Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Related Courses

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by OTaplcnt12, 04.01.12.

1. OTaplcnt12

OTaplcnt12

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am looking for some advice on what courses to take in an attempt to improve my GPA.

I applied this year, but have received only rejections so far. My overall GPA was just below a 3.3, and my pre-requisite GPA was much higher, but included 2 B's (Anatomy & Physiology). I thought that taking other related courses in an attempt to raise my overall GPA would improve my application, but am unsure which courses would be most relatable.

I was looking at taking additional psycholgoy courses (Health Psychology, Psychology of Individual Differences, etc.) at a local university, but thought some of you may have better suggestions. Also, would re-taking Anatomy and Physiology be a better alternative to start with?

Thank you in advance for any information you all are willing to share!

2. 2bOT

2bOT

Rehab Sci Student
    A lot of schools have Abnormal Psych and Human Development/Developmental Psych as a pre-req, so if you haven't already taken those I would recommend them as the material is fairly easy/straight-forward and well related to OT. Other courses I wish I would have taken that are fairly relative are Disabilities Studies and Psychology of Older Adults.

As for re-taking A&P - my advice would be only do so if you can guarantee you will get As. B's are not bad grades - A&P are the toughest of the pre-reqs - you're definitely going to be up against applicants w/ 4.0 pre-req GPAs. Personally, I think it would be better to apply with B's in A&P than to re-take them and get the same grade or only get a B+ or something. Good luck!

3. lbsubstylee

lbsubstylee

Apply early and apply to schools that don't receive as many applicants! Those would be my biggest words of advice. Your stats don't seem too bad... of course you need to factor in GREs (potentially), extra curriculars, observation hours, real-world experience, etc.

I would take A and P again just to refresh yourself and strive to receive an A. This will not only get you a better grade and better chance for grad. school, but you will LEARN more.

4. affa

affa

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you haven't done so already perhaps a better way to learn what you could do to improve your application is to talk to the schools that rejected you this year. I think all of the schools that rejected me offered to talk to me later to help me understand what I could do to improve my application. It would be a shame if you worked on your GPA and all that schools were hoping to see more of was a variety of volunteer hours or more meaningful letters of rec or something else unrelated to GPA.

5. DiggaDigga

DiggaDigga

Your GPA is not bad and it probably isn't the reason you didn't get in

How many volunteer hours do you have? Are your essays decent? What about your letters of rec? I think volunteering at an OT place where you can get a strong letter of rec (treat it as a class and go at least 6 hours a week) is probably the best thing you can do for your application.

Also, where did you apply? Maybe adjust your expectations and apply to lower tiered schools.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal