Recommendations/study aids for psychiatry shelf exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BONDFAN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone out there have any study aids they feel will help ace the psychiatry shelf exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Much needed bump . . . .

I'm using the Kaplan Psych noteset (circa 2009) to study for the Psych shelf. I noticed, within the Psych section, there's a lot of epidemiology/biostatistics. Not sure why this was placed in the psych section.

Is there a lot of epi/stat on the Psych shelf? (I'm aware that there can always be some epi/stat, on any shelf exam . . . but I was just wondering if it's especially emphasized in Psych).

Also, a question for any of you who used PreTest for Psych: It seems like a good resource. I noted that there's a lot of Neurology (factoids about EEG tracings, questions about specific lesions/manifestations, etc). Is there a lot of neuro on the Psych shelf?

Thanks,

I just used FA for psych. Read through it twice, honored the shelf.

I can't comment on Kaplan nor pre-test because I didn't use either
I did the UWorld questions for psych but didn't find them too helpful.

I remember zero neuro being on the psych shelf. FA for psych is money. It is the exact breadth and depth that you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just used FA for psych. Read through it twice, honored the shelf.

I can't comment on Kaplan nor pre-test because I didn't use either
I did the UWorld questions for psych but didn't find them too helpful.

I remember zero neuro being on the psych shelf. FA for psych is money. It is the exact breadth and depth that you need.

The above post is spot-on.

My shelf didn't have any biostats, and I only had 1 child development question. Pretest and Case Files are OK, but there are a lot of grey questions (like every third year shelf), and what I learned fron reading FA psych helped me figure out the answers.

Piece of advice, pharm is big on the psych shelf (not so much on others). Know your antipsychotics and antidepressants and anxiolytics well.