PhD/PsyD Recommended undergraduate electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMoren

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. My university's psychology program has a bunch of electives and barely any requirements. I've been taking classes that focus on the clinical side of psychology (Theory of personality, Behavior modification, Psychopathology, etc.) However, seeing as I have an interest in neuroscience and neuropsychology, I was wondering what classes I should take now that will help me in graduate school. I've taken Biology I and II, any other nat sci classes I should take? Chemistry perhaps? It would feel wrong to take any neuroscience class without a natural science foundation...

Members don't see this ad.

Classes wont do anything to get you into graduate school.

That said, If you have an interest in the brain behavior side of psychology, I would encourage neuroscience courses, animal models of learning, advanced stats classes. Org chem possibly, but even med students have a hard time finding the applicability there, so...

Last edited:
Classes wont do anything to get you into graduate school.

That said, If you have an interest in the brian behavior side of psychology, Ia would encourage neuroscience courses, animal models of learning, advanced stats classes. Org chem possiblly, but even med students have a hard time finding the applicability there, so...

All of this.

I actually didn't mind Org Chem…but it is very "tree" v. "forest" focused, so much of what you'd learn is so specific that it really can't easily be brought over and applied to other areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I targeted small seminar classes on various psych topics so that I could get to know professors better and they could write me better rec's. It worked well. I even got comments during interviews that my rec's were outstanding.

Anecdotally, I took organic chemistry as an undergraduate, and now taking graduate level neuroscience classes, I have not found there to be any benefit. I do feel that having a solid foundation in biology and chemistry has helped, but not necessary, as we have reviewed any relevant chemistry as needed.

If you are interested in neuroscience, I would suggest taking whatever undergraduate options you have in that area to learn more. Thinking about 'electives' more broadly, you will also want to gain as much research experience as you can, so you may want to consider seeing if you are able to join any neuropsychology-focused research labs.

I'd suggest taking stats courses, or as others mentioned something topically related to your interests (org chem if you want to do cortisol studies, neuro something if you're interested in that, etc etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Things like biochemistry (after gen chem) could help understand some of the more fine-tuned neurochemical-type work that's going on. Gen chem itself could be useful just for the basic exposure to that material, even if you don't go on to anything else afterward. If possible, I'd suggest going for the versions that offer labs (my undergrad had two varieties: "for science majors" and "for non-science majors"); I didn't exactly enjoy most of them at the time, but it really does help you learn the material better.

I took most of the standard pre-med gauntlet besides physics, but it's been so long and it all blurs together so much that it's tough for me to say which specific classes (if any) were particularly helpful in grad school.

Does your university have a graduate MS or PhD psychology program? It would be good to be on research team and you can get credit in lab doing research with graduate students and professors.

Take stat/research classes in the stat department. Keep your GPA above 3.35 but don't resort to taking basket weaving or PE classes to artificially boost your GPA.

If you are attending a small college you may need to take some courses at a major university close to where you are located to benefit from the major university resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your advice! My psychology program requires one statistics class and two research methods classes. Are you all suggesting I take extra statistics classes? I didn't love stats but I know it's incredibly helpful. Unfortunately, my university doesn't offer much in neuroscience or neurobiology at the undergrad level :( It's nice to hear I'll be able to follow the info at the grad level without too much background in natural sciences.

Well, "follow" is a fairly broad term. Do you need a significant background in neurobiology, biochem, etc., to be able to read neuroscience articles and know what's going on? No. But would that be necessary to actually be directly involved in such research? Yes, of course. You'll also likely just end up needing to do some self-study, depending on just how well you want to understand the subject area. That's the part where having a foundational knowledge in something like chem and bio might be worthwhile.

As for stats, I only took one course in undergrad and it didn't hurt me. If you take another, it would be more for your own benefit than anything else; you may need to re-take a similar class in grad school, but if it's not your best subject, the previous exposure to the material could be very helpful. Two research methods classes should be fine.

I would say take any class that interests you, it is an elective after all! Just make sure that you have the basic requirements that psychology grad programs typically ask for (e.g., statistics, intro psych etc), but you prob already do since you're a Psych major.

I definitely wish I took more statistics classes as an undergrad, and wish I took even more as a master's student. I would just gobble up all the stats and research methods I could. I think it helps a lot, in the sense that it helps provide evidence for your commitment to research if you mention in a personal statement that you gained experience in R, or EQS, or Matlab, or SAS, or something above and beyond SPSS and what you do in your regular stats/research methods classes. I know you said you don't really like it, but you may stumble across an inspiring professor or particularly enjoy one of them and have your opinion changed!

I didn't know what to do, so I just minored in biology because I thought I wanted to go into neuropsychology. I definitely regret it because I feel like I could've learned a lot of it on my own, whereas I definitely need that push from a professor in class to teach myself more advanced statistics.