Referring back to undergrad material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatUpDoc!

The Sign Says It All
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm in the process of cleaning out my room to get ready for the mass influx of study materials I'm sure M1 year will bring. I'm having a seriously hard time trying to decide whether or not to trash my Biochem/Genetics/Immunology...etc notes from undergrad because I don't know if they might make good referrence material later on down the line. At the same time, I've never been a pack rat I would rather not keep pounds of paper around that I'll never look at again. I was wondering if some current med students could weigh in on the debacle as to whether undergrad materials were helpful during med school. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

A few textbooks might (just might) be useful in med school as references, but trash your notes. The emphasis will be different and there is no shortage of study materials, from class transcripts to review books to your school's electronic resources (if they have them). You won't need old stuff. Congrats and good luck.

Definitely trash your notes. I don't even think I'd keep the books--I didn't ever have a need to look up something from pre-med. If you do, however, you can always look something up in your notes/books for MS1/2, med school library, or online. You're going to accumulate enough books and notes in med school, no need to have other clutter that you're very unlikely to ever touch again.