Regret Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmEm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you in Pharmacy school, do any of oyu regret or wished that you went to med school, dental, physical therapy school, etc. instead? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course not, why would I? I never considered anything else.

For those of you in Pharmacy school, do any of oyu regret or wished that you went to med school, dental, physical therapy school, etc. instead? Just curious.

No.. I mean, Hell NO!

No.. I mean, Hell NO!

Zpack - you're not as old as me...but he/she asked about those in pharmacy school - you've been out for a LONG time!

But...I've been out even longer & I'd agree - no & ABSOLUTELY NO!!!! (However....my daughter chose medical school - go figure:confused: )

No, I don't regret it.

I would have gone to medical school if I had been 10 years younger, but I don't regret going to pharmacy school. I love learning about drugs and how they work. Medication is how we treat disease. It is a fascinating subject.

No way. Pharmacy is all I've wanted to do. Not for the money, not for the benefits, not for the "being easier than med school." I know I'm rare for doing it for the love of the profession but there is nothing else I want to do.

Pharmacy is all I've wanted to do. Not for the money, not for the benefits, not for the "being easier than med school." I know I'm rare for doing it for the love of the profession but there is nothing else I want to do.
Weird. Rare indeed, but I feel exactly the same way. :)

Weird. Rare indeed, but I feel exactly the same way. :)

Same here. For me, med school would be my second choice. Pharmacy is just more appealing to me.

The older I get the more I appreciate it - been at for 6 years now. Great pay, great benefits, find work anywhere, you can even take a break for a while then come back later like I'm doing right now.

Nope I don't regret it, but I'd be lying if I'd say that I haven't thought about med school. I honestly don't see the advantage of dentistry and/or physical/occupation therapy over pharmacy. I guess the avg dentist makes a little more than the avg pharmacist, but I don't see the appeal in looking at cavities 6-8hrs/day (maybe that is just me).

Med school on the other hand is always somewhat tempting as being a pharmacist can always be frustrating given the limited autonomy when dealing w/ pt care. Yeah it gets to you from time to time when you can't manage the pt the "exact" way you desire, but w/ time you often start to see how your opinions/reccomendations are valued by other professions (i.e. nursing/medicine) and how you can validate yourself as a clinician via anticoag, TDM, and various collaborative practices in inpt or outpt settings.

But the other side to think about is that everything has its limitations (even being a MD) in some regards as depending on the case a consultant may still be required; however, MDs will likely always have more autonomy in pt care than the PharmD. Having said all of that the chances of me going back through 4yrs of med school + >/=3yrs of residency training are slim to none. I'm too busy "smelling the roses" and catching up on all the fun things I missed and/or sacrificed while in pharmacy school and working double shifts as a tech to cover the rent. For me, pharmacy offers too many options and pays too well to consider anything else and even if all of the clinical stuff fell through I'd be just as happy staffing at some hospital or working in retail somewhere as long as I had some occasional pt contact (I've always moonlighted a lot). In the end, I really enjoy the profession.

However, I understand how others may not be as satisfied and I would only advise you to check into the options available, do as much shadowing in other fields including pharmacy to compare/contrast, figure out your likes/dislikes about the profession, and lastly always remember that the "grass always looks greener on the other side". Good Luck!!:)

I definitely don't regret it! I never even considered the other professions.

Nope I don't regret it, but I'd be lying if I'd say that I haven't thought about med school. I honestly don't see the advantage of dentistry and/or physical/occupation therapy over pharmacy. I guess the avg dentist makes a little more than the avg pharmacist, but I don't see the appeal in looking at cavities 6-8hrs/day (maybe that is just me).

Med school on the other hand is always somewhat tempting as being a pharmacist can always be frustrating given the limited autonomy when dealing w/ pt care. Yeah it gets to you from time to time when you can't manage the pt the "exact" way you desire, but w/ time you often start to see how your opinions/reccomendations are valued by other professions (i.e. nursing/medicine) and how you can validate yourself as a clinician via anticoag, TDM, and various collaborative practices in inpt or outpt settings.

But the other side to think about is that everything has its limitations (even being a MD) in some regards as depending on the case a consultant may still be required; however, MDs will likely always have more autonomy in pt care than the PharmD. Having said all of that the chances of me going back through 4yrs of med school + >/=3yrs of residency training are slim to none. I'm too busy "smelling the roses" and catching up on all the fun things I missed and/or sacrificed while in pharmacy school and working double shifts as a tech to cover the rent. For me, pharmacy offers too many options and pays too well to consider anything else and even if all of the clinical stuff fell through I'd be just as happy staffing at some hospital or working in retail somewhere as long as I had some occasional pt contact (I've always moonlighted a lot). In the end, I really enjoy the profession.

However, I understand how others may not be as satisfied and I would only advise you to check into the options available, do as much shadowing in other fields including pharmacy to compare/contrast, figure out your likes/dislikes about the profession, and lastly always remember that the "grass always looks greener on the other side". Good Luck!!:)

this is what exactly what i am thinking about, too....great post.

good thread...

i feel exactly the same way, thank you for this. but your status said attending physician, did u go back to med school?
I'm thinking of going to med school, but i didnt do very well during pharmacy, so i'm scared that will hurt my chances