Reconsider Podiatry School!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsmith888444

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really reconsider going to podiatry school! Some schools have a huge attrition rate where they weed out students like crazy. Western for example had a 40% attrition rate the last couple of years. Barry is weeding out like crazy too! Most schools have about a 20-30% attrition rate. Last year of the 550 that graduated around 80 students did not get placed in a residency. That is 15 percent!!! To spend 200K going through tough school, and not getting a residency (which is now required to practice) is horrifying. Why would you take that chance? At my school some of the top students did not get a residency! So basically, if you start podiatry school there is about a 30% chance you will not become a podiatrist. Do the math, and ask the questions. Ask the students during interviews. When I interviewed several years ago when this crisis was still happening I was told there was no shortage and everyone got a residency by my interviewer. Total lie!

DO THE RESEARCH BEFORE APPLYING OR SEATING!!!!

Sources:
http://www.podiatrytoday.com/blogged/how-combat-residency-‘shortage’

http://www.aacpm.org/pdf/AACPM_Residency_Statement_Apr10_2013.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

The only mistake about going to podiatry school is if you didn't want to be a podiatrist. Plain and simple. All health care fields have issues. Nothing is guaranteed. Check out any of my previous posts for information.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
in all seriousness we all know about the incoming stats of podiatry schools, that is the reason podiatry school has high attrition rates. Some people just should not get into podiatry school, but they do. As a result they end up failing out of the program because of not being able to handle the rigors of the program. There is a misconception that since podiatry school is easier to get into than it will be easier than the "traditional med school", but after finishing my first semester at WesternU's podiatry program. I can tell you that it's around equal difficulty compared to our fellow students at the "traditional med school".

Reactions: 1 users
Dude, why did you bump an old thread?

Reactions: 2 users