Reimbursement cuts to orthopaedics and rising expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sobering article from the AAOS on Medicare reimbursement cuts to orthopaedics. Rumors are there will be more Medicare cuts to ortho in 2013, with private insurers to follow.

http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/dec12/cover1.asp

attachment.php

And from Orthopedics Today:
Fehring: While our group may allow senior partners to drop Medicare, our hip and knee center has decided not to pursue this strategy. While this approach may be financially advantageous for a senior partner, we must not allow unreasonable governmental reimbursement cuts to further divide our orthopedic groups and subspecialties. Opting out of Medicare would cause significant dissention within our group. It would significantly limit the earning potential of the younger physicians who would bear an inordinate load of Medicare and Medicaid patients.

We feel it is the obligation of all members of our group to service all of the patients in our community who need hip and knee replacement. We need a solution that helps all arthroplasty surgeons, not just a select few.

Scully: Nothing would happen if senior surgeons resigned from Medicare. If 25% or more of all surgeons refused Medicare patients, that might get noticed. But there is very little sympathy for surgeons in Washington. There is far more compassion for nurses, general practitioners (GPs), emergency room physicians and others. This may not be fair given the massive loss of surgical income in the last decade, but that is the reality.

Lavernia: How low would the primary reimbursement have to go until significant numbers of hip and knee surgeons stop taking Medicare patients?

Fehring: I think we are very close to that level. Since 1990, the reimbursement for hip and knee replacement has gone down 64% and 59%, respectively, in inflation-adjusted dollars. We have allowed the government to perform what I term a "boiling frog technique" with regard to hip and knee replacement reimbursement. If you put a frog in a pot of water and raise the temperature slowly, the frog acclimates. But if you turn the heat up 100° and throw the frog in, he would jump out quickly.

Medicare has decided to slowly ratchet down the reimbursement for hip and knee replacement to lower costs, yet keep physicians in the pot. With each decrease, we pedal harder to maintain the same income. Eventually, you can only pedal so fast before you burn out.

I think we are rapidly reaching the point where we can not squeeze out any more efficiencies from our system or do more cases daily. If cuts continue, eventually the overhead expenses will become similar to the reimbursement. This will be intolerable and will force most dedicated hip and knee surgeons to drop Medicare.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• declining reimbursement.jpg
    declining reimbursement.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,552
  • declining reimbursement2.jpg
    declining reimbursement2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Declining reimbursements seem to be the trend for most specialties in medicine and surgery, but I'm wondering if it is hitting ortho especially hard? Will ortho still be one of the top paid specialties in 20 years?

Declining reimbursements seem to be the trend for most specialties in medicine and surgery, but I'm wondering if it is hitting ortho especially hard? Will ortho still be one of the top paid specialties in 20 years?

I don't think any mortal can tell you. Survey says go into a specialty you will enjoy waking up to every day for work, not by how many 0's trail your bank balance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have the mgma 2012 synopsis of orthopedic by specialty and region?

Does anyone have the mgma 2012 synopsis of orthopedic by specialty and region?

MGMA numbers tend to be inflated for various reasons. Medscape numbers are a lot closer to the reality of orthopedic surgeons I know who have shared their salaries. And these guys work hard and see 60-80 patients a day in clinic.

My sister is a pediatrician who shopped a lot for job offers across the country, and found almost no jobs remotely close to the MGMA numbers. Don't trust the one year guarantees either. They're recruiting techniques that often don't reflect actual revenues.

Orthopods make good money, but don't expect half million salaries without significant consulting connections and a huge referral base that takes decade to build.

MGMA numbers tend to be inflated for various reasons. Medscape numbers are a lot closer to the reality of orthopedic surgeons I know who have shared their salaries. And these guys work hard and see 60-80 patients a day in clinic.

My sister is a pediatrician who shopped a lot for job offers across the country, and found almost no jobs remotely close to the MGMA numbers. Don't trust the one year guarantees either. They're recruiting techniques that often don't reflect actual revenues.

Orthopods make good money, but don't expect half million salaries without significant consulting connections and a huge referral base that takes decade to build.

My dad is an ortho surgeon, even though n=1, I agree with this. He works hard and his income is A LOT closer to the medscape report. I would have to infer that the medscape report is accurate for the other specialties on there as well.

I know plenty of orthopods making 500K without consulting contracts. They just work hard and do good work. Do they make this year one, no. Does it take decades no, usually 2-4 years if you are a hard worker.

Hate to ask, since I'm a non-orthopod, does it have anything to do with technology or technique? If it takes half as long to do a total hip or total knee, medicare may just be adjusting accordingly.

Hate to ask, since I'm a non-orthopod, does it have anything to do with technology or technique? If it takes half as long to do a total hip or total knee, medicare may just be adjusting accordingly.

Yeah, the same thing happened to ophtho with cataract surgery back in the 80's I believe. Newer technology cut the time of the procedure down by about 1/3.

Sobering article from the AAOS on Medicare reimbursement cuts to orthopaedics. Rumors are there will be more Medicare cuts to ortho in 2013, with private insurers to follow.

http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/dec12/cover1.asp

attachment.php

And from Orthopedics Today:

OP,

Have you seen the newest medscape compensation survey? It shows Ortho at over 400K. That's up about 30% from last year. What gives? If the reimbursements are going down, how the heck did avg. medscape compensation rocket up to 400K+ in a year? The whole thing doesn't make sense.

It shows Ortho at over 400K. That's up about 30% from last year. What gives? If the reimbursements are going down, how the heck did avg. medscape compensation rocket up to 400K+ in a year? The whole thing doesn't make sense.

The survey is just really crappy.

According to the AAOS there are 27,773 orthopaedists in the US, yet only 218 responded to this survey. Thats 0.78% of orthopedists, and on top of that a whopping response bias built into the study. Bad data by anyone's standards.

All that being said, the survey also reports that 71% or orthopaedists who responded saw their income stay the same or decrease since 2011. So we can conclude that a minority of respondents (e.g. total joints) were able to earn more this year, while the vast majority (71%) saw stagnant or decreasing reimbursement.

OP,

Have you seen the newest medscape compensation survey? It shows Ortho at over 400K. That's up about 30% from last year. What gives? If the reimbursements are going down, how the heck did avg. medscape compensation rocket up to 400K+ in a year? The whole thing doesn't make sense.

It makes sense if you see that the procedures have been adjusted for inflation. The time value of money kicks in and ortho surgeons are being paid A LOT less per procedure than they used to make in 1992. Even taking this into account, surgeons salaries can still increase a little each year. However, it doesn't appear that their reimbursement comes close to beating inflation.

The survey is just really crappy.

According to the AAOS there are 27,773 orthopaedists in the US, yet only 218 responded to this survey. Thats 0.78% of orthopedists, and on top of that a whopping response bias built into the study. Bad data by anyone's standards.

All that being said, the survey also reports that 71% or orthopaedists who responded saw their income stay the same or decrease since 2011. So we can conclude that a minority of respondents (e.g. total joints) were able to earn more this year, while the vast majority (71%) saw stagnant or decreasing reimbursement.

Kinase,

Thanks for the response. That pretty much clears it up. I hate these studies because I never really know how accurate they are.