Regions in St Paul

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sundermannr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I get a little chat on Regions? I really liked it and thought that they have a great variety between a privately owned but county supported program. Gang bangers to suburban gardeners. They have a great peds hospital and could use of few more rotations in their ED (since its across the street) but all the residents really feel like they see it all. Great staff with tons of experience and research. Give some info on why you would not go there. I thought it was great except for maybe just a touch slow at times, but that was pretty rare. Not nearly as busy as some of the counties, but a much better variety.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I've answered this question before, but the best answer I could give would be to post the email I got from one of the residents I met on interview day. Let's just say I prefer to go to a program where my colleagues are literate. If a resident trying to attract me to a program doesn't bother figuring out what a sentence, punctuation, and capital letters are, or learn how to spell before writing me a letter...can I really trust him to take care of the patients I sign out to him? True, its only one resident, but if he can get a spot there, who's to say there won't be more like that. I'm not asking for perfection, but come on, I've seen better letters written by 7 year olds. That resident, their general attitude on ultrasound (Oh yeah, we've got Ultrasound, well...FAST scans anyway,) and the location were the big negatives I saw.

My $0.02

Members don't see this ad :)
i didn't rotate at Regions but i did interview there and was actually quite impressed with the program.

i thought its strengths were: strong training yet quite humane and relaxed atmosphere, diverse patient population with good mix of "county type" patients and insured suburbanites, nice ED, good ems (but no longitudinal flight experience) exposure with opportunity to be asst ems director, benefits and salary are decent, great airway experience during 1st year, well organized trauma,

i thought its weak points were: still fairly new program, not much longitudinal peds experience for seasonal exposure although peds rotations are done at children's hosp which residents said was great, cold weather, vacation weeks are assigned (although requests are made the ultimate decision when you can have off is the program's), moonlighting is possible but not supported/promoted, u/s training seemed adequate but not exceptional.

overall i thought it was a program which contrasts the other twin cities program (hennepin) quite nicely. very different programs yet both are very strong programs.