Rejected From Dental! Who is planning on applying again in the 2015 Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rtj2e

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applied late and could only afford 3 schools, now I'm thinking about applying again.

BPC: - 3.9
sGPA: ~3.5
oGPA: ~3.3

DAT: AA 21, all over 17

I think I was rejected because I'm barely above average and applied in late September. I've heard you need "signs of continuing improvement" in order to be competitive the second time around.

What are some good plans for increasing competitiveness the second time around?

Members don't see this ad.

Applied late and could only afford 3 schools, now I'm thinking about applying again.

I think I was rejected because I'm barely above average and applied in late September. I've heard you need "signs of continuing improvement" in order to be competitive the second time around.

You're fine. Apply early.

You applied too late. That's really the only problem I see.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can mate, try and apply to more schools too. That would be a big help!

Which schools did you apply?

Apply early and broadly!

Shadow more at general dental clinic and specialty clinics. Get some research experience and good recommendation letters from the dentists you shadowed with. I applied much later than you did and got an acceptance and decent # of interviews, so your rejection may have had more to do with your stat than the time your applied. Where did you apply and were you invited for interviews? Also, apply more than 3 places unless your stat is absolutely stellar.

Which schools did you apply?

I applied to VCU, Louisville, and University of Tennessee. I didn't get an interview anywhere. Another weakness in my application is that I shadowed my brother-in-law and got a recommendation from him.

I appreciate the feedback from everybody.

I will be applying to the U of MN and Marquette again and highly unlikely anywhere else.

Another weakness in my application is that I shadowed my brother-in-law and got a recommendation from him.

How did the know he was your brother in law? Unless you have the same last name omit that part in the LOR.

How did the know he was your brother in law? Unless you have the same last name omit that part in the LOR.

I answered the question "does anybody in your family work as a dentist" with a "yes" and listed him. The VCU admissions already knew about him otherwise I wouldn't have listed him

I answered the question "does anybody in your family work as a dentist" with a "yes" and listed him.

I don't know if you mentioned this, but what is your residency? That also plays a role in where you should apply.

Why not anywhere else? Everybody's telling me to apply to more.
He probably has good enough stats to get in or really does not care for any other schools. You do not have to heed any advice on this forum.
Generally speaking, applicants should apply broadly to increase their chances of receiving interviews but where to apply to and the number of schools is up to you.

Reactions: 1 user
The residency question is complex, but I live in Tennessee and am from VA.

Why not anywhere else? Everybody's telling me to apply to more.
I applied this year (to the same schools) to get in without my bachelors degree with a oGPA= 3.32 sGPA=3.43 and bcpGPA= 3.44 with a DAT AA of 23 and received interviews at both and I think not getting my bachelors degree (applied after sophomore year) and also a lower than average GPA really was my downfall. I have also done a lot of things in the recent months to apply again (leadership experience, dental volunteering, CNA job) and my GPA has been steadily increasing and my GPAs are now oGPA 3.37, sGPA=3.51, and bcpGPA=3.55 and so far all A's in my classes this semester. I have done a lot of pondering and ultimately it came down to doing what would be best for my fiance. She will be graduating this fall and she and I both want to stay in either Minnesota or Wisconsin as she has a career she will just be beginning and since we would end up going back to MN anyway it would be smart for her to begin her career within the region and hopefully be able to keep the job after dental school if she goes that route. If I end up applying again I will apply more but since I applied a year earlier than normal I feel that time is still on my side and a gap year can never hurt!

Last edited:
You apply to more because dental school admissions are about as predictable as my ex-gf is sane. This cycle felt like shotgunning a moving target at 50 yards.

And I cant believe no one has mentioned this, but I think getting a LOR from a family member is not advisable. Best get it from someone else next round.

Almost identical stats to you and in the same boat.

sGPA: 3.43
oGPA: 3.53
DAT: 21AA, 23PAT, lowest 19 QR

I applied to Louisville (still waitlisted but only 3 spots left), UK, MUSC, UAB, Ohio State, and Florida.

No interview at Ohio State because I didn't have enough shadowing hours.
Interviewed at UK, Louisville, UAB, MUSC all with rejections besides Louisville so far.

I've been shadowing a lot more and applying to dental labs while I look for a decent 1 year masters program that I can afford. I'm also planning on getting my application finished the day it opens.

Did you get a 15 or lower on reading or math? that could possibly hurt your app..