Rejection thread- Please share STATS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UDflyerMM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am curious to know which schools have you been rejected from and share your stats?

Is there such thing as an "AUTOREJECT"? Does it matter being well-rounded?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, Western didn't full out reject me, but they did tell to retake the MCAT. And yes, there is such thing as auto-reject.
sGPA/cGPA: 3.63/3.67
MCAT: 7/4/9
Good LORs and ECs

Western - wait listed
Scholls -admission offer; probably going to accept after CSPM interview (better COL)
CSPM interview invite
Barry- rejected
NYC - rejected
Temple - rejected

I am a older student (34yo)
sGPA/cGPA: 3.39/3.53
MCAT: 8/7/5 was going to retake
Great LORs and ECs, Research

Members don't see this ad :)
The timetable is important - stats that would get you an interview at the beginning of the cycle may get you a rejection closer to the end as the waiting list fills up.

I agree with "heybrother" I took my mcat in January. I contacted Midwestern and western and they told me the classes are getting full, if not full already. Midwestern told me they have 27 deposits out of 30 slots and have interviews scheduled for the next month.

@Kevin732 do you happen to know how many spots are left for Western. I got an interview in late April and I am taking the MCAT this week but I am worried if I have to retake the MCAT in April or early May bc of a low score would put me out of the running.

I don't know about spots at western. I was really shocked that Midwestern told me this on the phone. What western told me is that by May they will then be picking from wait list. One would assume that means they are done interviewing and now they are filling the few extra slots of students that didn't accept.

Maybe someone can jump in and correct me if I am wrong, but I think April is getting kind of late. I'm sure it still is possible, but with a retake I think it is just cutting it close. Don't forget you have a month wait until you get your score. Kill that mcat this next month and put it and the possibly of retaking it behind you and join us all in the fall:)

darn I just took another practice test and I am really borderline on a 20 on the practice MCATs. even if I retake they wont get the scores till late May, hopefully I have a good impression on interview so they can at least put me on waitlist. anybody know how many they admit, I know they interview 120-140.

Western - wait listed
Scholls -admission offer; probably going to accept after CSPM interview (better COL)
CSPM interview invite
Barry- rejected
NYC - rejected
Temple - rejected

I am a older student (34yo)
sGPA/cGPA: 3.39/3.53
MCAT: 8/7/5 was going to retake
Great LORs and ECs, Research

Looks like MCAT matters a lot, I have interviews at Barry, Western, and Temple and a few others even though my GPA is much worse (my MCAT score is a good bit higher though)

Honestly, I would bet it has to do more with the 5 in BS than the overall score. Had it been a balanced 8/7/7 or 8/7/8, I bet he would have multiple acceptances.

I totally agree with capcrunch. The 5 is a red flag. This was why I was willing to retake if I didn't get an acceptance. I just lost track of timing towards the end and it almost cost me acceptance into school this fall, because it was getting to late to retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone willing to update with their own stats, rejected or accepted? Thanks!

Hi,

Just got an auto reject from temple. I also applied to dmu, nycpm, Kent, and scholl. I was wondering if I have any chance at getting into any of these schools.

Stats:
Mcat-20
Sgpa-3.70
Cgpa-3.83

I currently am also completing a masters in public health. I was on a full ride based on academics at university of Illinois-Urbana champaign. I have my name on a research publication. I know my mcat is on the low end, but what are my chances. I live in Chicago and would ideally like to go to scholl. Any advice or thoughts would greatly be appreciate

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Just got an auto reject from temple. I also applied to dmu, nycpm, Kent, and scholl. I was wondering if I have any chance at getting into any of these schools.

Stats:
Mcat-20
Sgpa-3.70
Cgpa-3.83

I currently am also completing a masters in public health. I was on a full ride based on academics at university of Illinois-Urbana champaign. I have my name on a research publication. I know my mcat is on the low end, but what are my chances. I live in Chicago and would ideally like to go to scholl. Any advice or thoughts would greatly be appreciate
With those stats there is no question on earth you won't get into at least Kent or Scholl.

Hi,

Stats:
Mcat-20
Sgpa-3.70
Cgpa-3.83

I have an interview coming up with Temple!
what questions did they ask you? I am worried about my MCAT score

My Stats:

sgpa: 3.14
cgpa:3.34
MCAT: 489 (1st time), 493(2nd time)
shadowed 2 pods, received 1 lor from one. sent a committee letter from undergrad. lots of ec of volunteering in hospitals and other health based places.

Schools I applied to:
Temple - (auto)rejected
Western-(auto)rejected
DMU - interview invite
NYCPM - interview invite
Kent- pending
Scholl-pending
Samuel Merritt - pending

Temple and WesternU, even though I indicated that I will be retaking the mcat, pretty much auto rejected me when I had the mcat score of 489.

My Stats:

shadowed 2 pods, received 1 lor from one. sent a committee letter from undergrad. lots of ec of volunteering in hospitals and other health based places.

Schools I applied to:
Temple - (auto)rejected
Western-(auto)rejected
DMU - interview invite
NYCPM - interview invite
Kent- pending
Scholl-pending
Samuel Merritt - pending

Temple and WesternU, even though I indicated that I will be retaking the mcat, pretty much auto rejected me when I had the mcat score of 489.

So you applied with your first MCAT score? even to DMU?

So you applied with your first MCAT score? even to DMU?

Yeah I did. When I submitted my application, I indicated that I will be retaking the mcat, so most of the schools put me on hold. However, Temple and Western decided not to wait (Temple gave me rejection days after my application was verified. Western took a little while longer). After the 493, DMU(kind of surprised me) and NYCPM gave me invites.

Yeah I did. When I submitted my application, I indicated that I will be retaking the mcat, so most of the schools put me on hold. However, Temple and Western decided not to wait (Temple gave me rejection days after my application was verified. Western took a little while longer). After the 493, DMU(kind of surprised me) and NYCPM gave me invites.
You give me hope! I have similar stats to you and was hesitating on applying but I'm glad you got a couple of invites:) Congrats hope it goes well for you!

sGPA and cGPA 3.7 and 3.6 respectively. I forget the exact numbers
21 MCAT
Temple- rejected
Kent- waitlist, then accepted
New York- accepted
DMU- accepted
Scholl- accepted

At least I'm going somewhere! Pushing for DMU and Scholl too, I loved both of them

Last edited:
21 MCAT
Temple- rejected
Kent- waitlist
New York- accepted
DMU- pending
Scholl- pending

At least I'm going somewhere! Pushing for DMU and Scholl too, I loved both of them

If you don't mind me asking, what was your interview like at NYCPM? what kind of questions did they ask you? I'm trying to prepare for mine lol

If you got into DMU, and Scholl, out of the 3 schools, which would you pick?

If you don't mind me asking, what was your interview like at NYCPM? what kind of questions did they ask you? I'm trying to prepare for mine lol

If you got into DMU, and Scholl, out of the 3 schools, which would you pick?
Definitely DMU, it way my favorite by far (and cheaper). But I'll be happy anywhere

New York was pretty interesting. My first interview was with a doctor and an admissions lady. They first asked why I would want to come to NYCPM, and what did I have to offer to the school. Then they asked about some stuff on my app. If you have any red flags on your app, be prepared to explain them. They asked about my lowish MCAT score.

The second interview was with a student. It was really good. I think my student interview was one of the main reasons why I got in. I think they try to pair you up with a student who is a lot like you. For me, I'm an athletic white male, and my interviewer was exactly the same. We had a lot in common, talked about sports, research, girls, NY party scene, and other guy things. We had a lot of laughs. It was really chill, relaxing, and kinda fun. I think the only real question he asked was what did I like to do for fun. The rest was just convo.

Be prepared to ask both the student and admissions people good questions, they love that. I asked about residency placements, research, and transitioning to a huge city like New York

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely DMU, it way my favorite by far (and cheaper). But I'll be happy anywhere

New York was pretty interesting. My first interview was with a doctor and an admissions lady. They first asked why I would want to come to NYCPM, and what did I have to offer to the school. Then they asked about some stuff on my app. If you have any red flags on your app, be prepared to explain them. They asked about my lowish MCAT score.

The second interview was with a student. It was really good. I think my student interview was one of the main reasons why I got in. I think they try to pair you up with a student who is a lot like you. For me, I'm an athletic white male, and my interviewer was exactly the same. We had a lot in common, talked about sports, research, girls, NY party scene, and other guy things. We had a lot of laughs. It was really chill, relaxing, and kinda fun. I think the only real question he asked was what did I like to do for fun. The rest was just convo.

Be prepared to ask both the student and admissions people good questions, they love that. I asked about residency placements, research, and transitioning to a huge city like New York

were you rejected from temple after the interview or were you aut0-rejected? I have an interview coming up with them and my MCAT score is similar to yours..

were you rejected from temple after the interview or were you aut0-rejected? I have an interview coming up with them and my MCAT score is similar to yours..
After interview. I emailed and asked why I got rejected, because I had a great interview. They said the only reason why was because of my MCAT score. They also said if I retook and did better, I could resubmit and I'd be looked at again

After interview. I emailed and asked why I got rejected, because I had a great interview. They said the only reason why was because of my MCAT score. They also said if I retook and did better, I could resubmit and I'd be looked at again

That makes me really nervous.. My MCAT is a 22, but I have a GPA of 3.92.
I don't understand why they interview people if they do not approve of their MCAT score! Sush a waste of time.

Last edited:
That makes me really nervous.. My MCAT is a 22, but I have a GPA of 3.92.
I don't understand why they interview people if they do not approve of their MCAT score! Sush a waste of time.
Yeah it's crappy, but I got in somewhere so it's all good. I thought interview invites meant your stats are good enough, and they just want to make sure you aren't crazy/you'll fit in with the school well

21 MCAT
Temple- rejected
Kent- waitlist
New York- accepted
DMU- pending
Scholl- pending

Update for you guys needing hope
Temple- rejected
Kent- waitlist, then accepted w/ scholarship
New York- accepted
DMU- accepted w/ scholarship
Scholl- accepted

You guys can do it. It's still early in the cycle so don't sweat anything

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

Stats:
Mcat-20
Sgpa-3.70
Cgpa-3.83

Hi RG3,

Your stats are pretty close to mine but I scored worse than you on the MCAT. I was accepted to Kent State, and given interview invites at DMU and WesternU. So I think you have a chance as long as you submit your application early :) Hope this helps and best of luck.

This thread is really showing me that an average MCAT score is probably not going to cut it anymore/end up putting you right on the line, even with good GPA/curricular...

This thread is really showing me that an average MCAT score is probably not going to cut it anymore/end up putting you right on the line, even with good GPA/curricular...

I have a pretty low mcat score and I have been accepted

Update for you guys needing hope
Temple- rejected
Kent- waitlist
New York- accepted
DMU- accepted w/ scholarship
Scholl- accepted

DMU here I come. You guys can do it. It's still early in the cycle so don't sweat anything

I'm waiting to hear from dmu! Wow you got a scholarship? :) congrats! Hopefully I'll see you at dmu in August! :clap:

Reactions: 1 users
Schools I applied to:
Temple - (auto)rejected
Western-(auto)rejected
DMU - interview invite
NYCPM - interview invite
Kent- pending
Scholl-pending
Samuel Merritt - pending

Update:

Temple - (auto)rejected
Western-(auto)rejected
DMU - Rejected :(
NYCPM - interview invite
Kent- Interview invite
Scholl- Accepted:)
Samuel Merritt - Interview invite

Update:

Temple - (auto)rejected
Western-(auto)rejected
DMU - Rejected :(
NYCPM - interview invite
Kent- Interview invite
Scholl- Accepted:)
Samuel Merritt - Interview invite

Scholl is a great school so congrats!

My Stats:

Schools I applied to:
Temple - (auto)rejected
Western-(auto)rejected
DMU - interview invite
NYCPM - interview invite
Kent- pending
Scholl-pending
Samuel Merritt - pending

If you had applied to all the schools you listed after getting the 493, do you think Temple and Western would reconsider their auto-reject?
I scored almost identical to you on both tries and am retaking a 3rd time in June to get 493+ (More of a personal battle than anything...I want to beat this thing lol). Ideally I've heard 498+.

If you had applied to all the schools you listed after getting the 493, do you think Temple and Western would reconsider their auto-reject?
I scored almost identical to you on both tries and am retaking a 3rd time in June to get 493+ (More of a personal battle than anything...I want to beat this thing lol). Ideally I've heard 498+.

After getting the 493, I called Temple. They said they would reconsider if I achieved 495+

Western was pretty weird. I indicated on my app that I was retaking the test when I had the 489, but they auto rejected me. I got a call from them about a masters program (was so random..) couple days later. The person also mentioned my low MCAT. I asked if they knew about the retake. Apparently they overlooked it, but still wouldn't reconsider. If I applied with the 493, they probably would've given me an interview.

Good luck with the MCAT. After the 493, I decided to not go through all that hassle. I will have more exams later in my podiatry school career anyway lol

After getting the 493, I called Temple. They said they would reconsider if I achieved 495+

Western was pretty weird. I indicated on my app that I was retaking the test when I had the 489, but they auto rejected me. I got a call from them about a masters program (was so random..) couple days later. The person also mentioned my low MCAT. I asked if they knew about the retake. Apparently they overlooked it, but still wouldn't reconsider. If I applied with the 493, they probably would've given me an interview.

Good luck with the MCAT. After the 493, I decided to not go through all that hassle. I will have more exams later in my podiatry school career anyway lol

Oh wow ok. I'm guessing Western was trying to suck you into a post-bac of some sort and then re-apply upon completion. Temple is pretty competitive so I'm not surprised at that 495+ figure.

And yeah I can completely understand why you wouldn't want to take it again if you don't have to. I signed up for it a 3rd time because I know the 2nd time if I had more time I would've done a lot better. That and I have another cycle to apply so time is in my favor if I take it over the summer.

But hey congrats on Scholl!

Geeze, it looks like pod school will soon be going the way of DO schools. Won't be long before a 25 MCAT is considered minimum.

I know I'm going to come off as being too blunt here, but there's a common theme that I've noticed on this thread and others, the MCAT score. Just to remind everyone, or educate if you don't know, the mean old MCAT score during any administration was about 25-26. Link to that data is below. I can tell you that when I was getting set to take the test in 2009, that was about what we were being told as well so the average had been the average for about a decade at least and I think they scaled the score to that. The other link down there is a handy conversion chart from the old to the new test. It's not from the AAMC, but is still pretty accurate from what I have found. What you'll see if you open both is that a 25 old MCAT is about a 500-501 on the new one, meaning that if you are anywhere in the 400's, you are below average.
It's nice that pod schools have been taking below average MCATs, but honestly, if they peg the minimum at 22 or 497 (and I know minimums are ignored at times and whatever), they're really asking for people to do better than the bottom 30% of test takers during that sitting of the exam.
Like I mentioned earlier, I don't want to make people feel bad, but at the same time, I do feel like there is a sense in these pod forums that if you have an sGPA above 3.0 (which is okay) and you get a participation ribbon on the MCAT, you're in.
Bottom line is, even if your GPA is great (and there are some sGPA's on this thread that are better than mine were), take a prep class, prepare yourself mentally so you don't become a victim of test anxiety, and at least pull down somewhere in the 500 neighborhood so there's no way these schools can reject you. I can't stress enough how important numbers are to getting your application read because nobody finds out about your work in clinics or hospitals or the center for homeless puppies if your app is in the trash can based off you MCAT score.

MCAT Scores from AAMC
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...7a4/finalpercentileranksfortheoldmcatexam.pdf

MCAT score conversion
http://www.savvypremed.com/savvy-pr...convert-old-mcat-scores-to-new-and-vice-versa