redo residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seeking987

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Practicing FM wanting to do IM residency. Reason--> want to specialize in I.D. any suggestions? is it possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it's possible. Not easy, but possible. Best option is the IM program at the place where you did med school or residency. Biggest issue will be getting LORs. Talk to people you know...go from there.

The good news is that, since you want to do ID (and not something competitive) you're much more open to whatever IM program will take you.

It's definitely possible. Depending on the program, they can offer you 1 year of credit for your 3 years of FP work, but they may not. It's completely up to the program. You apply and see what happens.

I'm just going through this process-matched this year into IM out of FM. PM me if you want to chat. Definitely doable. Like everyone said, easiest is to go through home institution. Maybe also consider affiliated programs in the community-is your hospital affiliated with a program? Need good LORS. Funding will be less than other applicants who have never done a residency, but this won't necessarily be a deterrant at all. Lots of stuff to consider, but if you are determined you definitely should do it.
May I ask what kind of practice you have now/why you want to change?