Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted: The R.A.W. Data Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just found out I got into UCLA community health. I am an east coaster wanting to go to the west coast so I am pretty excited! Im guilty of being a huge lurkee so This is my first post on here. Stats below. Good luck everyone! My sophas application was complete mid-November.

GPA: 3.8
Degrees: Psychology and Biology
GRE: q 157 v 155 Aw 5.0
Extra: Lab assistant for two years after graduating, volunteering, women's health chair, and CNA.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received actual admission packages in the mail from Berkeley, Emory, or Michigan?

Members don't see this ad :)
First rejection....from Emory BSHE. :(:(:oops::thumbdown:

My app was forwarded to GH...has anyone been rejected from BSHE and had Global Health as second choice? If so, how long did it take to get the second admission decision?

Has anyone heard about scholarships to Harvard?

Has anyone received actual admission packages in the mail from Berkeley, Emory, or Michigan?

I got one from Emory and I got something from Michigan. I think it had a USB with some info on it and maybe a letter. I honestly can't remember but I do know I got a package from both of them. Nothing with that much detail IIRC.

I haven't gotten anything snail mail from Yale or Columbia. Do they not send anything? :confused:

Today I found out I was accepted to University of Colorado (Denver - Anshutz) Health Policy and Management program and wait listed at University of Washington Health Systems and Policy program.

Accepted: UC Denver (2/28), Oregon State (2/4)
Rejected: Boston University, Columbia
Waitlisted: University of Washington
Waiting to hear: San Francisco State, Hunter College, GWU

Just heard back from University of Washington's School of Health Services and I have been accepted. My Sophas was verified in November and this is the first interaction I have gotten from them. Admitted Students Day is March 21st. My stats are above somewhere! Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back from them, I imagine it will be before March 21st!

:D

Is anyone considering Pitt? It´s currently the only one I have heard from and I was wondering if anyone had any particular pros/cons they knew about it vs others? ;)

Experience/Research: Research assistant to a history professor, job training at a UN headquarters in Europe, worked in a hospital one summer.

Applied: [In Social Factor in Health, Sociomedial Sci., Behavioral Sci. etc.] Johns Hopkins (1/20), Columbia (2/21), Pittsburgh (2/21), Yale (2/21), Boston (2/21), Emory (2/21) - Dates when sent by SOPHAS.
Accepted: Pittburgh (2/26)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone considering Pitt? It´s currently the only one I have heard from and I was wondering if anyone had any particular pros/cons they knew about it vs others? ;)

Experience/Research: Research assistant to a history professor, job training at a UN headquarters in Europe, worked in a hospital one summer.

Applied: [In Social Factor in Health, Sociomedial Sci., Behavioral Sci. etc.] Johns Hopkins (1/20), Columbia (2/21), Pittsburgh (2/21), Yale (2/21), Boston (2/21), Emory (2/21) - Dates when sent by SOPHAS.
Accepted: Pittburgh (2/26)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

I was accepted but they've been severely lacking in the helpfulness department so I've kinda ruled them out. I'd be interested in what you gather though. I'm in BCHS.

I was accepted but they've been severely lacking in the helpfulness department so I've kinda ruled them out. I'd be interested in what you gather though. I'm in BCHS.

Yeah, I don´t know much about them (the cathedral of learning is nice but of course not a deciding factor), I got an invite to their open day today - that´t it of what I have heard other than the acceptance email and then snail mail with the same info. I´ve gathered (here on sd) they don´t give you any scholarship until you are definitely going though...which is scary.

Also GREAT to see anyone with the same concentration! :D

Just heard back from University of Washington's School of Health Services and I have been accepted. My Sophas was verified in November and this is the first interaction I have gotten from them. Admitted Students Day is March 21st. My stats are above somewhere! Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back from them, I imagine it will be before March 21st!

:D

Hey! Which specialization did you apply for? Social and Behavioral Sciences?

Columbia! Department of Health Policy and Management w/ a certificate in Global Health.

SOPHAS submission: 12/14/2012
SOPHAS mailing: 12/19/2012
Admitted: 3/6/2013 (email w/ attachment)

***My stats are on the first page of this thread.***

Interestingly, the admissions letter is dated February 22nd, but I am only now receiving word from them. No information on funding (if any), which I suspect will come through OrgSync.

Good luck to everyone else waiting on Mailman! ;)

...come ooooon, Cal and Crimson. Cal and Crimson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Columbia! Department of Health Policy and Management w/ a certificate in Global Health.

SOPHAS submission: 12/14/2012
SOPHAS mailing: 12/19/2012
Admitted: 3/6/2013 (email w/ attachment)

***My stats are on the first page of this thread.***

Interestingly, the admissions letter is dated February 22nd, but I am only now receiving word from them. No information on funding (if any), which I suspect will come through OrgSync.

Good luck to everyone else waiting on Mailman! ;)

...come ooooon, Cal and Crimson. Cal and Crimson.

Fwiw, my funding came through in an email three days later :)

Just got into Harvard MPH (global health concentration). I'm soooooo happy.

Experience/Research: Internship. Worked as a medical officer for 1 yr

Applied: Boston, Emory, Alabama, UTSPH, Harvard.
Accepted: Boston (epi), Emory (global health), Texas (epi) and Harvard (global health) 3/6/13
Waitlisted:none
Rejected: none yet (avnt heard back from Alabama tho)

wow a friend of mine just got an outside scholarship to cover all of her tuition for her 2 years MPH at Columbia but she is still wondering if she should go since the cost of living in new york is expensive.....I'm telling her financial aid may gave her some additional aid to help with that...phewww....i would take out loans for the housing...thats amazing!!!!

Accepted of the Waitlist to Emory for an MPH in Health policy and Management!

UGPA: 2.87, Upper Cumulative 3.0
Major/Minor: International Studies (Global Health an Environment) Minor in Social and Economic Justice
GRE (including date taken): 157V 149Q 5.0W, August 2012
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Hospital volunteer at UNC Hospitals, founding member of organization on campus dealing with local/global malnutrition, one year as a research volunteer on project regarding prevalence of diabetes mellitus in NC Native American tribes (presented at 2 symposiums), and one year post-undergrad work counseling diabetic patients on financial assistance for their medication.

Applied:
• UNC Chapel Hill MSPH Health Policy and Management (submitted 12/01/12 completed on 13/03/2013), Interviewed on 02/25/2012 unoffically accepted the day of but rec'd official notification on 03/01/2012
• Emory MPH Health Policy and Management (submitted 12/02/2013, verified 01/03/2013) Rec'd email from Emory that app was rec'd on 12/10/2012
• GWU MPH Health Policy (submitted 12/02/12, verified 01/03/2013)

Accepted: UNC Chapel Hill (03/01/13), Emory (03/06/13)
Rejected:
Waitlisted: Emory (1/19/13)

Last edited:
UGPA: ~ 3.2 (strong upward trend, 3.8 in final year @ top Canadian university)
Major/Minor: Life Science (Honors Thesis: Looking at innovative MRI techniques to non-invasively diagnose liver damage from exposure to toxicants – currently working with thesis prof to get published as 1st author)
MCAT: 32Q

Experience/Research
-half year as youth rep of education committee working for an advocacy group addressing youth violence in immigrant communities- worked with government ministers, chief of police and director of school board to develop tasks forces and policy initiatives to work on this issue
-9 years as tutor and youth community activist, working on major youth leadership camp planning team and as head coordinator for four years
-2 years with a health forum working on student initiatives, strategy planning, learning about evidence-informed policy making
-1 year with major restorative justice non-profit organization, works closely with provincial courts to provide alternatives to incarceration for at-risk youth
-3 years volunteering with non-profit women’s health and settlement services organization, recently appointed to the Board of Directors

Applied: GW, Columbia, Yale, Boston (All MPH in Health Policy + Mgmt), UfT (Epi)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I am very concerned that my GPA is too low and that I don’t have enough science-y or even public health experience to be considered competitive (I’ve mostly worked with disadvantaged newcomer communities in our city). As well my application wasn’t verified until very late so I’m not sure if I still stand a chance anymore.

Also, the Board appointment happened after I sent in my application, should I send an updated c/v to schools individually to include this or no? Sorry this is long, any advice would be appreciated!

...hoping HSPH sends out a big wave of SM decisions this Friday. They're the last school I'm waiting on and the wait is starting to get really aggravating haha. I'm surprised it's so late in the season as this time last year most of the decisions were out.

This site has gotten me through so much of this process, and I just found out I got into JHSPH, the MSPH in Health Policy, so I figured I would leave my first post!!

UGPA: 3.2
Major/Minor: Biology
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Quant: 157 Qual: 157 Writing: 4
Experience/Research (please, be brief): not much public health experience but very involved as an Undergrad. Member of Global Medical Brigades (traveled to Honduras), Member of Pre-dental society and free dental clinics, Volunteer with the Make-a-Wish foundation for 4 years, President, treasurer, morale chair of sorority.

Applied: MPH in Health policy and management at Columbia, BU, GWU, UCLA, SDSU, MSPH Health Policy JHSPH, MS Global Health Notre Dame
Accepted: JHSPH(3/5):laugh: , ND(2/26)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

This whole time I was convinced Hopkins was a long shot. I'm in awe. Still waiting to hear from the other 5 schools

UIC hopefuls are a rare breed on this thread, but I just received my admission to UIC MPH Health Policy and Administration track! Scholarship information is included in the original email.

I am leaning toward UNC MSPH in HPM or UMN MPH in Administration and Policy, but I figured I'd let any UIC hopefuls that they are finally sending decisions!

Now, just waiting for Harvard SM2 decisions...

...hoping HSPH sends out a big wave of SM decisions this Friday. They're the last school I'm waiting on and the wait is starting to get really aggravating haha. I'm surprised it's so late in the season as this time last year most of the decisions were out.

I think public health schools may have seen an unusual rise in applicants this year, which would may have delayed some schools in getting decisions out. For example, when I interviewed with JHU, they told me they had 160 applicants for a cohort of 20, whereas they usually have around 40 applicants. Healthcare is THE buzz industry right now and i'm going to go out a limb and say a lot of schools saw significant increases in applicants to healthcare-related programs.

wow a friend of mine just got an outside scholarship to cover all of her tuition for her 2 years MPH at Columbia but she is still wondering if she should go since the cost of living in new york is expensive.....I'm telling her financial aid may gave her some additional aid to help with that...phewww....i would take out loans for the housing...thats amazing!!!!

Cost of living in NYC < (Cost of living in most other places + full tuition)

UGPA: 3.4 with upward trend
Major/Minor: Economics, Gender and Health, Chinese
GRE: July 2012; 161 V(86%), 164 Q (90%), 5.0 Writing (92%)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): No interest in research. Experience with water and sanitation projects in Latin America, specifically working with NGOs in El Salvador and Honduras. Currently working at an internship with a private foundation for the implementation of biosand water filters in rural Honduran communities while finishing my undergraduate degree. Strong social justice dialogue and vocabulary background.

Applied: University of Michigan HMP MPH, Emory Global Health MPH, Johns Hopkins Health Systems in International Health MSPH, Harvard Global Health MSPH, UNC HPM MPH
Accepted: Johns Hopkins (2/12), Emory (2/27)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I am interviewing at Michigan this coming Thursday. I'm not too nervous about it as I am undergrad here, have attended UMSPH's Prospective Student Day on multiple occasions, and have met with faculty members during my application process, who have always been more than gracious. I know and love the program the best of any I have applied to, but I don't want my familiarity to breed overconfidence so any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, much like many others on this thread, I'd like to see an end to the waiting game with Harvard, and UNC for that matter.

@Olsmade congrats on Harvard! Got in too! (Quantitative methods). Got the email yesterday.

Both UIC and OSU have sent me good news this week, and Michigan offered me a sizable scholarship. I'm still waiting on Columbia and Yale...

My stats are here.

Applied: Columbia (EHS), OSU (EHS), UIC (EOHS), Michigan (EHS), Yale (EMD, EHS + global)
Accepted: OSU (EHS), UIC (EOHS), Michigan (EHS)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Has anyone recieved an acceptance or rejection to Yale Health policy and management in the last two weeks? I was completed 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard back.....(bad news?)

@Olsmade congrats on Harvard! Got in too! (Quantitative methods). Got the email yesterday.

I thought Harvard only sent decisions on Friday? Should I be nervous the other 6 days of the week as well?

I thought Harvard only sent decisions on Friday? Should I be nervous the other 6 days of the week as well?

According to HSPH Admissions, the departments are sending out decisions are they are being made now.

So I just called Emory, and the department specific people were really great to speak with. I was rejected from BSHE and Global Health, but she gave me some great feedback on my application and took the time to tell me what I can do to strengthen my app if I want to apply to the PhD program. She also gave me some insight for my possible career at the CDC, while assuring me that the MPH programs I've been admitted to will definitely serve me well. Just thought I'd give you this information. I am not sad about it, and I'm I fact glad to know this information. Now I'm just waiting on Tulane. :)

So I just called Emory, and the department specific people were really great to speak with. I was rejected from BSHE and Global Health, but she gave me some great feedback on my application and took the time to tell me what I can do to strengthen my app if I want to apply to the PhD program. She also gave me some insight for my possible career at the CDC, while assuring me that the MPH programs I've been admitted to will definitely serve me well. Just thought I'd give you this information. I am not sad about it, and I'm I fact glad to know this information. Now I'm just waiting on Tulane. :)

Thanks for sharing that information. It is really great to hear people are willing to help out with some suggestions. Lots of luck to you. Sounds like you will do great things.

Thanks for sharing that information. It is really great to hear people are willing to help out with some suggestions. Lots of luck to you. Sounds like you will do great things.

Thanks so much for this! Best of wishes to you as well.

Just called Tulane and received news that I have been recommended for admissions to the Department of Global Community Health and Behavioral Sciences! :D:);)

That was the last school I was waiting on! This has been a challengingly rewarding application period. Best wishes to everyone who is waiting. I'll be around to join in the conversations about which school to choose! ;)

Mickey- I was accepted last Friday. I bugged Mary in admissions like crazy though.

Why did you choose Columbia over Harvard, did you get full scholarship? I am currently decising between JHU, Harvard and Columbia.

Has anyone heard from SBS at Yale? I received those verification e-mails from Yale on 1/8...

I just got in to Arizona. I know a few people on here were applying there as well so decisions should be arriving shortly :)

So Stoked!

I'm in at Columbia for an MPH in Epidemiology with a Certificate in Infectious Diseases Epidemiology!!!!!

:highfive: It was well worth the wait :soexcited:

:banana:

I've been holding out and just watching for a while, but I've heard back from most places so thought I would post.

UGPA: 3.48 (as calculated by SOPHAS)
Major: Mathematics BS, Chemistry BA
GRE: 157 V, 162 Q
Experience: 6 months Biostatistics research at UNC, 1 year internship at Engineering World Health, certified as a phlebotomist-some phlebotomy experience, 2 years as a tutor & academic consultant, International Ambassador at University, Various volunteer work including a free health clinic

All Epi- (Submitted to SOPHAS 12/17, Verified by SOPHAS 1/17, Mailed by SOPHAS: 1/24)

Applied: BU, Tulane, Albany SUNY, UIC, Pitt, U South Carolina, Yale, Michigan, Emory, GW, Columbia
Accepted: Tulane (2/1/13), Emory (2/13/13), Albany SUNY (2/21/13), Pitt (2/22/13), Yale (2/22/13), GW (3/1/13), Michigan (3/7/13), Columbia (3/7/13)
Rejected: None Yet

But I just got the one (and only) letter I've been waiting for!

UGPA: 3.8 at a top-10 U.S. university
Major: Comparative Human Development (a mix of anthropology, sociology, and psych); Gender and Sexuality Studies; Human Rights minor
GRE: 166 V; 158 Q; 5 W
Experience: 2.5 years at an advocacy non-profit that works on public health issues; various undergraduate internships at health NGOs in India, South Africa, and domestically

Applied: Johns Hopkins for the full-time general MPH (Submitted 12/20; JHSPH marked complete on 01/02)
Accepted: Johns Hopkins :D (03/07 via website; no email notification!)

I only applied to Hopkins this go around as I was also applying to law schools that don't have strong MPH joint-programs, with the hope that if I got into Hopkins, I'd defer and do my MPH in the year between my 1L and 2L of law school. The plan is finally falling into place and becoming a reality!!!

My parents notified me that BU wait-listed me for HPM via SNAIL MAIL to my American address (I'm living overseas currently). They want a response by March 11.

I'm extremely surprised that I was wait-listed, and a bit surprised I didn't receive any scholarship money as I had hoped.

I'm going to call them on Monday to withdraw my application. I'm not bummed as I have good options elsewhere, but BU's weird admissions process is realllllly weird. Snail mail with a three day window to reply? Seriously? I'm lucky my parents were in town.

Last edited:
Is today THE day? If we don't all hear from Cal and Harvard, I am going to scream. Or something like this :wtf:

It would be awesome if UIC sent out notices for MS-Epi applicants today too

I agree!!

DomerRM, have you been in contact with any faculty in the epi department?? I know that other types of M.S. programs (not in public health) suggest you reach out to faculty members you would be interested in working with after submitting your application. I got the impression after talking to someone at UIC last year that they will match you with an advisor if accepted, so there's no need in trying to get into contact with faculty beforehand (I also worry it might be an annoyance to randomly email professors). Just wondering if other M.S. applicants have the same impression.

Last edited:
Based on what Ducksinarow found and a discussion I had with someone at the SPH that's how it works - matching you with faculty. I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt to contact faculty so your name was in the back of their heads though.

After waiting almost 9 weeks, I got rejection email from Emory RSPH environmental health for the MPH program today. Pretty bummed, but Emory was a bit far reached for me overall. Still waiting for one more school Cal before I make decision :) UCLA and Minnesota still provide good opportunities for me so I'm still excited about choosing between these two and possible Cal.