Rehabilitation/Psychology guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikko1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post on here and thought maybe I can get some advice/guidance on my layout for what I would like to do in this particular field.

My goal as it stands right now is to get my certification in Substance Abuse Rehabilitation Counseling. This will take about a year to get and once I have completed that I am hoping to find a job in counseling those struggling with Substance Abuse. While doing this I will be going back to school and starting from scratch and working towards my Psych degree. After this moving onto a Doctorate.

I hope I am not being unrealistic with my plans but for all those who are already doctors or planning to become one, am I on the right track? Ideally I would like to be able to treat not only Substance Abuse, but other areas such as marriage, spousal abuse, alcoholism, etc. etc.

Please offer any advice you can give and what areas I can look to. Eventually I would like to have my own private practice, but honestly I am now just getting focused on my career and what I want to do with it. I am 30yrs old and have no problem going back to school. It took me a while to figure out what it is what I wanted to do with my life and helping people get through their problems is more fulfilling for me as an individual and knowing that I need a lot of education drives me to my goal in life.

Thanks for listening all.

Nick

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I think I say this to everyone but:

Have you considered becoming a licensed social worker with a specialization in substance abuse? It's less time in school, and you'll still be able to have a private practice if you're licensed (down the road, after a good deal of experience). Do you want to do research? Teach? Just some stuff to consider.

Assuming you are planning on a Ph.D., I'd skip the "getting a psych degree" part and work as a substance counselor for a while, maybe take a few classes on the side, and then apply directly to a Ph.D. program. Skips a few (several year long) steps in there.