Rejected 4 schools but not from 3. Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppflow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I already got rejected from Marquette and NYU, and I got an interview at Case and I just got the email saying that I was On Hold ( which means I got rejected). But I havent heard absolutely anything from other schools (Not even an interview). is there a chance for me to still get an interview at those?... Now there isnt even time to apply for 1 year masters, because the deadline is February 1st for most of them. What should I do?. I have a 3.0 and 17 DAT ( 18Ochem, 17 gen Chem, 19PAt, 16 Bio, 18 ). and I got lots of EC, also I am an URM

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I already got rejected from Marquette and NYU, and I got an interview at Case and I just got the email saying that I was On Hold ( which means I got rejected). But I havent heard absolutely anything from other schools (Not even an interview). is there a chance for me to still get an interview at those?... Now there isnt even time to apply for 1 year masters, because the deadline is February 1st for most of them. What should I do?. I have a 3.0 and 17 DAT ( 18Ochem, 17 gen Chem, 19PAt, 16 Bio, 18 ). and I got lots of EC, also I am an URM

just judging by your stats, i would recommend improving DAT and GPA. a special masters program that is course-based or a post-bacc will work.

there is a chance that schools may contact you for an interview, but it's hard to say since you didn't mention which schools and some have filled most of their classes already. just hang in there as this application cycle is not over yet.

Informal postbac with upper level biology classes + retake DAT = :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply to Howard and Meharry? With that DAT combimed with the GPA, even as an URM you'll have a very difficult time being accepted. Aim to get to atleast a 19 on your DAT and then reapply.

The deadline for most post-bac programs is Feb 1st? Maybe expand your search a little bit. I know for a fact that Tulane has many 1-year masters programs and all of the science ones have deadlines around June. They know it's the backup plan for people who don't get in. I'm sure there are many other schools with a similar system.
Also, think about just getting a job doing reseach or something for the year. It will save you a whole lot of money and schools like it. I know some people waste upwards of $50,000 for that extra year of school, I just don't get it. You can still retake ur DAT tho and study while ur working.

So much for the concept that being an URM is the only ticket one needs to get in a professional school.

Your GPA and DAT are lower scores. You need to find a way to improve your GPA and re-take the DAT. You have your work cut out for you.

just judging by your stats, i would recommend improving DAT and GPA. a special masters program that is course-based or a post-bacc will work.

there is a chance that schools may contact you for an interview, but it's hard to say since you didn't mention which schools and some have filled most of their classes already. just hang in there as this application cycle is not over yet.

The schools that I havent heard from are Howard, Maryland and Virginia Comonwealth. I did check into Tulane for the 1 year masters in Cell Biology, and it said the applciation deadline was February 1st. I will look into other masters programs and try to get in one of those. I also thought about retaking all my classes from my freshman year (The year that I did the worst, but I dont think is the best choice. Thanks a lot for everyone's time and input.

The schools that I havent heard from are Howard, Maryland and Virginia Comonwealth. I did check into Tulane for the 1 year masters in Cell Biology, and it said the applciation deadline was February 1st. I will look into other masters programs and try to get in one of those. I also thought about retaking all my classes from my freshman year (The year that I did the worst, but I dont think is the best choice. Thanks a lot for everyone's time and input.

No, that wouldn't be the best idea. No one cares that you can ace freshman level classes now. Go back to your school or any school around your area, reapply as a student, and load up on upper level biology classes like Anatomy, Microbiology, Histology, Neuroscience, Immunology, Virology, etc.

And retake the DAT.