Recommended test prep courses for new MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxabi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am considering re-taking the MCAT in the spring and plan to self-study in addition to taking a prep course. I have found a lot of information on which prep courses were better for the old MCAT; however, I wasn't able to find much on individuals who prepped for the new MCAT with a course.

Can anyone offer insight into the courses they took prior to taking the new MCAT and how they felt about them? In my area, I am fortunate to be able to take any of the test prep courses - Kaplan, PR, and EK. (I've already ruled out Berkeley Review). Also I'm leaning to taking an online course instead of in-person due to my FT work schedule; however, if in-person classes have been beneficial, I would be happy to consider that as well.

Also, if I missed a thread about this, my apologies and I would greatly appreciate it if someone could link it down below!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Also I'm leaning to taking an online course instead of in-person due to my FT work schedule; however, if in-person classes have been beneficial, I would be happy to consider that as well.

It will be hard to prep for the MCAT without daily commitment of 2-4 hours at the very least(asides from weekends). Will you be able to study and retain the review materials? If so, then here's my advice:

Prep courses are not useful unless you have forgotten over 60%of the material. I took one and didn't feel like I gained anything.

It is just better to spend time with the material yourself. You have so many free online lectures you can use instead of prep course online lectures. Read through the materials yourself in your own pace, identify your weakness through practice tests are the best way to do it. Because no matter what test company/other people said about prepping, you know yourself the best.

It will be hard to prep for the MCAT without daily commitment of 2-4 hours at the very least(asides from weekends). Will you be able to study and retain the review materials? If so, then here's my advice:

Prep courses are not useful unless you have forgotten over 60%of the material. I took one and didn't feel like I gained anything.

It is just better to spend time with the material yourself. You have so many free online lectures you can use instead of prep course online lectures. Read through the materials yourself in your own pace, identify your weakness through practice tests are the best way to do it. Because no matter what test company/other people said about prepping, you know yourself the best.

I completely agree with you, I guess I'm just nervous because I am retaking the MCAT (from a previous score 29) and would hate to get the same or worse score the second time around. That's why I was considering a course. But I totally get your viewpoint, I would definitely prefer self-studying.

I personally took an online Kaplan course, but I felt that it only helped me improve on my Psych and CARS. The Chem/Phys and Bio did not really help me, however they did give me experience in how it feels to take an MCAT. If you get a test prep course, you must take the time to properly invest in it to benefit your score.