Reimbursement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akuko2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read that the military will reimburse you for your health insurance premium if your school requires you to have a certain amount of coverage. If I get a cheaper policy will they reimburse me for that amount or the amount of the school's policy? I ask because I am trying to stretch the living stipend and signing bonus to cover my wife and I until she finishes school, and a friend of mine found a policy for he and his wife that is cheaper for both of them individually (after counting a tax credit) than the individual school policy.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have read that the military will reimburse you for your health insurance premium if your school requires you to have a certain amount of coverage. If I get a cheaper policy will they reimburse me for that amount or the amount of the school's policy? I ask because I am trying to stretch the living stipend and signing bonus to cover my wife and I until she finishes school, and a friend of mine found a policy for he and his wife that is cheaper for both of them individually (after counting a tax credit) than the individual school policy.

Thanks!
I believe that you can use any policy, but you will only be reimbursed for the cost of the policy. It's not like you get an extra $300 a month for insurance purposes...you buy the policy and then submit a reimbursement request. Try to find out what the maximum is before you sign up for that platinum plan. Oh, and consider using a credit card, because its can take the military months to reimburse you initially and you don't want to be too cash poor.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply. Are the reimburstments usualy done on a monthly basis? And do you know if they will pay for a plan that covers my wife and I if the monthly premium is less than the individual plan my school offers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. Are the reimburstments usualy done on a monthly basis? And do you know if they will pay for a plan that covers my wife and I if the monthly premium is less than the individual plan my school offers?
Pretty sure they will only pay for you, but may be wrong on that. I used to pay quarterly.

Pay quarterly? As in you were reimbursed for your school related expenses quarterly?

What about books? Are things reimbursed at diffrent times or is there just an annual reimburstment period.

Not sure about the Air Force HPSP reimbursement, for the Army, once your first of the first semester of the scholarship has passed, you can submit a claim for reimbursement. You will not be allowed to submit another for 30 days, and each has to be $250.00 or more.

There are several students who submit for health insurance monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, and annually. It mostly depends on how they are billed by the insurance company.

Best bet for the OP is to talk to the AF HPSP office.

When I was in medical school (10 years ago) I would submit my claim for reimbursement after every purchase, whether it be textbooks, insurance premiums, laptop rental, and so on. I frequently got paid about a month later and never had any push backs for any of my purchases. Things may have changed and you should check with the HPSP office first.