Recruiting Therapy Clients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marissa4usa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am in an "interesting position". This academic year I am completing my practicum in a clinic that is run by a professor in my department and serves a specific population. He doesn't do therapy himself but supervises students learning how to treat this particular population. Because the practicum opportunities in my department are limited (we all get placed but it's not uncommon to get placed with your third or fourth choice) and mediocre (my school is in fairly rural area), he agreed to supervise me doing regular therapy for individuals dealing primarily with depression and anxiety in his clinic.
Qualitywise, I am thrilled with my experience! He is an excellent supervisor, I'm learning how to implement empirically based treatments and get about 30-60 minutes of supervision for each client each week!
The problem is that because the clinic is only for a particular subpopulation and because nobody knows that this school year we're offering regular individual therapy, saying that it's difficult to recruit clients is an understatement. Consequently, I am not accruing enough hours which worries me a lot.
To date, I have sent out hundreds of pamphlets to private practices, churches, and community centers. In a few instances I even met with church leaders and psychologists from private practices, and explained to them who we are and that we'd like them to refer people to us. My professor has contacted local mental health clinics and agencies to refer people to us. We posted an ad in the local newspaper advertising our services. Given that our services are free or $15 at the very most, I literally expected the phone to not stop ringing (just...that wasn't the case). Yes, a few people call us once in a while and we couldn't take them on as clients (e.g. if they are involved in legal issues), but for the most part the problem is that simply nobody is calling.
We have no money; paying the $80 for a tiny newspaper ad essentially put us in the negative. I literally spend some of my personal money on printing pamphlets.

Both my supervisor and I are at our wits end. He has supervised other students for regular, individual treatment before and has never had any of these issues.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I am in an "interesting position". This academic year I am completing my practicum in a clinic that is run by a professor in my department and serves a specific population. He doesn't do therapy himself but supervises students learning how to treat this particular population. Because the practicum opportunities in my department are limited (we all get placed but it's not uncommon to get placed with your third or fourth choice) and mediocre (my school is in fairly rural area), he agreed to supervise me doing regular therapy for individuals dealing primarily with depression and anxiety in his clinic.
Qualitywise, I am thrilled with my experience! He is an excellent supervisor, I'm learning how to implement empirically based treatments and get about 30-60 minutes of supervision for each client each week!
The problem is that because the clinic is only for a particular subpopulation and because nobody knows that this school year we're offering regular individual therapy, saying that it's difficult to recruit clients is an understatement. Consequently, I am not accruing enough hours which worries me a lot.
To date, I have sent out hundreds of pamphlets to private practices, churches, and community centers. In a few instances I even met with church leaders and psychologists from private practices, and explained to them who we are and that we'd like them to refer people to us. My professor has contacted local mental health clinics and agencies to refer people to us. We posted an ad in the local newspaper advertising our services. Given that our services are free or $15 at the very most, I literally expected the phone to not stop ringing (just...that wasn't the case). Yes, a few people call us once in a while and we couldn't take them on as clients (e.g. if they are involved in legal issues), but for the most part the problem is that simply nobody is calling.
We have no money; paying the $80 for a tiny newspaper ad essentially put us in the negative. I literally spend some of my personal money on printing pamphlets.

Both my supervisor and I are at our wits end. He has supervised other students for regular, individual treatment before and has never had any of these issues.

Thanks!
If you are working with adolescents or children too then you can try contacting some of the school counselors, they are usually overloaded. Also, even though you are relatively inexperienced, what do you bring to the table? What are your own interpersonal barriers? You have to learn to market yourself. This is a great opportunity to see that building a practice is not so easy!

Reactions: 1 user