Rejection/Wait-list thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, chai_latte, I hear you. I forgot to mention that I made it off a waitlist the 2nd year I applied. The big difference in my interview offers btwn 1st and 2nd time, was that I was more open and honest in my personal statement and shared my reasons on why I felt I had been deficit in the past (just a one-liner about my weaknesses), but the majority of my personal statement highlighted my strengths, and how well-matched my interests were to each program.

After the 2nd round of rejections, then being waitlisted at multiple places (WTF!? I wasn't good enough for outright acceptance?) and offers that I second-guessed (non-funded programs), I had a heart-to-heart with my brother who was actively convincing me to go to Law School (b/c he's a trial attorney and thought I would be good at it also). He asked me if I was being realistic in applying a third time (like, "aren't those programs telling you something pretty obvious?!?"‎) That hurt and was a blow to the ego, but I was like, "Hell, NO! I'm qualified...just did poorly in the interview, made a type-o in a cover letter (wrong program name), there were applicants who were better-received this round, etc. etc. - all my justifications for feeling I was qualified. I also remember feeling like if I don't have anything, I have nothing to lose. Then, I got on the phone, sent emails to training directors, and proactively, politely and professionally put myself out there to say 'I was not accepted this round, but I was impressed with your program and you WILL see me again.'

This type of resilience serves you well because in grad school the evaluation continues year after year with committee approvals, practicum, internship and post-doc placements.

All I can say is decide if you realistically can achieve your goal, don't dwell on time/money spent (they were dress-rehearsals), and push forward. Otherwise, Plan B is always an option (and mine was to apply to an independent training program that would've qualified me to be licensed-masters level psychotherapist in my state with my general psych MA that I already had). But even my Plan B goal convinced me that I really wanted to be clinician...so I was ready to go at it again....then my offer came in May of that year. Freaky anecdote, but encouragement nonetheless. ;)

This is my THIRD time applying. I applied during my undergraduate, did not get in. I wasn't that upset about rejections that time as I had offers from all of the master's programs I applied to. Instead of taking a year of two off, I opted to join one of those master's programs. During that time, I retook the GRE, sought out extra research and teaching opportunities, and reapplied during my second year of masters programs (to 11 programs). I did not get a single interview last year. This year,after graduating in May of 2014, I joined a research team, hired a tutor to raise my GRE scores (and I did), and I gained some clinical experience with my master's. This year out of 19 programs, I got 4 interviews. Two of those interviews resulted in a low-ranked alternate letter. This is why I'm losing hope.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
...At some point (hopefully), we all end up learning our upper and lower thresholds for pain and pleasure...and how much more (or less) we're willing to take on.

Acceptance/Recognition (of what the issues/problem may be) is half the struggle. Once you figure out what's up, you have a better idea of which direction to go.

Reactions: 1 users
I was wait-listed at my top program, but my poi has been in contact since. She initially asked the status of my admissions decision and I told her I had not heard anything from them but would definitely accept if offered admission. She confirmed that I was wait-listed and said she would keep in touch. Now a few weeks later she emailed me again and asked if I was still interested or if I am considering other offers and said that she believes there is a slot for me... While positive, this in my mind is not definitive and not even really an informal offer. It's like a scope out before the offer. Like "if I ask you out will you say yes." I would like to believe that this will really work out considering she keeps scoping me out... But I'm kind of unsure how to proceed.

Would a simple "I have not accepted any offers yet and am still interested in your lab. I would be delighted to receive an offer!" suffice? Should I say something more definitive as in the program is my #1 choice and I'm waiting for them before I make a move anywhere else? <- I feel I have somewhat stated that by saying previously that I would definitely accept. I get that schools don't want to waste time and effort if the person will just turn them down and no one wants to extend 20+ offers for a class of 7, but I'm just a bit confused and not exactly sure what she is looking for me to say before even extending an informal offer.

This communication is indeed a bit strange, but it could be that your POI really wants to accept you but is trying to get an understanding how you feel about them. Some schools worry a lot about their yield rate. I would say that if this is definitely your top choice program, don't be afraid to say so in the email (hence,
"the program is my #1 choice and I'm waiting for them before I make a move anywhere else" would be appropriate). If you are sure that you want to go there above all other programs, don't be afraid to show enthusiasm. But definitely wait until you get an official offer before replying to any other programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wait-listed at my top program, but my poi has been in contact since. She initially asked the status of my admissions decision and I told her I had not heard anything from them but would definitely accept if offered admission. She confirmed that I was wait-listed and said she would keep in touch. Now a few weeks later she emailed me again and asked if I was still interested or if I am considering other offers and said that she believes there is a slot for me... While positive, this in my mind is not definitive and not even really an informal offer. It's like a scope out before the offer. Like "if I ask you out will you say yes." I would like to believe that this will really work out considering she keeps scoping me out... But I'm kind of unsure how to proceed.

Would a simple "I have not accepted any offers yet and am still interested in your lab. I would be delighted to receive an offer!" suffice? Should I say something more definitive as in the program is my #1 choice and I'm waiting for them before I make a move anywhere else? <- I feel I have somewhat stated that by saying previously that I would definitely accept. I get that schools don't want to waste time and effort if the person will just turn them down and no one wants to extend 20+ offers for a class of 7, but I'm just a bit confused and not exactly sure what she is looking for me to say before even extending an informal offer.

Yes-I think being honest is good, either you would be delighted to receive an offer, or stating they are your top choice and you would plan to accept should an official offer be extended.
In terms of what they are looking for/why she reached out: I had a similar conversation with two schools. School A was trying to figure out if there was extra funding for an additional student in the lab, in which case it would go to me, and School B extended an offer to someone else but believes that student may turn down the offer in which case it would go to me. School A, I believe the point of that conversation was to figure out if it was worth the time and effort to scrape up funding and also to keep me in the loop. I replied that I appreciated that and looked forward to hearing from them definitively. School B had this conversation with me to keep me in the loop and inquire if I would *Definitely* accept their offer should it come by way. The point of that conversation is they went ahead and released the wait list after I agreed I would accept that offer - should it come my way- so at least the other students were not in wait-list purgatory as well... just me :) lol

Wow, this thread is actually making me feel less optimistic. :/

Reject from U Oregon and Washington State for counseling PhD, no interview. I interviewed at Pacific U PsyD and it went extremely well and I'm hopeful. I also have a Portland State Interview (MS) tomorrow.

My Pacific U interviewer loved me and said I had "a maturity she wasn't used to seeing" and that I obviously had my stuff together. After the interview, she wrote me saying I'm "clearly highly qualified and the program would be lucky to have me." An inside source said that this particular instructor doesn't use words like that lightly and if she said that, I'm definitely in.... But I am a worrier until I sign on that dotted line.

If I don't get in this round, I don't think I'll reapply to psych programs. I think I'll spend the year taking pre-reqs and going into another field. Maybe just getting an MBA and making my way in the corporate world or healthcare administration. Chemistry was always my HS sweetheart... maybe computer science. My friend makes 6-figures, at start ups with just a HS diploma. She's never had trouble finding 6-figure jobs. I can't say I'm not jealous. I wouldn't mind a piece of that.

Rejected today from City College post-interview via an impersonal email, still awaiting my other inevitable rejection. Sigh.

So I was informed exactly a week ago by the DCT of my top choice that I was placed on the wait-list but that I am rather high on it. I emailed him back saying the program was still my top choice for several reasons but mainly because my research interests are aligned with that of my POI. While my POI was cc'ed in those emails, I never really emailed her directly. I really would like to maintain contact with her throughout this waiting process because she would be able to give me a better idea of what my chances are..I am also considering reapplying to work with her next year in case this does not work out so emailing her may help me establish a relationship with her and improve my chances next year. What are your thoughts? How long should I wait before I email her? Your advice and opinions are very much needed!

How long are people typically holding acceptances for? I'm first in line for a school, and I know that person has had the offer for over two weeks. Pretty frustrating!!!!

How long are people typically holding acceptances for? I'm first in line for a school, and I know that person has had the offer for over two weeks. Pretty frustrating!!!!

I've held on to 1 offer for a few weeks bc I'm top alternate at my #1 school - I told my boyfriend that I hope the person with an offer from my #1 school isn't holding out for a spot at the school that I already have an offer from. Could you imagine?!

My PI at the school that offered me a spot sent me an email checking in last week, but there wasn't a lot of pressure. He said that he knew this process was difficult and that I definitely still have until 4/15 to make my final decision. All schools have reminded me to not hold more than one offer at once, but so far that hasn't been an issue lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I finally decided to email my POI at University of South Florida and ask about my status after not hearing from the POI or anyone else for a month. Just got notice of my rejection. So frustrating. Why can't they just tell you when they know?

I commiserate with everyone here. This is my 2nd time applying and I feel like it's a losing game and like I'm letting all my mentors down. They all keep telling me "you have to keep applying; this is what you're meant to do" and how I'm always at the top of my class etc.. And deep down I KNOW this is what I'm meant to do and that I'm freaking excellent at it. By saying I was at the top of my Master's class I'm not by any means suggesting my classmates were not qualified. Rather, they were all very good and I thrived in that situation SO much that it totally confirmed "hey, this is what you're supposed to do with your life."

I still have one program I am waiting for a final decision from. I got an email (in response to my thank-you note, which I sent 1.5 weeks prior immediately after the interview) last Monday (3/2) from my POI there telling me that they still had administrative hoops to jump through before they could make offers, and the email also said "I hope you remain interested in our program" so part of me really wants to take that as a sign that I've got a good chance, but now I'm so disenchanted I don't know what to think.

Most of this comes from feeling like what the FFFF am I doing wrong? How do I get interviews and never even so much as a waitlist? How can very smart people tell me I'm so super qualified but then I can't get anywhere with it?

Ugh. Rant over.

Reactions: 2 users
I was also Wait listed here, Renk emailed me saying I was a high ranking alternative but I have heard absolutely nothing from my POI so who knows, I do not have high hopes
I am in the same situation. Have you tried reaching out to your POI?

I got waitlisted at Yeshiva for the clinical psych psyd program. Does anyone know how good my chances are of getting accepted off of the waitlist there? I can't find anything online :/

Any input will help. Good luck everyone!

The other day I learned on TGC that someone had accepted an offer to work with the POI that I had interviewed with. They were offered a fellowship, which, would be a different funding source than what I would receive given my GRE / GPA scores. The program is for a clinical psychology phd and is the only school I was invited to interview. The last news I received was an email from the DCT three weeks ago. It said I am among a "very select few" placed at "the top tier of a wait-list" and that they had extended the first round of fellowship offers and "hope to make more offers based on those responses". The email said it would let me know as soon as possible whether they can extend a funded offer to me. From what I know there are three sources of funding (graduate assistant-ship, teaching assistant-ships, and fellowships).

I am wondering if anyone has some insight into whether this recent news means that I should expect to be rejected or that I may still have a chance?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Took over a month and a half post-interview to get my first rejection, now it's been over a month since my other interview. Contacted POI and have heard nothing. I'm assuming I'm rejected since acceptance and waitlist notifications went out weeks ago but I'm wondering why they can't just tell me. I was confident my interviews went well, got positive feedback during them on my research/academic background and even got praise on my letters of rec. One also interviewed me for a scholarship they thought I was a candidate for. So, mixed signals or maybe I didn't read them accurately.
I am beginning to feel very defeated like some of you in this thread. I'm starting to wish I had found this forum before I enrolled in a masters program to prepare for the crapshoot that is this application process. I gave up my job and salary, depleted my savings and spent years preparing to apply by getting my masters, completing a research thesis,volunteering to get clinical experiences, traveling to present my research at conferences, taking GRE courses. I'm not sure what else I can do in 8 months to make myself more competitive, except hope my article gets published and that I just have better luck this time. What are the rest of you planning on doing? This was my first attempt at a career change. I still want to get my doctorate...maybe will expand to counseling and clinical programs this time...although part of me would like to give up and take any job with a decent salary I can get and just forego these aspirations. But maybe that's just my self-pity and defeat talking. Okay, E-pity party over.

I am beginning to feel very defeated like some of you in this thread. I'm starting to wish I had found this forum before I enrolled in a masters program to prepare for the crapshoot that is this application process. I gave up my job and salary, depleted my savings and spent years preparing to apply by getting my masters, completing a research thesis,volunteering to get clinical experiences, traveling to present my research at conferences, taking GRE courses. I'm not sure what else I can do in 8 months to make myself more competitive, except hope my article gets published and that I just have better luck this time. What are the rest of you planning on doing? This was my first attempt at a career change. I still want to get my doctorate...maybe will expand to counseling and clinical programs this time...although part of me would like to give up and take any job with a decent salary I can get and just forego these aspirations.

(*Big Hugs*) I'm feeling very defeated, discouraged, and demoralized from this broken application process as well. As far as my "Plan B" goes, I'm trying to apply for full-time psychology Research Assistant jobs, but I'm not very confident after hearing how difficult it is to obtain one without "knowing the right people." If you need to talk to someone, please don't hesitate to message me!

(*Big Hugs*) I'm feeling very defeated, discouraged, and demoralized from this broken application process as well. As far as my "Plan B" goes, I'm trying to apply for full-time psychology Research Assistant jobs, but I'm not very confident after hearing how difficult it is to obtain one without "knowing the right people." If you need to talk to someone, please don't hesitate to message me!

I have briefly looked for those jobs as well but feel somewhat unqualified for them...maybe a volunteer position in a lab would be more attainable. It definitely pays to be resilient during processes like these, and I'm learning that I'm not as resilient as I'd like to be. On that note, here is an uplifting video on famous failures, starring a focus of this thread: rejection!

:( Guys hang in there. :(

I'm still on the waitlist at my #1. My professor told me that there are 2 students in my concentration who haven't made a decision yet in, and that if either of them decline then I'm 'next on the list' & 'guaranteed a spot'. I keep telling myself that no news is good news, but haven't most offers gone out by now? I can't get mad because I'm basically doing the exact same thing by holding onto an offer at my #2 school. Are the two weeks between 4/1 & 4/15 when waitlists usually get cleared out?

Another wait list email.

Universitiy of Detrioit Mercy.

Asked for my position on the list and have not gotten a response.

I keep telling myself that no news is good news, but haven't most offers gone out by now? I can't get mad because I'm basically doing the exact same thing by holding onto an offer at my #2 school. Are the two weeks between 4/1 & 4/15 when waitlists usually get cleared out?

Most if not all initial offers have gone out, but it can take a while for people to find out information and make decisions. In most cases things get resolved before the last week or two, but it can certainly come down to that.

Think about this. Receiving an acceptance from a program indicates your credentials were a good fit; not only were you qualified, but you stood out from the pack of other applicants. Naturally, as you move up in program quality, you will stand out less and less from the other applicants. What this means is that a good number (I'm not going to say a majority, because I have no numbers, but definitely a fair amount) of people who receive initial offers are additionally going to be put on a wait-list at an institution that is just a bit more desirable.

This results in a big group of people holding offers and waiting for others to make decisions; there is a natural line that forms, and you just have to wait it out.

I'm still on the waitlist at my #1. My professor told me that there are 2 students in my concentration who haven't made a decision yet in, and that if either of them decline then I'm 'next on the list' & 'guaranteed a spot'. I keep telling myself that no news is good news, but haven't most offers gone out by now? I can't get mad because I'm basically doing the exact same thing by holding onto an offer at my #2 school. Are the two weeks between 4/1 & 4/15 when waitlists usually get cleared out?

Last edited:
I'm in the exact same position, only I know the person I am waiting on has another offer, and isn't on a waitlist somewhere. So once that person decides (It's been like 3 weeks!!) I can decide, and then someone else will get off the waitlist and the dominos will continue to fall. Until then it's just a standstill. Little frustrating that person is holding on to two offers but what can ya do.

I keep telling myself that it all be decided one way or another in three weeks!

I am not sure if my contribution here will help or not, as a DCT I am a bit out of place in this thread, but I thought I would stop by and say a few words in case it is helpful.

For what it is worth, more than half of the offers we originally gave are still out there, so we are playing the waiting game as well. Likewise, we have several people on our waiting list. Having spoken to several other DCTs, this is pretty common this year, it seems that a lot of students are holding on to offers later in the game. I am expecting (hoping) it to wind down quickly in early April. Once the dominoes start to fall one would think it should go pretty fast.

One of the hardest things about this process, and I know many of you know this cognitively but you may not believe it, is that a lot of factors outside of your control go into these decisions. Here are just a few of the factors at our institution:
1. Junior faculty, especially very new faculty, typically have higher priority
2. Lab size, including how close students are to internship, is important as we try to balance students across labs
3. Recent grants, or grants that we think are likely to hit, play a role as a faculty member may need extra students to run the project
4. Whether or not a student can teach (i.e. has at least 18 psych graduate credits) can sometimes play a role depending on the year and how our funding looks
5. We don't receive our funding commitment from the dean for another couple months, so we are a bit conservative, especially at first, with offers because it isn't clear how many students we will actually have money for in our budget

Notice all of these factors are outside of your control. We haven't even touched how strong the competition is, fit with the faculty member, etc. I don't know if this will help or not, but I can tell you that there are students that gave me heardache to reject and/or waitlist because I know they are good students, and would be great psychologists. However, that professor's lab may be full, or another professor may be at higher priority that year. I can tell you there are some faculty members at my institution, including myself, that have sat on the sideline and not offered any students because other faculty members are at higher priority. In a way, we are on the waitlist as well as to whether or not we can offer our top students, and we are just hoping and praying they will still be there!

So why am I posting? I am posting to give hope. I know several of you have been through this process more than once, and likely some of you are waiting for my institution. Don't give up hope! There is still a lot of dust to settle before all is said and done on this process. Also, if it doesn't happen this year, don't give up hope! Try again, even if it is applying to the same programs. The faculty member you were interested in may have been low priority this year, but will be high priority next year. Thus, it is worth trying again, because the factors at play will be different and what kept you out one time may be what gets you in the next time.

I hope that helps some. Best of luck to all of you with this crazy process!

Reactions: 17 users
I am noticing that mass rejections are going out for a clinical program that I haven't heard anything from a couple days ago. Is this some cruel joke or are they just taking their time?

I was rejected outright from all the PhDs I applied to. I just got waitlisted for a masters program that I felt like I connected really well with my POI at and I would adore doing research with her. I can't help but wonder if I shot myself in the foot because I had to settle for phone interviews in the darkness of the cost of plane tickets. It's hitting me hard, but I feel better reading this thread.

Rejected from University of Alaska. I have now heard from 4/4 schools and have no acceptances for the third year. This process sucks.

PsyD programs only: Rejected pre-interview from Widener and Ind State. Rejected post-interview from IUP and UIndy. Did interview at Yeshiva and Roosevelt and haven't heard anything, but acceptances have gone out. Haven't heard anything at all from PGSP regarding an interview offer or rejection.
What were your stats and experience?

I was rejected outright from all the PhDs I applied to. I just got waitlisted for a masters program that I felt like I connected really well with my POI at and I would adore doing research with her. I can't help but wonder if I shot myself in the foot because I had to settle for phone interviews in the darkness of the cost of plane tickets. It's hitting me hard, but I feel better reading this thread.

Sorry to hear that :( what a crappy process this is. It would almost be easier if you interviewed and felt like it wasn't a good fit. I also felt like my in-person interviews both went really well and that I connected with the interviewers. Thought my experience and research background made me a great fit for one lab, and I was really excited about the program which made not hearing anything from them really disappointing. My own research supervisor and professor was very surprised I didn't get more interviews or any acceptances, although he has seen excellent students get rejected before so maybe in part you have to get lucky. Lots of factors at play as someone in the thread mentioned earlier.

It also seems like I won't be getting any feedback from either professor I interviewed with, I tried and got one refusal to provide feedback, and one did not respond. That makes me feel somewhat lost about what to do before I reapply in the fall. If my interviews went as well as I thought they did, then what was it? Was I low on the list to begin with? I guess someone else's interview went better. What are you plans before reapplying, if you are going to reapply?

Sorry to hear that :( what a crappy process this is. It would almost be easier if you interviewed and felt like it wasn't a good fit. I also felt like my in-person interviews both went really well and that I connected with the interviewers. Thought my experience and research background made me a great fit for one lab, and I was really excited about the program which made not hearing anything from them really disappointing. My own research supervisor and professor was very surprised I didn't get more interviews or any acceptances, although he has seen excellent students get rejected before so maybe in part you have to get lucky. Lots of factors at play as someone in the thread mentioned earlier.

It also seems like I won't be getting any feedback from either professor I interviewed with, I tried and got one refusal to provide feedback, and one did not respond. That makes me feel somewhat lost about what to do before I reapply in the fall. If my interviews went as well as I thought they did, then what was it? Was I low on the list to begin with? I guess someone else's interview went better. What are you plans before reapplying, if you are going to reapply?

I'm sorry, that's a sucky situation. It's such a tricky process. There are so many factors in play--qualifications, fit, funding, luck--that it's impossible to know what went wrong and if there's anything at all that can be done about it. There might have been someone else interviewing that had some different experience or quality that made them a better fit for the lab.

As of now, I definitely intend on applying again next cycle (assuming I don't get in). I know I'm going to study like crazy for the GRE and retake it. I might see if I can get some kind of research position at a nearby university, even if it's not paid, so I can get more research experience. I've been a research assistant for two years already, but unfortunately it's not in the area that I want to actually research in. Options are limited there, though. I'm not sure what else there is I could do except try to find a job so I can save up to apply again.

I'm sorry, that's a sucky situation. It's such a tricky process. There are so many factors in play--qualifications, fit, funding, luck--that it's impossible to know what went wrong and if there's anything at all that can be done about it. There might have been someone else interviewing that had some different experience or quality that made them a better fit for the lab.

As of now, I definitely intend on applying again next cycle (assuming I don't get in). I know I'm going to study like crazy for the GRE and retake it. I might see if I can get some kind of research position at a nearby university, even if it's not paid, so I can get more research experience. I've been a research assistant for two years already, but unfortunately it's not in the area that I want to actually research in. Options are limited there, though. I'm not sure what else there is I could do except try to find a job so I can save up to apply again.

I am also looking to get more research experience. It's definitely not an easy task. Many of the jobs I've seen require 2 year commitments and I'm not too keen on waiting 2 years to reapply....I'm not getting any younger and would just like to get started already...hopefully I can find somewhere to volunteer my time instead. Since I only have qualitative experience, maybe that was a factor in their decisions although no one made it seem like it was. In your case then that would be great to work under that POI in the masters program in your area of interest. I'll cross my fingers for you. Good luck!

I am also looking to get more research experience. It's definitely not an easy task. Many of the jobs I've seen require 2 year commitments and I'm not too keen on waiting 2 years to reapply....I'm not getting any younger and would just like to get started already...hopefully I can find somewhere to volunteer my time instead. Since I only have qualitative experience, maybe that was a factor in their decisions although no one made it seem like it was. In your case then that would be great to work under that POI in the masters program in your area of interest. I'll cross my fingers for you. Good luck!

Two years definitely seems like a long time to have to wait to reapply. I also recently found out that a major research university that's within relatively easy driving distance rarely even allows its own undergraduates to help with research, so that's probably going to be another strike. Thank you!

Being on the waitlist is SO FRUSTRATING. I'm #2 on the list at Widener, my top choice school. I found on via postal mail on March 14th but honestly it feels like I've been waiting for months. I'm praying that after this week when all the decisions are out people can start committing to places. I want to go to this program so badly, everything felt right when I was there, and it sucks having to wait.

But at the same time, I'm grateful I got into my safety school. It breaks my heart seeing everyone on here who didn't get in anywhere :(

Reactions: 4 users
Fingers crossed for everyone still waiting!

Got rejected from NYU. Still waiting to hear back from Columbia's counseling program...

Hanging on to my top choice by a thread. Why isn't there a better way to do this?!

I'm also waitlisted at Ferkauf for admission into their PsyD program.
I applied to five programs, got three interviews and two waitlisted.
You are right, whoever said it: this has got to be the most depressing thread on this forum!
Lol!

I'm also waitlisted at Ferkauf for admission into their PsyD program.
I applied to five programs, got three interviews and two waitlisted.
You are right, whoever said it: this has got to be the most depressing thread on this forum!
Lol!
Sounds like something I'd say. lol. Hang in there guys.

Anyone get any updates on their wait list status at Ferkauf?

I am also waiting to hear from them. I got in to another program off the waitlist, but I prefer the PsyD program.

I called them, they said they are at capacity for the upcoming year and that everyone left on the wait list will get a letter within the next few days basically getting rejected.

I called them, they said they are at capacity for the upcoming year and that everyone left on the wait list will get a letter within the next few days basically getting rejected.
k, thanks for letting us know.

I was wait-listed at U-Minnesota's Institute of Child Development (PhD in Child Clinical, DPCS track). There are only 3 or 4 spots per year so I'm surprised to have even made it this far. It's my no.1 choice so this is kind of a bummer, but I'm just frustrated because I was rejected outright at schools that are substantially easier to get into (and that's even factoring into account the level of fit I have at other schools).

Minnesota admits based on a community mentorship model, so I don't even have a P.O.I. that I can contact to keep my finger on the pulse of accepted offers. Does anyone have any experience with Minnesota's admissions? I want to know if I have any chance at getting in off the waitlist. Their website isn't doing me any favors either.

However, I was told to call the department before I commit to any other program. Does anyone know why this would be this case? Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but it seems like they want to convince me not to commit elsewhere (and not that they just want to know if their waitlist'd folks are still available).

Ahh, I love the program so much and just want to go! Don't all these people realize I would do anything for them! hahaha