Rejection/Wait-list thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycho1391

Clinical Psychology Ph.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there are some negative thoughts and feelings associated with being rejected or wait-listed post-interview. Previous years have had a rejection thread to draw away from the interview invite thread. I'll go ahead and start.

I emailed the DCT at University of Central Florida (PhD--clinical psychology) and received an email back stating that I was a low-ranked alternate.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected from Rutger's School Psychology PsyD, and Loyola Chicago School Psychology PhD.

Official rejections received this week from Ole Miss and East TN State; also rejected post-interview from Northern Illinois Univ

Members don't see this ad :)
Aww, no waitlist blues thread this year? I started that trend several years ago.

Reactions: 6 users
Just a quick personal anecdote for folks here: I made it in off the waitlist at my grad program way back when, so don't let that fact that you've been waitlisted knock you down completely. Folks can and do gain admittance from waitlists every year.

Reactions: 2 users
Just a quick personal anecdote for folks here: I made it in off the waitlist at my grad program way back when, so don't let that fact that you've been waitlisted knock you down completely. Folks can and do gain admittance from waitlists every year.

I had no such luck last year. I was wait-listed and the school waited until the summer to let me know I was rejected.

Does anyone know if mass rejections have gone out for University of Minnesota or University of Washington (seattle) clinical PhD programs?

Official rejections for Tulsa, Northern Illinois, Wyoming (all clinical psych). NC Greensboro has a message on their site about having concluded their interviews and saying if you haven't heard anything it is unlikely you will. Still waiting on Teacher's College (cl), New Mexico (cl), Minnesota (co). Also haven't heard from Vanderbilt, Vermont or Reno, Nevada but don't feel good about them due to posted interview dates and the like.

Wait listed - Boston College - Counseling PhD - received email from Director

Feeling very upset and in the dark about things. I received a very nice email from my POI stating that I am her first alternate on her wait list (posts on TGC only refer to their high alternate status) and that she continues to believe I am an good fit for the program. She said it was a very difficult decision as to which person the first offer went out to and asked if I have accepted or have any other offers. For those of you who have been through this before, does this sound like a generic email sent? Would she be talking about being first on the wait list on the entire program or just for her lab? Another poster on TGC commented that their POI said the department was being stingy about extending interviews, does this mean that some POI could potentially fund more than one student? This is my top choice and really the only program I want to accept at so really trying to be realistic about my chances of an acceptance offer. Anyone have any wait list stories?

Reactions: 1 user
I got a rejection letter in the mail from Fairleigh Dickinson (Clinical) and it stated that I was "a strong candidate for admission as evidenced by your being chosen for an interview." However, I was never invited for an interview either by phone contact or email.

Members don't see this ad :)
the-waiting-place.jpg
and because its Dr. Seuss month....

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
Wait listed at Fordham for counseling. They made 17-20 offers for 7-10 spots, which seems different from other programs in that Fordham's offers anticipate a good idea of how many will decline. This makes me think that there is less of a likelihood of going to the wait list...

I just got accepted to the clinical psyc program after being wait-listed post-interview. Being accepted as a wait-listee actually happens!

Reactions: 5 users
"top tier alternate" at my first choice school - fingers crossed

Reactions: 3 users
"top tier alternate" at my first choice school - fingers crossed

I got an email like this too, I decided to take it as good news rather than bad. But, like many things in the process, who knows...

I got an email like this too, I decided to take it as good news rather than bad. But, like many things in the process, who knows...

I wonder if we're talking about the same program... I'll PM you

Not sure if you're beat up about this situation, but the program isn't great. This is based off of my personal experiences during the interview.
I had accepted the rejection long ago as I did not get an interview invite from them. My post was just out of frustration that they can't send me a proofread rejection letter.

Anyone else wait listed at Arkansas, and if so - were you given a position?

I am still waiting in limbo, but in case I am rejected this year, this is my new motto (even in I've only applied twice in 4 years--thanks, Obama!)
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1425067794.140466.jpg

Wait listed at American.
It has always been my understanding that proper etiquette is to just hold one acceptance so please make decisions.

Reactions: 1 users
So what are the actual chances of being accepted off the waitlist?
You can probably get a sense looking at admission data from years past- 20 people offered acceptance/10 people enrolled means about 10 people turned it down. And that doesn't count cases where someone on the alternate list declined consideration before potentially receiving an offer, so chances aren't too terrible at a lot of schools.

You can probably get a sense looking at admission data from years past- 20 people offered acceptance/10 people enrolled means about 10 people turned it down. And that doesn't count cases where someone on the alternate list declined consideration before potentially receiving an offer, so chances aren't too terrible at a lot of schools.

Not all schools publish this data, but I have seen more people offered admission than actual incoming class size at a lot of schools that do publish this data, so don't lose hope!

I know that there are some negative thoughts and feelings associated with being rejected or wait-listed post-interview. Previous years have had a rejection thread to draw away from the interview invite thread. I'll go ahead and start.

I emailed the DCT at University of Central Florida (PhD--clinical psychology) and received an email back stating that I was a low-ranked alternate.

I was also Wait listed here, Renk emailed me saying I was a high ranking alternative but I have heard absolutely nothing from my POI so who knows, I do not have high hopes

Do you think they just wait list everyone not accepted? Or do school reject post interviews even if the spots haven't been officially accepted by others?

Last edited:
one email says in years past they accepted at least half the class from the waitlist, so not terrible odds.

Last edited:
I got admitted off of the waitlist back in 2009. IIRC I was quite a few spots down it, too. It can definitely happen :)

Rejected from Yeshiva combined School-Clinical PsyD. No wait list even. *sigh* how I wish I knew what an acceptance feels less like :(

Rejected from Yeshiva combined School-Clinical PsyD. No wait list even. *sigh* how I wish I knew what an acceptance feels less like :(
Sorry to hear that :( Do you mind me asking how you found out? I still haven't heard anything good or bad...

First on the wait list for my top choice school. Oh please wait list Gods, work in my favor!

Reactions: 4 users
PsyD programs only: Rejected pre-interview from Widener and Ind State. Rejected post-interview from IUP and UIndy. Did interview at Yeshiva and Roosevelt and haven't heard anything, but acceptances have gone out. Haven't heard anything at all from PGSP regarding an interview offer or rejection.

I've seen a slew of rejections from NYU Counseling, but haven't received one. There was also a post on grad cafe that three people were accepted. I didn't receive either (nor did I get an interview)...does this mean anything in particular? Also, I just received an email from Lisa Williams at NYU requesting my birth date and I'm wondering if anyone knows what that might mean.

Low ranked alternate at Mississippi State University. I actually felt at home here and am super disappointed.

I just finished interviewing at University of Alaska Anchorage and still have an interview at University of Detrioit Mercy.

This is my third year applying and the process is getting disheartening.

Rejected from PGSP via phone (but they offered me an interview for their PhD program because it has neuropsych).

I've never been one of those people who got 'everything' they wanted or set out to achieve (although my sister and husband would beg to differ with that statement). I've had to deal with a ton of rejection, loss of spirit, and overall dissatisfaction. With that said, just a dose of hope for some....I accepted my funded offer from a waitlist (the stars were aligned and I was extremely fortunate). Hang in there and if/when you've heard from all the schools (do they still have that magic day in April?) and still nothing...reach out to the Directors of Training to find out how you can improve your application for next year (that was my major premise at that face-to-face meeting with DOT, after the April date, where I received my offer). :shy:

And for those rejections...:mooning: phooey on them....those programs are missing out, and there's always next year, right?

Perseverance is a great quality to have right about now. Just think of how badly you want this when you lose hope. If you want it badly enough, where there's a will, there's a way (as long as you're being 100% realistic in the goals you set). Best of luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I've never been one of those people who got 'everything' they wanted or set out to achieve (although my sister and husband would beg to differ with that statement). I've had to deal with a ton of rejection, loss of spirit, and overall dissatisfaction. With that said, just a dose of hope for some....I accepted my funded offer from a waitlist (the stars were aligned and I was extremely fortunate). Hang in there and if/when you've heard from all the schools (do they still have that magic day in April?) and still nothing...reach out to the Directors of Training to find out how you can improve your application for next year (that was my major premise at that face-to-face meeting with DOT, after the April date, where I received my offer). :shy:

And for those rejections...:mooning: phooey on them....those programs are missing out, and there's always next year, right?

Perseverance is a great quality to have right about now. Just think of how badly you want this when you lose hope. If you want it badly enough, where there's a will, there's a way (as long as you're being 100% realistic in the goals you set). Best of luck! :luck:

Thanks for the encouragement, but it's hard to play this waiting game the 2nd time around, especially when I'm totally qualified and know people less qualified who got into programs. I reached out last year to schools and either got no answer or unhelpful answers.

Found out yesterday that the candidate offered admission to my prospective lab at Purdue accepted, so it's officially out for me! Best of luck to the rest of you waitlisters! :)

Thanks for the encouragement, but it's hard to play this waiting game the 2nd time around, especially when I'm totally qualified and know people less qualified who got into programs. I reached out last year to schools and either got no answer or unhelpful answers.

I understand what you're feeling -- it's easy for people to be optimistic after they've found success, but it's extremely difficult for others to remain so cheerful in a less than desirable position without guarantees about the future. This is my first time applying for funded psychology programs; although I've found some success in obtaining a couple of interviews, the long wait and multiple rejections really get to you especially after all the genuine effort you've put into making yourself a competitive applicant.

I also have a lot of gripes about how crappy this application process is for psychology graduate programs, but that's a hornet's nest I'd rather save for another time :yeahright:

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, chai_latte, I hear you. I forgot to mention that I made it off a waitlist the 2nd year I applied. The big difference in my interview offers btwn 1st and 2nd time, was that I was more open and honest in my personal statement and shared my reasons on why I felt I had been deficit in the past (just a one-liner about my weaknesses), but the majority of my personal statement highlighted my strengths, and how well-matched my interests were to each program.

After the 2nd round of rejections, then being waitlisted at multiple places (WTF!? I wasn't good enough for outright acceptance?) and offers that I second-guessed (non-funded programs), I had a heart-to-heart with my brother who was actively convincing me to go to Law School (b/c he's a trial attorney and thought I would be good at it also). He asked me if I was being realistic in applying a third time (like, "aren't those programs telling you something pretty obvious?!?"‎) That hurt and was a blow to the ego, but I was like, "Hell, NO! I'm qualified...just did poorly in the interview, made a type-o in a cover letter (wrong program name), there were applicants who were better-received this round, etc. etc. - all my justifications for feeling I was qualified. I also remember feeling like if I don't have anything, I have nothing to lose. Then, I got on the phone, sent emails to training directors, and proactively, politely and professionally put myself out there to say 'I was not accepted this round, but I was impressed with your program and you WILL see me again.'

This type of resilience serves you well because in grad school the evaluation continues year after year with committee approvals, practicum, internship and post-doc placements.

All I can say is decide if you realistically can achieve your goal, don't dwell on time/money spent (they were dress-rehearsals), and push forward. Otherwise, Plan B is always an option (and mine was to apply to an independent training program that would've qualified me to be licensed-masters level psychotherapist in my state with my general psych MA that I already had). But even my Plan B goal convinced me that I really wanted to be clinician...so I was ready to go at it again....then my offer came in May of that year. Freaky anecdote, but encouragement nonetheless. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, chai_latte, I hear you. I forgot to mention that I made it off a waitlist the 2nd year I applied. The big difference in my interview offers btwn 1st and 2nd time, was that I was more open and honest in my personal statement and shared my reasons on why I felt I had been deficit in the past (just a one-liner about my weaknesses), but the majority of my personal statement highlighted my strengths, and how well-matched my interests were to each program.

After the 2nd round of rejections, then being waitlisted at multiple places (WTF!? I wasn't good enough for outright acceptance?) and offers that I second-guessed (non-funded programs), I had a heart-to-heart with my brother who was actively convincing me to go to Law School (b/c he's a trial attorney and thought I would be good at it also). He asked me if I was being realistic in applying a third time (like, "aren't those programs telling you something pretty obvious?!?"‎) That hurt and was a blow to the ego, but I was like, "Hell, NO! I'm qualified...just did poorly in the interview, made a type-o in a cover letter (wrong program name), there were applicants who were better-received this round, etc. etc. - all my justifications for feeling I was qualified. I also remember feeling like if I don't have anything, I have nothing to lose. Then, I got on the phone, sent emails to training directors, and proactively, politely and professionally put myself out there to say 'I was not accepted this round, but I was impressed with your program and you WILL see me again.'

This type of resilience serves you well because in grad school the evaluation continues year after year with committee approvals, practicum, internship and post-doc placements.

All I can say is decide if you realistically can achieve your goal, don't dwell on time/money spent (they were dress-rehearsals), and push forward. Otherwise, Plan B is always an option (and mine was to apply to an independent training program that would've qualified me to be licensed-masters level psychotherapist in my state with my general psych MA that I already had). But even my Plan B goal convinced me that I really wanted to be clinician...so I was ready to go at it again....then my offer came in May of that year. Freaky anecdote, but encouragement nonetheless. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement. Funny, people also told me to go to law school because I'm book smart and it's not so hard to get in, but I knew that wasn't what I wanted to do. What hurt the most last time around was when people told me I got rejected because I messed up the interviews- I got plenty of interviews, but zero acceptances. I've practiced my interview skills since then, so I hope it pays off..I have a hard time with interviews because I speak very intellectually and I'm introverted and not the most effusive, expressive, mushy types some of these programs seem to fall for

I was wait-listed at my top program, but my poi has been in contact since. She initially asked the status of my admissions decision and I told her I had not heard anything from them but would definitely accept if offered admission. She confirmed that I was wait-listed and said she would keep in touch. Now a few weeks later she emailed me again and asked if I was still interested or if I am considering other offers and said that she believes there is a slot for me... While positive, this in my mind is not definitive and not even really an informal offer. It's like a scope out before the offer. Like "if I ask you out will you say yes." I would like to believe that this will really work out considering she keeps scoping me out... But I'm kind of unsure how to proceed.

Would a simple "I have not accepted any offers yet and am still interested in your lab. I would be delighted to receive an offer!" suffice? Should I say something more definitive as in the program is my #1 choice and I'm waiting for them before I make a move anywhere else? <- I feel I have somewhat stated that by saying previously that I would definitely accept. I get that schools don't want to waste time and effort if the person will just turn them down and no one wants to extend 20+ offers for a class of 7, but I'm just a bit confused and not exactly sure what she is looking for me to say before even extending an informal offer.