Recommended online courses for Vet School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoRey14

c/o 2020!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I want to take some classes online this summer.

The summer after undergrad, I took two online courses (5 semester units each) and got 2 C's (I know that's bad, but I did this in order to fulfill a requirement for undergrad, so the grade didn't count toward my cumGPA, however, I know this would probably look bad to Vet Schools admissions). In the following year during my grad program, I was able to obtain a 3.9 GPA totaling 38 semester units.

The 2Cs really bring down my 3.9 GPA. I am hoping I can take 7 more units this summer, obtain good grades, and use this new total as my last 45 GPA.

TLDR: Would it be okay to take some additional online classes at my local community college to do so to boost my last 45 gpa? Any insight or recommendations on what (preferably affordable) online classes I can take that would be beneficial towards Vet School? Hope this makes sense! Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you explain how these classes won't count toward cGPA if they were a requirement for your undergraduate degree?

Sorry, I meant they didn't count toward my undergrad cumGPA, they just fulfilled my requirement to graduate. They still count for my cumGPA overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you explain how these classes won't count toward cGPA if they were a requirement for your undergraduate degree?

Depends on the school. I took Gen Chem over the summer which was required for my major and therefore to graduate, however my school's policy was that it wouldn't be factored into my overall GPA unless it hurt it. Which led to an annoyed phone call by me because with those grades I would have graduated cum laude.

Anywho, I'm not sure it will be a major issue, but it might depend on what type of classes you take. And Intro Bio class might not carry as much weight as a more challenging upper level. I'd also verify whether or not the schools you are applying to even factor in Graduate GPAs into their calculations. Not all of them factor them in the same way.

at Virginia Tech, all courses took outside of the school were only counted as credit or not credit. they didn't factor in the grade at all (you either passed or didnt essentially). for example, i took a math class and both physics classes and earned 11 credits for that and fulfilled the requirements, but those grades did not go on my VT transcript, just that they had been completed.

HOWEVER, vet school definitely used those grades for calculating GPAs, so its not like i had the liberty of getting C's in physics without it haunting me.
---
As for the OP, you might consider asking the schools you're looking to apply to what they'd like to see you do before you go spending a ton of money on classes. they might not be able to give you much advice, but if they did it might save you a bunch of money.

I just thought of an instance in my school where you could take trig without it factoring into your GPA... Forgot it was a thing lol. But yes--definitely contact the schools individually on the logistics of GPA calculations. Will these courses count, how does grad GPA factor, etc!

The 2Cs really bring down my 3.9 GPA. I am hoping I can take 7 more units this summer, obtain good grades, and use this new total as my last 45 GPA.
TLDR: Would it be okay to take some additional online classes at my local community college to do so to boost my last 45 gpa? Any insight or recommendations on what (preferably affordable) online classes I can take that would be beneficial towards Vet School? Hope this makes sense! Please help.
I guess I just want to mention that, at least for UMN, the last 45 credits include all of your classes taken in the semester where you got your most recent 45th credit (if that makes sense). So you'd really have to take enough credits to make your last 45 all fall before your summer of less-than-stellar grades if you didn't want any of them to count. Just something to consider.

I guess I just want to mention that, at least for UMN, the last 45 credits include all of your classes taken in the semester where you got your most recent 45th credit (if that makes sense). So you'd really have to take enough credits to make your last 45 all fall before your summer of less-than-stellar grades if you didn't want any of them to count. Just something to consider.

I think this is the case with most schools if I recall correctly. It's been a while since I applied though so I don't fully remember.

I'm really interested in applying to UMN! I just want to make sure I accurately understand what you mean -- if I were to take more units this summer, those units completed (as long as if it were taken at a 4 year university) would be considered the most recent, so that would included as my last 45, correct?

Thanks for all your responses!

I'm really interested in applying to UMN! I just want to make sure I accurately understand what you mean -- if I were to take more units this summer, those units completed (as long as if it were taken at a 4 year university) would be considered the most recent, so that would included as my last 45, correct?
They way that I understand it, they take your most recent transcript, and start counting backward to 45. Once they reach that 45th credit, the semester that 45th credit is in (say spring soph year) that whole semester gets counted too intoi your "last 45 GPA"

Reactions: 2 users

Unless the vet school specifies that classes need to be at a 4-year school, they don't have to be. And if your summer classes were on your transcript that you send to the school, then since they are your most recent that would be the schools starting point.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! I want to take some classes online this summer.

The summer after undergrad, I took two online courses (5 semester units each) and got 2 C's (I know that's bad, but I did this in order to fulfill a requirement for undergrad, so the grade didn't count toward my cumGPA, however, I know this would probably look bad to Vet Schools admissions). In the following year during my grad program, I was able to obtain a 3.9 GPA totaling 38 semester units.

It depends on what you've already taken. Have you taken A&P and animal nutrition?

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on what you've already taken. Have you taken A&P and animal nutrition?
I've taken A&P. I was thinking of taking an animal nutrition or speech class since some vet schools require them.

They way that I understand it, they take your most recent transcript, and start counting backward to 45. Once they reach that 45th credit, the semester that 45th credit is in (say spring soph year) that whole semester gets counted too intoi your "last 45 GPA"
If I were to take a summer course this year...but was not able to submit grades before the VMCAS deadline, I read on the APVMA forum online that you can resend updated transcripts to VMCAS? Is this true? I just want to make sure my summer course grades will be counted in my last 45.

If I were to take a summer course this year...but was not able to submit grades before the VMCAS deadline, I read on the APVMA forum online that you can resend updated transcripts to VMCAS? Is this true? I just want to make sure my summer course grades will be counted in my last 45.
I think if you were to wait until late August to submit, you should be able to get your summer transcripts in on time.

Which classes did you take at those institutions if I may ask? Any recommendations?

I took animal nutrition and animal genetics at O(k)SU and business finance at OU. Since you are just padding your GPA, I'd take classes that sound interesting. I'd probably look into animal science, technical writing, or German. Your interests will obviously be different :)

Another thought, check with the schools you want to apply to and see how they handle retaken courses. Some replace the grade and some average it (so a C and an A make a B). It may be most worthwhile to your GPA to retake those two courses. Mathematically it does a lot more for your GPA than continuing to add more courses.

I took animal nutrition and animal genetics at O(k)SU and business finance at OU. Since you are just padding your GPA, I'd take classes that sound interesting. I'd probably look into animal science, technical writing, or German. Your interests will obviously be different :)

Another thought, check with the schools you want to apply to and see how they handle retaken courses. Some replace the grade and some average it (so a C and an A make a B). It may be most worthwhile to your GPA to retake those two courses. Mathematically it does a lot more for your GPA than continuing to add more courses.
One of my top schools is UMN actually! And they have a retake policy.. to my understanding, after 3 years, they replace your grade w/ the new one. I was thinking of taking both animal nutrition and genetics at OkSu. I want to look into if the animal genetics course at OkSu fulfills the genetics requirement some schools have. Thanks for your help!

I've taken A&P. I was thinking of taking an animal nutrition or speech class since some vet schools require them.

I took Animal Nutrition through Purdue. It was self-paced, so you should be able to get the grades in before VMCAS closes. Just check with the professor to make sure he'll be available to grade and send exams. He was out of town for a week or two when I took it over the summer, but I still got done very quickly. He was so fast on grading and getting things back to you.

Thanks everyone! I went w/ OKstate online, and was admitted as a non-degree seeking student.

Does anyone know how long it takes until I can be able to enroll in classes? There is a currently a "hold" on my account stating I need to speak to an academic advisor first, but I've spoken to admissions via email, and they've said I can enroll. I emailed them again right now, but I was wondering if had any input. Thanks again!

I've taken classes at OkState (nutrition and genetics). They average about $500.
http://is.okstate.edu/courselist.aspx

And one at OU for my undergrad degree (finance).
http://cidl.ou.edu/d2l/courses/independentstudy.cfm

Did you mean the average course comes out to a total of $500? Or per unit?
So I enrolled in OkState online as a non-degree seeking student for two classes, and the balance I owe came out to more than $4000! I enrolled in 6 units.

These were the charges posted:
SUMMARY - TUITION CHARGES
SUMMARY - UNIVERSITY WIDE FEES
SUMMARY - COLLEGE/COURSE FEES

The tuition makes up the most of the charges. This has to be a mistake right?