Reference Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrScrub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

If someone were to apply for Medical School this coming cycle, when would be an appropriate time to ask professors for reference letters (to make sure they have enough time to write it, but also not so late that my profs from first year forget about me! :p)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I asked in February - March. This is probably fine. It gives them a few months (in all likelihood, though, they're going to crank that out the weekend before you need it submitted).

Ask them 2 weeks in advance. It's the perfect amount of time because they won't put it in the back of their mind and forget about it. Also, if they don't know you that well, give them a CV or resume! And you can even invite them to lunch or something casual so they can get to know you better! Make sure you pay, lawllll

Members don't see this ad :)
A professor told me that 1 month is adequate time. However most of my letter writers took over a month to write it. So I would say 2 months ahead of time, make sure you give them a couple subtle and polite reminders... they need them

Definitely at least a month to be safe. You might be able to get away with shorter notice if you know the professor(s) well.

Ask them 2 weeks in advance. It's the perfect amount of time because they won't put it in the back of their mind and forget about it. Also, if they don't know you that well, give them a CV or resume! And you can even invite them to lunch or something casual so they can get to know you better! Make sure you pay, lawllll

Two weeks is not enough time, there's too high a chance they will have some major commitment, travel, or crisis interfering or just be irritated you didn't give them more time.

4 weeks is the courteous minimum, I think I gave mine 6. Then send reminders at reasonable intervals, something like two weeks, one week, and two days before if they haven't sent them in.

A professor told me that 1 month is adequate time. However most of my letter writers took over a month to write it. So I would say 2 months ahead of time, make sure you give them a couple subtle and polite reminders... they need them
I feel like 2 months is way too long, no? The professor would probably forget about it...

I feel like 2 months is way too long, no? The professor would probably forget about it...
I think with some people it might, but definitely give them at least a month. In my experience, the majority of college professors are busy ALL the time so be mindful of that.

I think it depends on if you know the professor well and or not. If it is someone you see regularly and have a good relationship with, I don't think you need to ask too far in advance. Maybe just mention that you are going to have them write a letter, and that you will provide more information/docs as the date approaches. If it is a professor that you don't know that well or had for a class 2 years ago, I would suggest going to their office hours a few times early on (now), have them get to know you and let them know you are interested in having them write you a letter. It is important that they know who you are, and know some of your qualities, etc, so that they can write you a good letter. I wouldn't request 2 weeks or even 1 month before, especially if it isn't a professor that knows you well. I've heard from numerous friends that professors have said no because they felt they didn't know the student well enough to write a letter. And, ofcourse, always ask the professor in person, not via email.

Most professors are incredibly busy. It's best to ask as early as possible.