Reconsidering an Applicant Who Withdrew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillrothI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

A friend of mine was accepted to two schools last cycle: one low-tier school close to home and another top-tier school across the country. She ultimately opted for the top-tier school on the opposite coast and withdrew from the lower-tier school.

Today, one of her parents was diagnosed with a very serious medical condition and she has decided that it would be important for her to stay as close to home as possible. Is there any way that the lower-tier school would reconsider her application at this point? Or should she start thinking about deferring matriculation for a year at the top-tier school?

Appreciate any feedback that I can send her way.

Thanks!

-Bill

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would personally defer. More opportunities coming from top-tier. And it may be really hard to balance school with an ill parent. Give her a year to collect herself, come up with plans for the parent, get everything hashed out without worrying about school

If she wants to stay home and go to the low-tier, the school would be able to give her a better answer than our guesses.

Best wishes to your friend and her parents! Must be rough to manage two such major life events at the same time

Reactions: 1 user
Bill,

I have seen almost this exact same scenario before.

They should contact the school where they had the acceptance before, and explain the situation and ask if there's anything that can be done, including be shifted to top of the waitlist. The school isn't going to want to kick out anyone that is currently in the class, but given that she had an outright acceptance before they might see the logic in putting her to the top of the waitlist. Should ask about waitlist movement in that case.

This was advice I saw on SDN before that my friend used and it totally worked, they got "back" into the home school about 2 days after making the call, and about 2 weeks before the other school matriculated people.

They waited until they had the acceptance from the home school to tell the other school. That can burn bridges (although this person was able to interview there later for residency...).

The key points here is that schools can manage this if they are willing.

If they are not, then also asking the other school for a deferral is reasonable.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They should contact the school where they had the acceptance before, and explain the situation and ask if there's anything that can be done, including be shifted to top of the waitlist. The school isn't going to want to kick out anyone that is currently in the class, but given that she had an outright acceptance before they might see the logic in putting her to the top of the waitlist. Should ask about waitlist movement in that case.

This was advice I saw on SDN before that my friend used and it totally worked, they got "back" into the home school about 2 days after making the call, and about 2 weeks before the other school matriculated people.

They waited until they had the acceptance from the home school to tell the other school.
Wish I could "Like" this twice.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all very much for the advice. Really appreciate it. I have passed the information on to my friend, who will be calling the Dean directly on Monday. Fingers crossed that she gets some good news.

-Bill

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all very much for the advice. Really appreciate it. I have passed the information on to my friend, who will be calling the Dean directly on Monday. Fingers crossed that she gets some good news.

-Bill

If this goes the most reasonable way, which is putting her top of waitlist, it can still be tentorhooks to wait for movement. Some people it's been the day before orientation or even a few days in!!

My friend lost their deposit on a very nice apartment as they were all set for the OOS school. But it was worth coming "home" and the extra time for family.
I hope this all works out for your friend.

Someone said above to consider the wisdom of transferring. Certainly. My advice is assuming that they are set on coming home or deferring for their family.
As far as top tier vs not, the most importance of that will partly depend on what your ultimate goals are with competitiveness of specialty, or wanting fellowship.

Let us know what ends up happening!