Rejected Across the Board! But Not Giving Up. Care to Help Me Out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiinch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning All!

Sadly, I didn't make it this year for a PhD, it looks like. I'm not terribly surprised, as I had deficient research experience. I am active duty military, so I am now looking for something after work that I can do to boost my research experience to reapply in December. This means I will only have about 9 months to get any experience I can manage!

Here are my stats:

UG GPA: 3.75, Magna Cum Laude, Student of the Year for Graduating Class (BA Political Science)
Psychology GPA: 3.75, including Stats and Research Methods. Approx. 20 units of upper division
GRE: 158 Qual, 157 Quant, 5.0 W
Subject Test: 660 (will likely retake after studying more)
Research Experience: UG Honor's thesis--meta analysis of psyche of terrorism studies, case study of USS Cole Attack. One semester data collection for Survey & Political Research Institute.

I am not sure if I should look exclusively at labs that pertain to my areas of interest, or any psychology labs. I'm leaning towards the latter so I can cast a wide net. I am wondering if you all can lend some advice as to how I can get the most bang for my time before next application cycle!

Also, I plan on diversifying my applications: contrary to this year, I plan to apply to a variety of PhDs in Clinical and Counseling. Also, I will probably reapply at some of the ones I was rejected from this year.

Thanks so much for any and all insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. How competitive were the programs you applied to?
2. How was the fit between your interests/experiences and the mentors you applied to?
3. You describe research experience, but do not mention any publications or presentations. It sounds like you had none.

The programs were competitive for the most part, but I generally only applied to ones where I matched the mean GRE and GPA of past cohorts. I applied for a few reach schools as well.

In my mind, the fit was excellent. Given my experience with military and strong background in political science, I was most interested in studying EBTs for PTSD and the interaction of veteran criminality, the law, and alternate sentencing in "Veteran's Courts." Most of the professors either specifically worked in PTSD research and/or psychology and the law.

I have no publications or presentations, but I'm willing to volunteer as much as possible (so long as it will work with my full-time job) to try and get my name into some manuscripts/conference presentations, etc.

Looking forward to your insight, PBCocce.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would circle back. The places that you applied likely had people researching PTSD. I'd touch base with them and show you've got a lot of fight- ask if you can volunteer to help them with their research. Even if you're not physically in the same location as them, they may be willing for you to help in some ways, and it might help when reapplying in the future.

Quite frankly, you need pubs/prez to get any traction in our field. It's just too competitive not to, imo.

Hi! I'm just an applicant right now myself, but for what it's worth: I wouldn't worry so much about your psychology subject GRE score....I got basically the same score as you and it hasn't prevented me from getting interviews at the schools who require that test! Especially since you took lots of psych classes and have a good psych gpa I don't think they weigh that test very heavily.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you Bmed. I will contact each of the schools I was well-matched with and see what I can do. I am hoping that I can get some presentations with a lab locally, but I'm ever-cognizant of the time frame--will 9 months be enough time to produce anything substantial that could change my application from "so-so" to competitive?

fiinch to give you hope, i remember a few years ago a guy interviewed at like 6 doc programs. He was an undergrad working in a lab of a friend of mine. Anyways, he works his butt off on research for a year (in that lab) as a post-bacc volunteer and the next year applied to a lot of the same programs. He got like 4 amazing offers iirc. Great enough offers that he had to turn down the PI he'd been working with for the last year.

My goodness! That definitely gives me hope! I hope I have the same good fortune. I will work hard this year....I so hope it comes together soon!

I know this is a bizarre question, but do you live anywhere near the northeast?

I currently live in Maryland, where I am stationed. :)

There's a military post in natick, MA (right outside of Boston) that is entirely research geared. I'm currently working in a psych lab there as a contractor. I don't know if you can get a reassignment but it would be PERFECT for you!

There's a military post in natick, MA (right outside of Boston) that is entirely research geared. I'm currently working in a psych lab there as a contractor. I don't know if you can get a reassignment but it would be PERFECT for you!
Wow this is fantastic! I wish I could get a reassignment, but it's out of the cards for me right now--I am exiting the military in September.

That being said: I am already getting some positive leads for ~10 week in research. I am hoping to start ASAP and participate until September when my military contract ends. In total, this gives me between 270-300 hours, depending on start and finish dates, of additional psychology-specific research experience. Can anyone offer insight if this would be enough to boost my application for the next application season, having considered the stats listed above?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
127 Quant

Is that a typo?? I don't even see 127 on the percentile conversion chart. This is murdering your app--definitely take it again.

Your plan sounds good to me; how much the research makes a difference will depend on what exactly you are doing and how good a letter you'll be able to get at the end. But that GRE is bottlenecking it.

Reactions: 1 user
Is that a typo?? I don't even see 127 on the percentile conversion chart. This is murdering your app--definitely take it again.

Your plan sounds good to me; how much the research makes a difference will depend on what exactly you are doing and how good a letter you'll be able to get at the end. But that GRE is bottlenecking it.
WOAH that's not right LOL! I updated it to reflect my actually Quant score of 157 :)

I don't know the new GRE metric, so I won't comment on that.

Consider programs that have strong VA affiliates and/or research programs on military PTSD.

Boston U/VA
UCSD
Emory/VA
UF/VA

etc. . .
Thank you, I will look into these programs! I know that my research, even with an additional RA position amassing ~300 hours before next round, will likely be too low for UCSD but I will still apply :) I was waitlisted for interview at UF so I will apply there again, and hopefully the added research will help me more!

Good morning All!

Sadly, I didn't make it this year for a PhD, it looks like. I'm not terribly surprised, as I had deficient research experience. I am active duty military, so I am now looking for something after work that I can do to boost my research experience to reapply in December. This means I will only have about 9 months to get any experience I can manage!

Here are my stats:

UG GPA: 3.75, Magna Cum Laude, Student of the Year for Graduating Class (BA Political Science)
Psychology GPA: 3.75, including Stats and Research Methods. Approx. 20 units of upper division
GRE: 158 Qual, 157 Quant, 5.0 W
Subject Test: 660 (will likely retake after studying more)
Research Experience: UG Honor's thesis--meta analysis of psyche of terrorism studies, case study of USS Cole Attack. One semester data collection for Survey & Political Research Institute.

I am not sure if I should look exclusively at labs that pertain to my areas of interest, or any psychology labs. I'm leaning towards the latter so I can cast a wide net. I am wondering if you all can lend some advice as to how I can get the most bang for my time before next application cycle!

Also, I plan on diversifying my applications: contrary to this year, I plan to apply to a variety of PhDs in Clinical and Counseling. Also, I will probably reapply at some of the ones I was rejected from this year.

Thanks so much for any and all insight!

Your GPA is pretty strong. I would say rather than spending energy on the Psych test you should see if you can get a higher GRE score. But if you don't want to take the test again then definitely research experience. Also strong letters of recommendation from people you know will speak highly of you and consider what you're putting in your statement of purpose. I've lurked in these forums a lot and people have talked about not having strong publications or presentations but were able to get interviews because of strong statement of purposes, rec letters, and a good amount of time as an RA.

WOAH that's not right LOL! I updated it to reflect my actually Quant score of 157 :)
Consider applying to University of St Thomas. In St. Paul/Minneapolis. Their program is not as competitive as say an R1 Phd, (they are practitioner -local scientist model: equal in skills and research ), Counseling PsyD. Must have masters prior to coming (in any field psych related), don't require much research experience, are extremely connected to the Minneapolis VA, have a good local reputation, are APA, based on small cohort model, and have graduates /alumni who look output for each other. Several profs are strong in anxiety and PTSD treatment/research.

Consider applying to University of St Thomas. In St. Paul/Minneapolis. Their program is not as competitive as say an R1 Phd, (they are practitioner -local scientist model: equal in skills and research ), Counseling PsyD. Must have masters prior to coming (in any field psych related), don't require much research experience, are extremely connected to the Minneapolis VA, have a good local reputation, are APA, based on small cohort model, and have graduates /alumni who look output for each other. Several profs are strong in anxiety and PTSD treatment/research.
Unfortunately, I'm automatically not qualified for that school since I don't have a masters. I will look in that region though and see if other programs have a robust interaction with the VA! Thanks for the input!

Your GPA is pretty strong. I would say rather than spending energy on the Psych test you should see if you can get a higher GRE score. But if you don't want to take the test again then definitely research experience. Also strong letters of recommendation from people you know will speak highly of you and consider what you're putting in your statement of purpose. I've lurked in these forums a lot and people have talked about not having strong publications or presentations but were able to get interviews because of strong statement of purposes, rec letters, and a good amount of time as an RA.
That's not a bad idea--I will plan on retaking that exam, then! Once I reach summer, I should have more time to prepare for it. :) Are there any specific recommendations regarding the SOP? I consider myself a strong writer, but perhaps I didn't present information in the most compelling way.

That's not a bad idea--I will plan on retaking that exam, then! Once I reach summer, I should have more time to prepare for it. :) Are there any specific recommendations regarding the SOP? I consider myself a strong writer, but perhaps I didn't present information in the most compelling way.
use people on here to anonymously give feedback. The majority of the posters consistently on this site have either a) created a SOP that at least got them into a doctoral program or b) have been on both sides of this... we even have a few TD's lurking on here. Who better to give anonymous feedback?

Reactions: 1 users
use people on here to anonymously give feedback. The majority of the posters consistently on this site have either a) created a SOP that at least got them into a doctoral program or b) have been on both sides of this... we even have a few TD's lurking on here. Who better to give anonymous feedback?
Sounds good then :) I will submit for feedback sometime in the future. Can anyone else comment on whether securing research for ~9/10 months be enough to make a difference?

Someone posted this link on the main thread for doctoral applicants: http://psychology.unl.edu/psichi/Graduate_School_Application_Kisses_of_Death.pdf

I read it before applying and found the tips to be really helpful not just during interviews but for composing an SOP. Definitely put yourself into it and make it individualized and personal and don't be afraid to talk about what makes your experiences unique but some of the tips in the paper also helps tell you maybe what NOT to say and what to lay off on. Also, read papers by the person you want to work with and briefly reference their work in the SOP when you talk about wanting to work with them. You want them to know you did some research.

Someone posted this link on the main thread for doctoral applicants: http://psychology.unl.edu/psichi/Graduate_School_Application_Kisses_of_Death.pdf

I read it before applying and found the tips to be really helpful not just during interviews but for composing an SOP. Definitely put yourself into it and make it individualized and personal and don't be afraid to talk about what makes your experiences unique but some of the tips in the paper also helps tell you maybe what NOT to say and what to lay off on. Also, read papers by the person you want to work with and briefly reference their work in the SOP when you talk about wanting to work with them. You want them to know you did some research.
Check out a book "insiders guide in graduate counseling and clinical psych."
Also, email each prof at the school you are interested (after looking up their literature based on their publicly available cv posted at their uni) and then email them directly
"Hello Dr smith, ... I am interested in (state your similar interests to their interest). I have experience in (state ur research exp).
I would
Like to know if you are taking any students for next year (essentially you want to know if they are Looking for a lab rat if it's an R1 school).

Email
Me directly if you want more tips. Remember to apply to aleast 12 schools where you are a competitive applicant (based on gpa & gre). If you are applying to a research heavy school, you need to have at least rather a poster presentation or a publication. If not a research school general research exp is good
Start.