Regional anesthesia texts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ketamininus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own any of the below regional anesthesia texts? If so, could you comment on any of them...perhaps an ad hoc review? (links included)

Anesthesia Unplugged

Complications of Regional Anesthesia (Paperback)

Complications in Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (Hardcover)

Regional Anesthesia: The Requisites

I only have the Peripheral Nerve Blocks: Principles and Practice by Hadzic, and am looking to pick up one or two others. I've also heard that the Atlas of Regional Anesthesia by Brown is also good, but it's also a fair amount pricier than the others. I need to stretch my resident book money as far as it will go.

Feedback appreciated. Thanks!

- Ket

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't get any of the 4 books mentioned.

Def get Hadzic. The atlas is excellent for constructing things in your mind. However you may find it more useful to get a regional U/S text instead of that one. Regardless, its a nice book to have. But not essential as a resident with limited amount of income.

Maybe you can find a used one.

As we move more and more towards ultrasound guidance, the traditional regional "bibles" become less the definitive texts. I suspect over the next couple of years, those texts will adapt with newer editions that offer more ultrasound stuff.
I always really liked Brown's atlas, but it has no ultrasound. Hadzik is excellent as well(he actually has a text and an atlas; both are good). The anesthesia unplugged book got ripped in a review in one of the major journals recently(either A&A or Anesthesiology). It is rare that I see a text get such a blatantly bad review. Normally they suck up to the author. Hell, even aghast's plastic surgery book got a positive review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a link that is a great source of quick info. There is a textbook by Hadzic as well, but for the day to day resident requirements (as Vent eluded to) use the website (especially the U/S tutorials) and departmental textbooks.

I have noticed that CA3s start cashing in on any available book money, and it is usually directed at field of interest. Just watched the chief lug the Hadzic text home the other day.

Here's the link: http://nysora.com/

The only thing the Hadzic "peripheral nerve blocks: principles and practice" lacks is the Supraclavicular Block. Which is THE block for below the elbow surgery IMHO.

You can get that out of another source or from his big a$$ text. Its not worth the price of entry however unless you are going to do a regional fellowship or go ape$hit on the regional as an attending. Too much detail for a resident (well a resident like me anyways), again, IMHO.

The Hadzic bible is a must for those truly serious in regional. As far as a complications textbook, I prefer the Finucane textbook (paperback) to the Neal textbook (hardcover). David Brown's book is also a must have for those interested in regional.