Recovery from SDN Addiction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

attackemu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the month or so since being accepted into a PhD program, I still find myself compulsively coming to this website at least once a day, but these times are different. More and more often, I end up coming to an epiphany:

"Wait... I don't have any questions...I don't need to know what my chances are... I don't need to know if someone else has been accepted into my dream school....

.....I....I don't need to be here...?"

It will be a slow, painful, but ultimately refreshing and gratifying recovery.

...until I relapse again upon starting grad school. And when internships come around. And when next year's SDNers begin the application process and I relapse out of curiosity.

Members don't see this ad.

In the month or so since being accepted into a PhD program, I still find myself compulsively coming to this website at least once a day, but these times are different. More and more often, I end up coming to an epiphany:

"Wait... I don't have any questions...I don't need to know what my chances are... I don't need to know if someone else has been accepted into my dream school....

...until I relapse again upon starting grad school. And when internships come around. And when next year's SDNers begin the application process and I relapse out of curiosity.

ahahaha i feel the same exact way!

Yeah, you'll need this place even more when grad school starts.

Members don't see this ad :)

In the past few weeks, I've been checking the forums obsessively...especially while I'm at work. Literally, refreshing the page every 5 minutes to see if anything new has been posted. And I've already gone back to the beginning of time and read every single thread that's ever been posted on here. This isn't boding well for how my first year is going to go....I might need to block this site from my computer once I start! Anyone else doing the same thing? I think it might be a way to alleviate some of the anxiety I have about starting grad school....but then again, I could just be making that up :D

In the past few weeks, I've been checking the forums obsessively...especially while I'm at work. Literally, refreshing the page every 5 minutes to see if anything new has been posted. And I've already gone back to the beginning of time and read every single thread that's ever been posted on here. This isn't boding well for how my first year is going to go....I might need to block this site from my computer once I start! Anyone else doing the same thing? I think it might be a way to alleviate some of the anxiety I have about starting grad school....but then again, I could just be making that up :D

Currently reading at work ... pondering my plight come fall.

Stick around. :) I've actually met a rather good friend/research collaborator via SDN, so it has had legit professional benefits!

Which is exactly why it's called Student Doctor Network and not Student Applying to be Doctor Network. :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
So then its normal to obsessively refresh the forum and have it open at all times like my facebook when you are applying? :p

Mewtwoo and Dumbledoresgirl: I just want to take this opportunity to point out that some of the participants here have very, very nerdy names. I really should have been "remuslupin" or "gyrados." Maybe "gandalf_is_my_advisor."

My screenname is nerdy, too. You just will probably never get the reference... mwahahaha ;)

Hey, somebody caught my name. I'm sad you didn't comment about my profile picture, though. Its equally nerdy as that's no normal duck. :p

Lovin' all the nerdiness here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the phone app. And I actively check it - sometimes while driving. Point made.

My name is Rivi, and I am a SDN addict.

Mewtwoo and Dumbledoresgirl: I just want to take this opportunity to point out that some of the participants here have very, very nerdy names. I really should have been "remuslupin" or "gyrados." Maybe "gandalf_is_my_advisor."

My screenname is nerdy, too. You just will probably never get the reference... mwahahaha ;)

Hey, somebody caught my name. I'm sad you didn't comment about my profile picture, though. Its equally nerdy as that's no normal duck. :p

My avatar is nerdy, but NO ONE gets the reference, so maybe not?

My avatar says, "screw you hippies!"

My avatar is nerdy, but NO ONE gets the reference, so maybe not?

Maybe its just so nerdy that it takes the nerdiest of the nerds to get the reference? Sadly I am not apparently the nerdiest of the nerds because all I see is a cool falcon.

I'm obsessed with checking it before bed and when I wake up, and I'm also in grad school.

Let the nerdiness continue :cool:

I check it when I get to work at 7am, check it constantly while at work, then I leave work at 3 and check it at 3:30 so see if anything changed between when I left and when I got home...and then again before bed. I definitely have a problem.

Although if I may say so...I think this is a better way to procrastinate than Facebook :D

PS--I had no idea there was a phone app! I'm going to have to download that!

Last edited:
Although if I may say so...I think this is a better way to procrastinate than Facebook :D

I agree. It doesn't kill brain cells like the "lyke in 3 sec if u h8 cancer" status' and the like that run rampant on facebook.

i agree. It doesn't kill brain cells like the "lyke in 3 sec if u h8 cancer" status' and the like that run rampant on facebook.

If you repost this SDN post, a kid will get ten cents for his chemo treatments! ;-)

I agree. It doesn't kill brain cells like the "lyke in 3 sec if u h8 cancer" status' and the like that run rampant on facebook.

I'd like to think spending unjustifiably-large amounts of time here is better for my brain than just constantly Facebook refreshing (although the latter is actually blocked at most of the places where I work), but I think I might be lying to myself just a bit about that.

As a side note, does anyone here (read: dorks) not feel quite like an adult, despite having sensible shoes and paying rent on time every month? Am I the only one who plays Pokemon Black on the train to my field practicum site?

As a side note, does anyone here (read: dorks) not feel quite like an adult, despite having sensible shoes and paying rent on time every month? Am I the only one who plays Pokemon Black on the train to my field practicum site?

I still live with my family so I can't quite say I fit the "adult" role yet, but I believe I'm one of the more mature people in my age group... yet I still love Pokemon (while less mature people think it's kids stuff). I don't think you are alone because I'm sure once I'm in grad school nothing will keep me away from my beloved Pokemon. Also for B & W the age demographic of players was half 9-10 year olds and half 20-30 year olds, so don't feel so bad. :p

You still haven't finished Black yet?! I finished like last year. I'm trying to wait for B & W 2 patiently.... though I plan on buying Pokemon Conquest once this semester is over...

... I'm going to go hide in the nerd/dork corner now that I've outed myself big time.

It's probably a combination of luck and virtue if you can get to 30 without having the inner child drained out of you. Another huge boundary is having your own kids, if you can put that off you can keep playing with your toys well into adulthood. My mom was married at 16 and had teenage kids before she was 30.

I still live with my family so I can't quite say I fit the "adult" role yet, but I believe I'm one of the more mature people in my age group... yet I still love Pokemon (while less mature people think it's kids stuff). I don't think you are alone because I'm sure once I'm in grad school nothing will keep me away from my beloved Pokemon. Also for B & W the age demographic of players was half 9-10 year olds and half 20-30 year olds, so don't feel so bad. :p

You still haven't finished Black yet?! I finished like last year. I'm trying to wait for B & W 2 patiently.... though I plan on buying Pokemon Conquest once this semester is over...

... I'm going to go hide in the nerd/dork corner now that I've outed myself big time.

SHAME! SHAME! NERD! No, actually, shame on me. I bought Black last year but didn't have much time to play it until recently, when my commute became horrible. My wife looks at Pottermore every day and curses because there are no new chapters. We are 24 and plan not to have kids. :D

You do realize there are 16 year olds running around that have never known a world before Pokemon, right? 'Course I never knew a world without the internet so I can't say much. :p

I've watched a majority of those shows so don't feel too bad.

SHAME! SHAME! NERD! No, actually, shame on me. I bought Black last year but didn't have much time to play it until recently, when my commute became horrible. My wife looks at Pottermore every day and curses because there are no new chapters. We are 24 and plan not to have kids. :D

You gotta finish it! It has an awesome ending. :]

you gotta finish it! It has an awesome ending. :]

Hoo boy. You just set my homework back a few hours.

EDIT: The thing about sixteen-year-olds, though -- that freaks me out. Know what else is freaky? My wife and I went to the Harry Potter section of Universal Studios and saw a kid who looked about eight years old pointing excitedly toward a display in a shop window: "Look, dad! That's Hermione's dress!" It occurred to us later that the kid was born a few years after the first book came out.

EDIT: The thing about sixteen-year-olds, though -- that freaks me out. Know what else is freaky? My wife and I went to the Harry Potter section of Universal Studios and saw a kid who looked about eight years old pointing excitedly toward a display in a shop window: "Look, dad! That's Hermione's dress!" It occurred to us later that the kid was born a few years after the first book came out.

I'm eleven years older than my sister and she's read more of the Harry Potter books than I have and I was like... 6 when the first book came out. Its really weird watching shows and having things that are older than my sister. Like I have a Power Puff Girls blanket that I still use that is probably a good 10 years older than her, haha. My first game boy and N64 are older than her.

Oh and also, your math. And 8 year old would've been born in 2004 so its not a "few years after" its a whole seven years after the first book they were born. :|

Also I am so jealous you got to go to the Harry Potter park. My mother is talking about taking my sister there during the fall (as she will be home schooled and can go places). This means I can't go because of school. Sad times.

You do realize there are 16 year olds running around that have never known a world before Pokemon, right? 'Course I never knew a world without the internet so I can't say much. :p

I've watched a majority of those shows so don't feel too bad.

I've shocked a teenager I was administering the WISC to by telling him that I played the original Pokemon when it came out. Apparently, that makes me, very, very old.

I've shocked a teenager I was administering the WISC to by telling him that I played the original Pokemon when it came out. Apparently, that makes me, very, very old.

I did too? My first game was Pokemon yellow. I was seven-ish when I played it and I'm not quite 21. I guess that's old, haha.

Oh and also, your math. And 8 year old would've been born in 2004 so its not a "few years after" its a whole seven years after the first book they were born. :|

Oh, wait, you're right. I was thinking of when the third book came out (when I started reading the series). That is...worse.

Pokemon?!

E'gads!

Get off my lawn! :mad:

Holy crap! I can't believe I didn't get it before. And here I thought you just liked birds.

Another Ani fan? :D

(Tobias was my favorite growing up and not *solely* because my 8 year-old self had a crush on his cover model. ;))

I did too? My first game was Pokemon yellow. I was seven-ish when I played it and I'm not quite 21. I guess that's old, haha.

I never played past Red/Blue/Yellow (well, okay, I played maybe a half of Gold before losing interest), so I still think of there only being 150 Pokemon. I think if I told kids this, their heads might explode. ;)

Last edited:
I never played past Red/Blue/Yellow (well, okay, I played maybe a half of Gold before losing interest), so I still think of there only being 150 Pokemon. I think if I told kids this, their heads might explode. ;)

I've played every generation except for one and I don't even know the exact number of them all or all of the new ones names. I think there is 600+ now. @.@