Regret in doing a residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmJustice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of the current/past residents out there, do any of you regret doing a residency? If so, could you please provide some reasons?

I'm asking because during Midyear, I met quite a few people who were doing residencies and they were all regretting their choice to go into post-grad training. One reason that was cited several times was how "disappointed" they were with clinical pharmacy once they started their training.

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely do not regret doing a PGY-1. I think December is a tough time in residency land and people are pretty disgruntled so that might be part of what you heard at Midyear. I also think people have false expectations of what "clinical" (definition of that is for another thread) pharmacy is.

Here's the thing about my experience - when I was in the middle of it, I had no way of knowing how I would benefit in the future. But I did benefit in spades even though I ended up having a completely different job than I thought I would going into residency. I know without any doubt that I gained experience that has given me huge advantages in my job. I could have gotten my job without it but I could not do what I do without that experience. There are certainly other ways of obtaining experience than residency, I'm not denying that at all. My point is just that you don't realize at the time how will you benefit later.

I don't think residency is some golden ticket and expectations should be realistic and homework on the residencies should be done, but I do think more people benefit than don't. It probably won't be by better pay or benefits, but more through job satisfaction and being innovative in your career. JMO.

Most of the people who regret doing residency are the ones that shouldn't have done one in the first place. Make sure you are doing a residency because you want to and not because you think you have to. Residency is a rough ride while you're in it. You will work very hard and is far more demanding and different than student rotations.

I also do not regret doing residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've regretted it a few times, but not more than a passing thought that is probably more about wanting the days off and money than regret. I think it is because I would have been happy working in retail and residency can be pretty exhausting.

I agree with not doing residency unless it is really what you want and you need it to get the job that you want. I'm glad I'm doing residency, I just have to remind myself why I'm doing it sometimes!

My friend had a miserable time doing a residency and regrets it (but like all the above comments he did it for the wrong reasons, he thought more doors would open and he didnt want to be "behind" in comparison to all the future pharmacy students that will graduate with the 7 year program).

He did his residency at a well known and very competitive hospital in NY. But he said that he felt like he constantly had to prove himself to the other preceptors and that sometimes he felt belittled (and the thing is he was one of the top students in my class). But I think he felt miserable because of all the projects he had to do and all the journals he would have to read.

One thing you should do when going on interviews is to scope the site out. Ask yourself if you can picture yourself here, and also try to get to know the staff/preceptors there; even though you are on the interview you should interview too. You are going to be with these people for like 40+ hours a week and for a whole year, so you should like them then.

My friend had a miserable time doing a residency and regrets it (but like all the above comments he did it for the wrong reasons, he thought more doors would open and he didnt want to be "behind" in comparison to all the future pharmacy students that will graduate with the 7 year program).

That is a wrong reason? Most people are doing it for this reason (as will I, unless something pops up that I like and I don't have to do a residency for it). Not many other ways one can find at least somewhat of a clinical job at least somewhat not in the middle of nowhere nowadays.

That is a wrong reason? Most people are doing it for this reason (as will I, unless something pops up that I like and I don't have to do a residency for it). Not many other ways one can find at least somewhat of a clinical job at least somewhat not in the middle of nowhere nowadays.

True residencies open more doors. But from what most of my professors told my class; you should do a residency if you plan on specializing (or at least doing P1 and P2) or if you want to go into academia.

Yes, doing a residency helps open doors for you. But it doesnt open as many doors than you may think. My friend struggled months after completing his residency to find a job, and when he did manage to get one, it was to staff at a hospital overnight (but i guess thats to be expected in NYC). My other classmates that completed the P1 also had a hard time looking for jobs too. One had to move out of state and get licensed there to work in a hospital and the other just ended up back in retail. I think it is in part with the economy and how there is a hiring cap in most hospitals.

True residencies open more doors. But from what most of my professors told my class; you should do a residency if you plan on specializing (or at least doing P1 and P2) or if you want to go into academia.

Yes, doing a residency helps open doors for you. But it doesnt open as many doors than you may think. My friend struggled months after completing his residency to find a job, and when he did manage to get one, it was to staff at a hospital overnight (but i guess thats to be expected in NYC). My other classmates that completed the P1 also had a hard time looking for jobs too. One had to move out of state and get licensed there to work in a hospital and the other just ended up back in retail. I think it is in part with the economy and how there is a hiring cap in most hospitals.

Must be worse in Philly. Same amount of pharmacy students as NYC and a fifth of the population.

But yeah I figure I'll need to do a PGY2. I know the market for them was still OK a year or so ago. Hopefully it'll be alright by the time I'm done with the residencies.

Must be worse in Philly. Same amount of pharmacy students as NYC and a fifth of the population.

But yeah I figure I'll need to do a PGY2. I know the market for them was still OK a year or so ago. Hopefully it'll be alright by the time I'm done with the residencies.

Ya I went on interviews but afterwards I realized it wasnt for me because I felt like it was an unending process. I felt like if I were to do a PGY1 i would have to do a PGY2 then after that I probably would then probably have to specialize (you might as well)...and I didnt want to consume all of my effort into pharmacy, I want to start having a life after how miserable of a time I had in pharmacy school.

But its good that you want to do a PGY2, like what all my professors used to tell me.. doing a residency will help push your career 5 years ahead of everyone else.

Honestly...reading some of the same things over and over makes one say 'really'??
Right now, I believe if anybody knows anybody who knows somebody who did a residency and couldn't get a job in a metro area, they shouldn't bother posting, because that's a given. I just don't get it how people cannot seen to work on or be realistic about their expectations.

Honestly...reading some of the same things over and over makes one say 'really'??
Right now, I believe if anybody knows anybody who knows somebody who did a residency and couldn't get a job in a metro area, they shouldn't bother posting, because that's a given. I just don't get it how people cannot seen to work on or be realistic about their expectations.

I think it's relevant to find out this information. Some people do not mind or even prefer to practice in a rural setting. Personally, I could never live in a rural area. If I complete a residency, I would like to know that I can practice in a metro area. It does not have to be the same metro, but still a metro somewhere in the U.S.

Some people do not mind or even prefer to practice in a rural setting. Personally, I could never live in a rural area. If I complete a residency, I would like to know that I can practice in a metro area. It does not have to be the same metro, but still a metro somewhere in the U.S.
Me! I am not cut out for city livin'.

Have you lived in a more rural area? I feel like people on the boards automatically discount this option and that makes me sad. There are such great opportunities for pharmacists to really blaze some trails in rural health. I have so much more autonomy than I did when I worked at bigger institutions :thumbup: Lots of rural hospitals are just moving from having a community pharmacist come in after work and look over meds for an hour(!) so there is so much opportunity for development, innovation, process improvement and leadership. Not to mention you see everything you'd see in a bigger place. You really have to have a wide breadth of knowledge from peds to critical care to ID to psych.

I understand if it's not for you, it's not for you, but I hope that is an informed decision (not at all directed at you personally, janeno, just in general).

/rural health is awesome rant

I think it's relevant to find out this information. Some people do not mind or even prefer to practice in a rural setting. Personally, I could never live in a rural area. If I complete a residency, I would like to know that I can practice in a metro area. It does not have to be the same metro, but still a metro somewhere in the U.S.

Exactly my point. So it is about personal preference rather than not being able to get a job right? Residency is about gaining knowledge to perform a clinical job with (arguably) a good job security. It is not a function WHERE you would get the job. That's why I am talking about expectations. If people cannot realize this, then they are really going about residency the wrong way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was wondering if there are hospital pharmacy positions that don't require a residency? I thought I read a comment from somewhere that people with residency experience are not favored for staff pharmacist positions.

I believe doing or completed residency does not guarantee you a job. Residency can boost up your knowledge in the area you want to specialized in but it definitely not equal to getting you a job. The rougher and tougher the residency is, the better you will be prepared for the future in different senarios. BTW, I personally have not done any residency but does have some hospital experience which really requires clinical knowledge to handle the job well.

Hi,one of the above posts (about rural)remind me of options such as telemedicine. Wondering when RPhs. will be included in that.

Last edited:
I can only speak for myself, but I would not be anywhere near as happy as I am now with my career if I didn't do my residencies.

I believe doing or completed residency does not guarantee you a job. Residency can boost up your knowledge in the area you want to specialized in but it definitely not equal to getting you a job. The rougher and tougher the residency is, the better you will be prepared for the future in different senarios. BTW, I personally have not done any residency but does have some hospital experience which really requires clinical knowledge to handle the job well.

reading on your own and doing a few volunteer hours a week will give you the same experience WITHOUT ALL THE ****TY PROJECTS.

residency is great if you love writing up monographs, journal clubs, handouts, presentations.

those projects take time away from real clinical experience i found. in the end, i thought you would have had the same knowledge from just working and reading than doing the year with less pay and unsecured job.

remember, doing residency keeps you out of a PERMANENT position for another year. that is another year of job market getting worse. i wouldnt recommend it. residency doesnt give you an added skill like learning a new procedure.

the people who regret it are the ones not buying into all the pharmacy kool aid where they are conditioned to believe residency makes you better.

realists will see that it has no impact. you are fighting for staffing positions. "clinical" jobs don't open up, those people are usually life-longers in those positions.

Life is too short to live in regrets. Don't dwell on the negatives of the past experience but learn from it. Cherish the postives and the learning experience from your past. You'll be a happier person for it. Might even prevent cancer.

realists will see that it has no impact. you are fighting for staffing positions. "clinical" jobs don't open up, those people are usually life-longers in those positions.

So everything being equal, new grad vs. residency trained pharmacist...who'd get the staffing position?

I had an interview on Monday, and the chief pharmacist there said she had attended a convention a few months ago (don't remember which one) and she met a lot of new grads who were doing residencies, not because they wanted to, but because they couldn't find a "real" job and the half pay for a year or two was preferable to nothing at all.

This was a small hospital near a big city, and residency is not required as part of the job description.

I had an interview on Monday, and the chief pharmacist there said she had attended a convention a few months ago (don't remember which one) and she met a lot of new grads who were doing residencies, not because they wanted to, but because they couldn't find a "real" job and the half pay for a year or two was preferable to nothing at all.

This was a small hospital near a big city, and residency is not required as part of the job description.

sounds right to me

i was to talking to one director, and he was telling me how they have had to make their requirements and interview more stricter to weed out those who just want a job from those who really want to do residency

I'm doing a residency because the position that I want cannot be done without one. Period. Yes, there are people that are doing residencies "just to work in a hospital", and those people are probably losing out in the long run. But I am doing a residency because it's required of the position that I am going for, and because settling for a staff position isn't who I am.

So, to everyone saying "doing a residency is stupid because you lose a year of income" then speak for yourself.

I'm doing a residency because the position that I want cannot be done without one. Period. Yes, there are people that are doing residencies "just to work in a hospital", and those people are probably losing out in the long run. But I am doing a residency because it's required of the position that I am going for, and because settling for a staff position isn't who I am.

So, to everyone saying "doing a residency is stupid because you lose a year of income" then speak for yourself.

I heard the same kinds of things about getting a Pharm.D. when I graduated in 1994.

:thumbup:Amen to that.

And it is too bad that people are doing it just to get a job, but oh well. Guess more competition is just the way it's going to be for a while.

7 months in, has the thought of regrets passed through my mind? I think every resident has. When you are on your way home after a 20 hour day, fatigued out of your mind but thinking about the projects will keep you this way for another 3 months, who doesn't feel like cursing at the sky?

Missing out on $60 grand is a drop in the bucket in how much you'll be making through your career, so it's not really an issue. It's the lack of sleep and not feeling more appreciated that can get to you from time to time.

Residency is an investment into your own future and will play no small part in shaping your career. When I was a P4, I knew I wanted inpatient clinical, and that is pretty much 0% possibility of that happening without a residency. But how quickly the VA's inpatient clinical jobs dried up surprised me. Now I'll likely have to leave the VA system and or settle for a primary care jobs (which isn't my thing but booming due to obama).

The market is tight, and it's going to get tighter for a while. My advice for those who want a inpatient staffing position, do not do a residency. You won't benefit much from it and you'll compete with 10,000 more graduates next year. For those who wants a clinical position, I suggest you prepare yourself for a 2 year residency haul in areas such as oncology and psych. PGY-1 inpatient clinical market (eg. internal med) is pretty saturated.

7 months in, has the thought of regrets passed through my mind? I think every resident has. When you are on your way home after a 20 hour day, fatigued out of your mind but thinking about the projects will keep you this way for another 3 months, who doesn't feel like cursing at the sky?

Missing out on $60 grand is a drop in the bucket in how much you'll be making through your career, so it's not really an issue. It's the lack of sleep and not feeling more appreciated that can get to you from time to time.

Residency is an investment into your own future and will play no small part in shaping your career. When I was a P4, I knew I wanted inpatient clinical, and that is pretty much 0% possibility of that happening without a residency. But how quickly the VA's inpatient clinical jobs dried up surprised me. Now I'll likely have to leave the VA system and or settle for a primary care jobs (which isn't my thing but booming due to obama).

The market is tight, and it's going to get tighter for a while. My advice for those who want a inpatient staffing position, do not do a residency. You won't benefit much from it and you'll compete with 10,000 more graduates next year. For those who wants a clinical position, I suggest you prepare yourself for a 2 year residency haul in areas such as oncology and psych. PGY-1 inpatient clinical market (eg. internal med) is pretty saturated.

Wow, 20 hour shifts? I have barely heard anything about this. Maybe Johns Hopkins or if the program has residents on call?

sometimes it just turns into a 20 hour day. That's usually not all spent in direct patient care, but unlike medical residents we have a ton of projects. Your MUE, your research, your residency seminar/CEs, I'm giving 4 hours of didactic lecture in our tox elective, etc etc etc. It adds up. Of course there are longer shifts if you're somewhere with an on-call program (I started consolidating my on-call shifts into one 24 shift a month) but it's not hard to stay late to wrap something up and turn it into a 20 hour day, but I wouldn't say those are the norm.

sometimes it just turns into a 20 hour day. That's usually not all spent in direct patient care, but unlike medical residents we have a ton of projects. Your MUE, your research, your residency seminar/CEs, I'm giving 4 hours of didactic lecture in our tox elective, etc etc etc. It adds up. Of course there are longer shifts if you're somewhere with an on-call program (I started consolidating my on-call shifts into one 24 shift a month) but it's not hard to stay late to wrap something up and turn it into a 20 hour day, but I wouldn't say those are the norm.

correct, most days are 12-13 hr fairs. 20 hr days happens in my residency mainly due staffing requirement. Instead of have 12 days on, 2 off, our residency makes friday a double shift day, so you always have 1 weekend day off to unwind a little, but damn those fridays are looooooooooooong.

Primary care jobs are booming? Really? Everyone here says there are no primary care jobs, but that might just be because of the state laws here.

I never had a 20 hour day. Maybe once before a big presentation, but other than that, never :laugh:

From the other residency thread - people were knocking projects, but the fact is, if you work in a hospital, you may have to do projects. I do MUE, formulary work, etc weekly. I'm glad I had that experience in residency.

Primary care jobs are booming? Really? Everyone here says there are no primary care jobs, but that might just be because of the state laws here.

What is the current situation with VA? I am about to sign up for 4 4th year rotations at the VA in hopes of doing a residency there. Is it worth it at this point?

What is the current situation with VA? I am about to sign up for 4 4th year rotations at the VA in hopes of doing a residency there. Is it worth it at this point?

VA system: almost all VA job openings are primary care. This is due to Obama's speech a little while back on boosting primary care and cut down on the specialist care. While the private sector don't care what he said, the VA is following orders and reorganizing to expand primary care So if you are sure that you want to see the same kind of diabetes patients every day, then VA is where you want to be. Stay away if you want inpatient clinical jobs though because there is none to be had unless you are PGY-2 oncology or psych.

the people who regret it are the ones not buying into all the pharmacy kool aid where they are conditioned to believe residency makes you better.

Correction: those who don't drink kool aid don't go into residencies in the first place (unless they want to be very specialized, of course, because that's so far the best way to get there). :D

Hey guys, I was just wondering what everyone felt about this. Right off the bat, as of right now, i want to do just a PGY1 and then hopefully pick up a clinical position that i like. My question is, do you think i will be able to get a clinical position (probably not specialist) after just one year? And if so, im currently between two places in which what to rank #1 and #2.

Assuming i get my #1 choice, am i more likely to get a position after doing a residency at a VA (more of an amb care) or at a facility that will give me a broad range of experiences, such as critical care to ED to ambulatory clinics.

My concern is the narrow population of the VA, the commute, and the area. The broad program is much more convenient, but not in a "fun" metro area. Also, i feel that if i go into the "broad" program, i will probably have to do 2 years in order to obtain a clinical position. I prefer that clinical position to be an ED one if i do the broad program, or an amb care one if i do the VA

So i know the question may be vague, but basically which do you think will be more beneficial and bring me closer to getting a clinical position asap? And i know, youre probably just as confused as i am right now. i apologize.

Cliff notes:

Broad experience program in a "boring" area vs a VA program near a fun metro area and more amb care focused
- if i get the VA ill go for an amb care
- If i get the broader program, ill go for an ED position.
...Can i get either position after just a PGY1?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what everyone felt about this. Right off the bat, as of right now, i want to do just a PGY1 and then hopefully pick up a clinical position that i like. My question is, do you think i will be able to get a clinical position (probably not specialist) after just one year? And if so, im currently between two places in which what to rank #1 and #2.

Assuming i get my #1 choice, am i more likely to get a position after doing a residency at a VA (more of an amb care) or at a facility that will give me a broad range of experiences, such as critical care to ED to ambulatory clinics.

My concern is the narrow population of the VA, the commute, and the area. The broad program is much more convenient, but not in a "fun" metro area. Also, i feel that if i go into the "broad" program, i will probably have to do 2 years in order to obtain a clinical position. I prefer that clinical position to be an ED one if i do the broad program, or an amb care one if i do the VA

So i know the question may be vague, but basically which do you think will be more beneficial and bring me closer to getting a clinical position asap? And i know, youre probably just as confused as i am right now. i apologize.

Cliff notes:

Broad experience program in a "boring" area vs a VA program near a fun metro area and more amb care focused
- if i get the VA ill go for an amb care
- If i get the broader program, ill go for an ED position.
...Can i get either position after just a PGY1?

As a PGY-2 in Emergency Medicine I find your Cliff Notes offensive. You would be better suited for an Internal Medicine job than an ED job.

As a PGY-2 in Emergency Medicine I find your Cliff Notes offensive. You would be better suited for an Internal Medicine job than an ED job.

I'll have to agree with you and i apologize, did not mean to offend you. But i do believe it depends on the institution... I'm under the assumption that in smaller facilities you may be able to get this position with the training I explained. I also did not say ED specialist... and i recently realized the distinction between a clinical pharmacist and a clinical pharmacy specialist.

But either way, so I guess what i am asking is what kind of position can i get with either one of those programs? Or will it "only" land me a secure staff position? I am mainly referring to the NE area, btw.

I'll have to agree with you and i apologize, did not mean to offend you. But i do believe it depends on the institution... I'm under the assumption that in smaller facilities you may be able to get this position with the training I explained. I also did not say ED specialist... and i recently realized the distinction between a clinical pharmacist and a clinical pharmacy specialist.

But either way, so I guess what i am asking is what kind of position can i get with either one of those programs? Or will it "only" land me a secure staff position? I am mainly referring to the NE area, btw.

You shouldn't feel the need to apologize. You didn't say anything offensive.

To answer your question in a diplomatic way - whether or not you would be "qualified" for an ED position with "just" a PGY-1 residency will depend on several factors:

1) The responsibility of the position
2) Your rotational experiences for your PGY-1
3) That particular DoP's/Clinical Mgr's views are regarding residency training

4) A few others.

I was reading your post. Just out of curiosity, what residency did you pursue? Was it an oncology residency? I ask this because I would like to become an oncology pharmacist someday. :) I was hoping I could get some advice on what I can do to make myself a well-rounded, competitive applicant. Thanks!

I was reading your post. Just out of curiosity, what residency did you pursue? Was it an oncology residency? I ask this because I would like to become an oncology pharmacist someday. :) I was hoping I could get some advice on what I can do to make myself a well-rounded, competitive applicant. Thanks!

In order to pursue oncology residency, you have to complete a PGY1 residency first. (I think- are there any unaccredited oncology residencies that don't require a PGY1? Yale is unaccredited but they require a first year.)

If you're class of 2015, concentrate on doing well in your classes and getting involved in things you're interested in as extracurriculars. Be open to different options, your interests may change in classes and rotations.

If you are interested in onc and go to UMD, talk to Dr. Trovato. I hear wonderful things about him as a professor and he is the PGY2 onc residency director.

im not sure what to expect going in (assuming i match), but i keep telling myself that even if it is bad, at least its just for one year and not a whole life time...just trying to think + :thumbup:

Residency can be quite stressful at times, but I don't regret it. For me, I experienced the benefit after residency when working. I was definitely more confident working than if I hadn't done residency.

Residency can be quite stressful at times, but I don't regret it. For me, I experienced the benefit after residency when working. I was definitely more confident working than if I hadn't done residency.

Could you have got that job without residency and just learned more from on the job training?

I definitely do not regret doing a PGY-1. I think December is a tough time in residency land and people are pretty disgruntled so that might be part of what you heard at Midyear. I also think people have false expectations of what "clinical" (definition of that is for another thread) pharmacy is.

Here's the thing about my experience - when I was in the middle of it, I had no way of knowing how I would benefit in the future. But I did benefit in spades even though I ended up having a completely different job than I thought I would going into residency. I know without any doubt that I gained experience that has given me huge advantages in my job. I could have gotten my job without it but I could not do what I do without that experience. There are certainly other ways of obtaining experience than residency, I'm not denying that at all. My point is just that you don't realize at the time how will you benefit later.

I don't think residency is some golden ticket and expectations should be realistic and homework on the residencies should be done, but I do think more people benefit than don't. It probably won't be by better pay or benefits, but more through job satisfaction and being innovative in your career. JMO.

good post! i think the idea of "clinical pharmacy" is sold to students in a way that is not accurate at all. i really value the experience and people I was able to meet from residency. It really opened my eyes up on a lot of issues in healthcare, my own strengths and weaknesses, and gave me a broad exposure I would not have had as a student.

However, I feel that you could gain the same knowledge working as a hospital pharmacist full-time and then going on rounds voluntarily on your own for an hour after your shift. This would save you on the financial hit of residency year.

Keep in mind, residencies at one place can be drastically different from another place. I feel I really disliked doing projects all day. I felt in my residency we did a lot of nonsense projects and didn't get much guidance for research. However, it varies from program to program.

One thing I will note is difficulty finding work post residency. You are competing with new grads who have just rotated through those hospitals where they were a familiar face for 5 weeks or more as well as more experienced pharmacists. I think residency didn't secure jobs as one would hope.

Just weigh your options. I would personally take a full-time gig over a residency that doesn't guarantee a position afterward.

good post! i think the idea of "clinical pharmacy" is sold to students in a way that is not accurate at all. i really value the experience and people I was able to meet from residency. It really opened my eyes up on a lot of issues in healthcare, my own strengths and weaknesses, and gave me a broad exposure I would not have had as a student.

However, I feel that you could gain the same knowledge working as a hospital pharmacist full-time and then going on rounds voluntarily on your own for an hour after your shift. This would save you on the financial hit of residency year.

Keep in mind, residencies at one place can be drastically different from another place. I feel I really disliked doing projects all day. I felt in my residency we did a lot of nonsense projects and didn't get much guidance for research. However, it varies from program to program.

One thing I will note is difficulty finding work post residency. You are competing with new grads who have just rotated through those hospitals where they were a familiar face for 5 weeks or more as well as more experienced pharmacists. I think residency didn't secure jobs as one would hope.

Just weigh your options. I would personally take a full-time gig over a residency that doesn't guarantee a position afterward.

Would you actually consider yourself competing with new grads? I mean even though they may have done a rotation there, it seems that most hospitals would NEVER consider a new grad over a residency trained pharmacist.

If residency provided more guarantees in terms of a job afterwards then I probably would have gone for it. I have realized that there seem to be just as many opportunities to make "interventions" and use "clinical" knowledge in retail as in the hospital and clinic setting.

Would you actually consider yourself competing with new grads? I mean even though they may have done a rotation there, it seems that most hospitals would NEVER consider a new grad over a residency trained pharmacist.

If residency provided more guarantees in terms of a job afterwards then I probably would have gone for it. I have realized that there seem to be just as many opportunities to make "interventions" and use "clinical" knowledge in retail as in the hospital and clinic setting.

80% of people get jobs because they know someone. it is a fact of life. by the new grad having been there 5+ weeks compared to you an unknown, they know how that person can fit in with the staff. there is no question. companies want someone that will fit in and not disrupt the dynamic. by taking an unknown they take a risk, sure you have a PGY-1, but if you turn out to be a problem then it will be a bad scenario. Plus, I have heard directors state they take former students because they know what they are capable of and they can mold them the way they want them to be.

80% of people get jobs because they know someone. it is a fact of life. by the new grad having been there 5+ weeks compared to you an unknown, they know how that person can fit in with the staff. there is no question. companies want someone that will fit in and not disrupt the dynamic. by taking an unknown they take a risk, sure you have a PGY-1, but if you turn out to be a problem then it will be a bad scenario. Plus, I have heard directors state they take former students because they know what they are capable of and they can mold them the way they want them to be.

But these are just hospital staff positions right?

I would regret residency unless it got me a job in which residency was absolutely required.

I would regret residency unless it got me a job in which residency was absolutely required.

Is residency a must to get a clinical pharmacist position in hospitals? Or is it a trend to do so since it's getting more and more competitive? I heard from one of my friends in CA that she had to go for a residency because she could not find a hospital position without it.