Registered for board exam, but then deployed/sent TDY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what happens in this situation. Say one registers to take a board exam, pays up front, and all that stuff. Then said person ends up getting deployed or has to do a TDY during the time they would have taken the exam. What happens? Are you out a chance to take the exam and the money you paid?

Members don't see this ad.

Contact your board and see what choice you have. I believe that my board will allow the exam to be rescheduled, and credits all or some of the cost for deployments. What TDY would you be doing that's more important than your boards? Get your CO involved to ensure the command doesn't send you to something ******ed like CCC when you should be taking your boards.

Contact your board and see what choice you have. I believe that my board will allow the exam to be rescheduled, and credits all or some of the cost for deployments. What TDY would you be doing that's more important than your boards? Get your CO involved to ensure the command doesn't send you to something ******ed like CCC when you should be taking your boards.

Neither apply for now. It was just a hypothetical. I'd prefer to not waste $2k+ if I don't have to. How many years after completing a fellowship do we typically have to take the subspecialty board?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious what happens in this situation. Say one registers to take a board exam, pays up front, and all that stuff. Then said person ends up getting deployed or has to do a TDY during the time they would have taken the exam. What happens? Are you out a chance to take the exam and the money you paid?

Arraignments can be made to take one's boards whether deployed or during a TDY. There are those who were deployed to the middle east and got a chance to leave theater for a week or two for TDY to take their boards. Alternatively deployment orders can be amended to delay going or release early to get one's boards taken. CONUS TDY is not an issue.

Take your boards the first year out of fellowship. The longer one waits or procrastinates the more difficult it gets (work and family time commitments do not lessen the more time away from training).

Reactions: 1 user
Another potential question is if you are scheduled for spring orals and you get deployed and have to take them in the fall will they back pay you to your spring date for board certification pay.

Another potential question is if you are scheduled for spring orals and you get deployed and have to take them in the fall will they back pay you to your spring date for board certification pay.

Unlikely. Pay only starts on the date you took your exam (and passed). Most people are back paid because they find out results months later after taking their exam. If you have to get off cycle (due to deployment) for the orals, they are unlikely to back pay you.

Neither apply for now. It was just a hypothetical. I'd prefer to not waste $2k+ if I don't have to. How many years after completing a fellowship do we typically have to take the subspecialty board?
You're child psych, no? For most of the fellowships, you have at least 5 years post fellowship to sit.

This happened to me aftEr I finished residency. COT got scheduled during the only week a year i could do IM boards. An email in got a full refund.