Regarding admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janlynjs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I studied in the Philippines for Nursing and just recently graduated. I am planning to take up Medicine here in California. Can anyone advise me with what initial steps I should take because I'm just so confused right now. I don't have anyone to help guide me and it's causing me to lose hope. I have already emailed the schools that I plan on applying to. I've inquired as well as asked for their advice.

UCSF replied back to me emailed this message:

We accept coursework and degrees from any accredited institution or the foreign equivalent. Graduates of foreign institutions are also required to complete a year of study at an accredited U.S. institution.

and UCDavis told me this:

ALL applicants to our school must have completed a MINIMUM of 90 semester hours or 135 quarter units of coursework from an accredited U.S. college. Coursework/degree completed in another country DOES NOT satisfy this requirement. I suggest that you submit a transcript from your school in the Philippines to a 4-year college near your home to determine how much credit you would be granted towards fulfilling an undergraduate degree at that school. In other words, plan on completing a bachelor's degree HERE in the U.S. THEN apply to medical school. This has been the easiest/quickest route for individuals with a similar background.

If you choose not to pursue this route then you should plan to enrolling at a 4-year college to complete a MINIMUM of 20 to 30 semester hours of upper-division advanced biology courses (e.g. biochemistry, genetics, molecular/cellular biology, physiology) BEFORE taking the MCAT then applying to medical school. You have our best wishes for your future endeavors.

If you were in my situation what would you do? I live in San Pablo California. I just recently came back from the Philippines and don't know any schools besides the community college here. Can anyone please help me please?

- What university or 4 year college can I apply to that would help me?
- Does anyone know any school near where I live that I could possibly attend.((I know there's the net for that but there might be other schools that I haven't found yet))
- Will I be qualified to go to that college/university?
- What requirements must I meet?
- What kind of student do I qualify as? a Transferee??

Note: ((Grading system in the Philippines is different compared to here.))

I would appreciate all your help. Thank you very much.

-

Members don't see this ad.

I'm across the country from you, so I can't give you exact advice, but I would go with option #1 from the second email. A foreign degree is not good enough to propel you into an allopathic medical schoool, so you will have to take US undergraduate courses one way or another. Also, just so you know, the schools that you contacted are ultra competitive, and generally the entire California school system is usually a little harder to get into than across the country. (One reason for it, is that they actually pre-screen your grades/MCAT before they sent out individual secondary school applications).

Your first step is getting the college courses, studying and taking the MCAT. When you apply, you should consider both osteopathic and allopathic medical schools. Go on wikipedia and look up D.O. to learn more about Doctor of Osteopathy. I think that would be a very very wise thing to do in your situation. Keep and open mind and keep your options open.

Also, when you apply for med school, it is almost universal that most people who take the process seriously apply to 20+ schools in many states. So definitely don't just focus on California schools, or just allopathic M.D. granting schools.

This forum is filled with California residents, and someone will definitely be friendly enough to give you more tailored advice. You've come this far (America), so make the best of it. Good luck!

Thank you for replying to my post and advising me. My mind was so confused just a little while ago. At least now, I have a fixed plan. I hope that I'll be able to fulfill the first few steps to applying to a medical school. I know it will be a challenge but I'm willing to do everything I can to achieve my goal. Hopefully someone will be able to give me more specific advice. Again, I would like to thank you for taking your time and reading this post!

Members don't see this ad :)