2015 Rejected on the Early Decision stage for Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onqqq2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I recently got denied admission for CU School of Pharmacy on the Early Decision stage of admission and was wondering if there are any success stories in my situation after the fact. I thought I was a strong applicant with a 3.7 GPA and an 85th percentile PCAT, and what I thought was a strong interview. I was surprised to find that they denied me for "further review" in later months.
Is there anyone else out there who is or was in my boat?
And for that matter does anyone know the relative difficulty of being admitted for Early Decision, since I thought it would increase my chances rather than lower them?
I am guessing the most probable reason for my differed rejection was the fact that I do not have a bachelors yet. Many of the students who were applying with me, when introducing themselves, indicated that they already have family, have gone to the military, and like I stated before have a bachelors and thus have an extra year or more of college under their belts.
Please let me know what you guys think, thank you for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Bummer! I'm sorry to hear that. What kind of pharmacy experience and extra curricular activities have you been involved with? I feel that is what solidifies a strong applicant and will set you apart from everyone else.

As for pharmacy experience I have plenty, I have worked as a technician since I got out of high school. In addition I have been to many pharmacies around the Denver Metro Area. However extracurricular activities I know that I am very much lacking in, I am ashamed to admit. This, and a lack of degree, is where I believe I am disadvantaged at least with regard to Early Decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm extremely surprised with a solid GPA/PCAT score and plenty of pharmacy experience that they didn't accept you. If you have other choices, I can say that I am confident that someone would accept you with the stats and experience that you shared. Obviously a degree and extra curricular activities like volunteering somewhere will boost your application and show these schools that you are not only committed to working as a pharmacist but assisting your community members in the process. Keep trying though.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry to hear that!
I'm very surprised becuase you had good GPA and pcat. I think apply to newer schools would help becuase they would take lots of people. I'm in the same boat with you, 3.8 GPA, getting a BS in biochem soon, but lack of volunteer experience and I'm aiming to CA schools, which is highly competitive. And I kinda don't want to apply to new schools becuase I have good GPA.
Good luck for both of us!!!

I just got accepted early decision and I do not have a degree yet. so there is hope.

That's surprising, sorry to hear that but with such a strong GPA, pretty sure you will get into another good school :)

Thank you to every one who responded to my post! I believe I still have a really good chance getting in to CU once they start taking regular decision applicants. I will definitely look into more community service opportunities to increase my chances. I will keep on crossing my fingers!

I just got accepted early decision and I do not have a degree yet. so there is hope.
Did you get accepted to CU or another school? Regardless congratulations, and if you don't mind me asking what credentials do you think you had that helped you stand out to them? I would imagine I must have been lacking in this field. Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that!
I'm very surprised becuase you had good GPA and pcat. I think apply to newer schools would help becuase they would take lots of people. I'm in the same boat with you, 3.8 GPA, getting a BS in biochem soon, but lack of volunteer experience and I'm aiming to CA schools, which is highly competitive. And I kinda don't want to apply to new schools becuase I have good GPA.
Good luck for both of us!!!
Yeah I am kind of nervous because there are only two schools in Colorado for me to apply to, so I am trying very hard to get into either one of them. Good luck in your case as well! :)

No, I have been accepted ED to Texas A&M University, I have 200 hours of volunteer/community service hours and I served in the Air Force for 10 years as a Non-commisioned officer (supervisory/leadership). we have similar stats as far as gpa and pcat goes.