Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Reimbursement cuts to orthopaedics and rising expenses

Discussion in 'Orthopaedic Surgery' started by naus, 03.21.13.

1. naus

naus Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Sobering article from the AAOS on Medicare reimbursement cuts to orthopaedics. Rumors are there will be more Medicare cuts to ortho in 2013, with private insurers to follow.

http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/dec12/cover1.asp

[​IMG]

And from Orthopedics Today:

Attached Files:

Last edited: 03.21.13
  2. nychila

nychila

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Declining reimbursements seem to be the trend for most specialties in medicine and surgery, but I'm wondering if it is hitting ortho especially hard? Will ortho still be one of the top paid specialties in 20 years?
  3. Daodejing

Daodejing Dr. Surgery & Mr. Medicine

I don't think any mortal can tell you. Survey says go into a specialty you will enjoy waking up to every day for work, not by how many 0's trail your bank balance.
  4. IntelInside

IntelInside

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Does anyone have the mgma 2012 synopsis of orthopedic by specialty and region?
  5. naus

naus Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    MGMA numbers tend to be inflated for various reasons. Medscape numbers are a lot closer to the reality of orthopedic surgeons I know who have shared their salaries. And these guys work hard and see 60-80 patients a day in clinic.

My sister is a pediatrician who shopped a lot for job offers across the country, and found almost no jobs remotely close to the MGMA numbers. Don't trust the one year guarantees either. They're recruiting techniques that often don't reflect actual revenues.

Orthopods make good money, but don't expect half million salaries without significant consulting connections and a huge referral base that takes decade to build.
  6. Spikebd

Spikebd

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My dad is an ortho surgeon, even though n=1, I agree with this. He works hard and his income is A LOT closer to the medscape report. I would have to infer that the medscape report is accurate for the other specialties on there as well.
  7. bedrock

bedrock Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I know plenty of orthopods making 500K without consulting contracts. They just work hard and do good work. Do they make this year one, no. Does it take decades no, usually 2-4 years if you are a hard worker.
  8. neusu

neusu Chief Resident

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hate to ask, since I'm a non-orthopod, does it have anything to do with technology or technique? If it takes half as long to do a total hip or total knee, medicare may just be adjusting accordingly.
  9. Silent Cool

Silent Cool Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Yeah, the same thing happened to ophtho with cataract surgery back in the 80's I believe. Newer technology cut the time of the procedure down by about 1/3.
  10. Silent Cool

Silent Cool Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    OP,

Have you seen the newest medscape compensation survey? It shows Ortho at over 400K. That's up about 30% from last year. What gives? If the reimbursements are going down, how the heck did avg. medscape compensation rocket up to 400K+ in a year? The whole thing doesn't make sense.
  11. KinasePro

KinasePro Das it mane

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The survey is just really crappy.

According to the AAOS there are 27,773 orthopaedists in the US, yet only 218 responded to this survey. Thats 0.78% of orthopedists, and on top of that a whopping response bias built into the study. Bad data by anyone's standards.

All that being said, the survey also reports that 71% or orthopaedists who responded saw their income stay the same or decrease since 2011. So we can conclude that a minority of respondents (e.g. total joints) were able to earn more this year, while the vast majority (71%) saw stagnant or decreasing reimbursement.
  12. Spikebd

Spikebd

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It makes sense if you see that the procedures have been adjusted for inflation. The time value of money kicks in and ortho surgeons are being paid A LOT less per procedure than they used to make in 1992. Even taking this into account, surgeons salaries can still increase a little each year. However, it doesn't appear that their reimbursement comes close to beating inflation.
  13. Silent Cool

Silent Cool Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Kinase,

Thanks for the response. That pretty much clears it up. I hate these studies because I never really know how accurate they are.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal