Regretting my Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CampDeeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay Hear Me Out:

I am in the process of finishing my Degree in May. When I graduate, I will have a B.A in Psychology and a Minor in Human Sexuality. I had did this prior to thinking I would go into MFT and that was my dream set match.

But now where I am at, I want to work in schools and work with children as a start doing counseling etc so I am regretting my minor, thinking I should have gone with the minor in Child Development or double majoring (Psych and Child Development BA Human Sexuality Minor). Side note I have exceeded my limit on units so after May 2017 Cal State Northridge cuts me off in terms of Financials and Attempting anymore minors or majors. (So I'm based out of California for clarity)

So my questions are:
1) Should I just stick with what I have? Will it still be okay potientally for Grad Schools?
2) Could I just take some additional Child Development classes in my last semester and not stress it too much?
3) Or is there a way to either get the minor, post Bac or like a certificate and it would still be worth something?

Members don't see this ad.

No one in my experience will care what your minor was and they will hardly care about your major. In my clinical psych PhD program we have people with undergrad majors in things like marketing and biology and because they had the right course work and other requirements it didn't matter.

I would look at the programs you want to attend and make sure you have their pre-requisite courses and not worry about it otherwise. All the school psych people I know had their BA/BS in either education or psychology, so I'm guessing you'll be totally fine if you meet the other program requirements.

Your minor will not mean much if you have taken all necessary pre-requisite courses.
It may be icing on the cake for an application, but will not be a make it or break it part of your background.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're definitely over-thinking and over-worrying about this. They'll be looking at a much bigger picture than whether or not you got a double major or what your minor was when you apply to grad school. If you have room to take some extra child devo classes your last semester, that's cool and I'd take that opportunity just b/c it's good background and if you take the subject GRE would probably help (plus they are likely to be super interesting classes) but overall you should def stop worrying about this! I was a psychology and philosophy major. Many of the folks in my PhD program were single psych major, or doubled in something less related, like bio or business or something. Stop stressing and focus on enjoying your last semesters of undergrad (well, enjoy as much as you can while also keeping up your GPA for grad school purposes) :)