the fast reply. So instead of taking Orgos over the summer, should I use that time to just study on my own and take the DATs and apply by August? Or will schools hold off on my application until they see my Orgo scores from Fall 08 and Spring 09?

well understanding your situation, this is what i would do.

i would definitely take the DAT ASAP and study for that. it is alright to apply w/o your orgos and to provide them the grades later on. schools understand that you will not fulfill all the classes by the time you apply. so if you think you can't handle the orgos and the DAT during the summer, then just go right ahead and take the orgos during fall and spring. regardless, you need the DAT score to even have schools consider you at all.

so.....

go to the ada website and sign up for the DAT as soon as you can b/c spots fill up pretty fast. choose a date as soon as may if you want to have your scores from the DAT before applications roll in. if you don't feel you don't have enough time to study, then aim for june-august but no later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same situation. I took Ochem1&2 summer sessions 1&2 and took the DAT about 3 weeks before Ochem 2 was finished. I wasn't taking any other courses during the summer, though. Bio 2 is pretty important and much broader than Ochem. Ochem is very straight-forward, you will probably find it to be one of the easier sections on the DAT. Summer classes will provide you with most of the orgo studying you need, but you might have to work ahead depending on when you take the DAT.

I think you should go for it, though, and get your DAT done before September and Organic out of the way. I spent a lot of time over the summer studying ahead for Ochem and studying everything for the DAT, but I also spent a lot of time playing with my son and going to the YMCA with my wife!

That's a relief. So, this all may be doable after all. Alot of advice is centered around getting the DAT and apps done earlier in the summer. Average DAT studying time I've read on these boards is two months. I think it may be a good idea to attack PAT, Quant and RC NOW so this way I can focus on mostly the science section during the summer. What do you guys think? Also, since there will be a lot of self teaching for Orgo and Bio, what is the BEST study guide?

I like Cliffs AP bio a lot. The cell division and heredity chapters basically covered the exact same topics as the first month of my genetics class this semester. I have Schaum's outline of biology also but I think it's a little too wordy. Haven't looked much at the Kaplan bio review stuff yet.

irrizistuble, i would tackle the g chem and ochem first because they are the easiest to master. memorize the kaplan blue book first. i only studied that but of course more resources are good. biology, math, pat should be all looked at once a day. biology and math are just dang too crazy...but cliff's AP all the way!