Recommended Extracurricular Activities for maximizing chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremd009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apart from clinical volunteering and research. Which activities are highly recommended to maximize URM chances? I'm interested in some top schools but my EC's looks too cookie cutter type.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Look into some community service orgs, especially ones that allow you to do community service in a health setting. Med schools should connect the work that you do in your current community to the work that you will do as a doctor in the future.

Also, look into some pre-medical orgs so that you can get in touch with other pre-med students. Those should be super helpful.

Meh, I wouldn't necessarily say that you have to volunteer in something health-related. If you already have health-related experience, I would suggest something outside of medicine like mentoring at a local elementary/middle/high school. Obviously, that's only if you haven't already. Look into community gardens. One my experiences was helping to develop a lot in a local neighborhood. We cleaned it all out and started planting food that would be avaible for the people in the community. It's a great way to get the know the community and do something that will actually benefit them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from clinical volunteering and research, do something you enjoy and wouldn't mind committing time to. Something that shows service and or leadership would look particularly dope on an application.

Yea it definitely doesn't have to be health-related. Any type of community service would be great.

I always appreciate people who volunteer in hospice or nursing homes, and for non-clinical, being a Big Brother/Sister, Habitat for Humanity, tutoring and/or reading to poor kids. Your local houses of worship will also have plenty of opportunities. Kery thing: service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Apart from clinical volunteering and research. Which activities are highly recommended to maximize URM chances? I'm interested in some top schools but my EC's looks too cookie cutter type.

Reactions: 1 users
I always appreciate people who volunteer in hospice or nursing homes, and for non-clinical, being a Big Brother/Sister, Habitat for Humanity, tutoring and/or reading to poor kids. Your local houses of worship will also have plenty of opportunities. Kery thing: service to others less fortunate than yourself.

I never thought about that. I think I also will look into this.

Reactions: 1 user
The one I was most asked about during interviews was coaching a little league baseball. It was also, by far, the EC I had the most fun with. Be ready for questions though, I had at least 3 interviewers ask me how I would teach a kid to pitch a ball or swing a bat.