Registered for 1/13/15 MCAT on a whim--good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickyP86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background, I graduated two years ago with an awful GPA. I retook my prereqs over the past 3 semesters and will be finishing up orgo 2 in the spring. The material is still mostly pretty fresh in my memory (with the exception of physics, which I seem to have forgotten completely) and I was planning on applying in the 2015 cycle for DO programs.

A seat opened up in my area for the MCAT and I took it, after my parents who happened to be in the room said I should just to at least see where I stand before continuing this madness of spending more money taking more classes to boost my GPA. So I signed up because I also want to avoid the 2015 MCAT, where I would have to take stats and biochem (I was a psychology major so maybe it would help to take the 2015 MCAT?) and further delay my application by doing so.

So between here and now, I thought I could go HAM and study as if it's my full time job til January 13, but panic is already setting in and I feel as if it won't be enough time. Granted, I won't have to review organic as much since I just finished orgo 1 this fall but I will pretty much have to relearn physics. Any suggestions? Should I just wait it out and take the dreaded 2015 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not sit for the MCAT unless you are consistently achieving an acceptable score on AAMC practice tests.

That said, you could definitely reach that point within one month. Especially if your goal is DO, and if you are good at standardized tests.

If you are not consistently scoring in an acceptable range, then there is a good chance the MCAT score will harm you. Having a low score and a higher score is much worse than just having the higher score. Medical schools (DO and MD) always see all of your scores, although they have different policies about how they weight them. I suspect most of them look at all the scores at least a little bit even if they have a specific weighting policy that ignores low scores.

An MCAT score is forever, so don't get a bad one "on a whim".

Reactions: 2 users
Take AAMC 3 and reassess. If you get at least a 24 on it, you can improve to an acceptable score.

Reactions: 1 user
It definitely depends on where you are starting.

You might find your "baseline" is not that far removed from your "goal", and therefore doable.

I found it valuable to take the free AAMC FL #3 to see where my baseline was. It is not normally recommended, but with such a short study time frame I think you may find use in doing so. If you are within 3-5 points of your target, you may be in a decent (though not ideal) spot. If you are scoring well below the mean for matriculating students at the schools you would like to attend, I would suggest waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also wanted to echo what @pithy84 said about making sure you are ready.

If you score poorly because you took the MCAT "on a whim", it will reflect poorly upon your judgement skills and indicate you didn't fully assess the gravity of such an exam.

Do not sit for the MCAT unless you are consistently achieving an acceptable score on AAMC practice tests.

That said, you could definitely reach that point within one month. Especially if your goal is DO, and if you are good at standardized tests.

If you are not consistently scoring in an acceptable range, then there is a good chance the MCAT score will harm you. Having a low score and a higher score is much worse than just having the higher score. Medical schools (DO and MD) always see all of your scores, although they have different policies about how they weight them. I suspect most of them look at all the scores at least a little bit even if they have a specific weighting policy that ignores low scores.

An MCAT score is forever, so don't get a bad one "on a whim".

Thank you. I guess it's too late for me to cancel and get my money back so I have the option to void it if I really feel unprepared when test day comes rolling around.

Take AAMC 3 and reassess. If you get at least a 24 on it, you can improve to an acceptable score.

I took the AAMC 3 and got a 23 :( haha

I'm hoping once I actually do some content review and retake another AAMC test it'll improve.

It definitely depends on where you are starting.

You might find your "baseline" is not that far removed from your "goal", and therefore doable.

I found it valuable to take the free AAMC FL #3 to see where my baseline was. It is not normally recommended, but with such a short study time frame I think you may find use in doing so. If you are within 3-5 points of your target, you may be in a decent (though not ideal) spot. If you are scoring well below the mean for matriculating students at the schools you would like to attend, I would suggest waiting.

I made a 23 when I took the free AAMC #3. The minimum at the school I want to attend is a 24, although of course I'm hoping to get higher. Thanks for the advice!

I would reflect the same sentiment as others - Don't take the MCAT unless you're consistently scoring at your desired average.

I pretty much did the same thing, I knew when I wrote this summer (32...) I let nerves get to me and didn't do as well as I could have. Bascially every practice test I made stupid errors because the idea of the MCAT terrified me
I signed up randomly for Jan 10th, and I didn't think I'd have time (3 weeks....) but I'm surprised how quick it;s coming back to me! I Just did my first FL today and got a 38-higher than I ever did all summer,
So I'd say see how it goes, and cancel later if it's not coming along!

On the other hand though, maybe if you are a psyc major the 2015 might be better for you, it's all a personal thing. I want to do the 2014 because I'm better at phys/chem than psyc for sure, but if you'd feel more comfortable with the 2015 subjects than that might be the best option for you!