Relationship Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:thumbup:

The worst are the ones that sit next to each other every day and partner up for all labs. And then go home to see each other at the end of the day. I think I would turn homicidal very quickly :laugh:

Might be slightly guilty of this. Although we are capable of doing things separately.

Members don't see this ad.

I've not been in one, but I see HEAPS. Lots of them worked out, lots of them didn't, some people stayed friends other people flung mud at each other all over the vet school. Lots of vets I work with are married to other vets. Two of my good friends have had the most hideous, prolonged, complicated breakup thats been going on for the last year and honestly, I just can't wait for them to graduate and not see each other all the time!!! :oops:

I think its kind of like dating in highschool. Expect that people will do it, expect some of it to be sickening, some of it to go well, some of it to hit the fan. And expect everyone to know everything ;)

I always said I was not going to date anyone in vet school, and I haven't. I'm so glad :p

We just had 2 people get engaged last night. Very happy for them, they are adorable. :love: The girl is a sophomore and the guy is in my class (freshman).

Anyway, just out of curiosity and complete boredom while I wait to go eat yummy mexican noms...
Do you celebrate anniversaries with your SO if you aren't married?
I never have but I know a lot of people who do so I'm just curious. My SO and I know that we got together the beginning of March 2008, but we don't have an exact date every year that we remember or celebrate.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, never have. I always make a joke about it on the day, "Do you know what today is?!?! :love:" and he rolls his eyes and we laugh. Not sure if it'll change when we're married either- I wouldn't care either way.

I legitimately don't even know the day we got together. Just know it was the beginning of March :oops:. Once we get married I think we will just as an excuse to eat a fancy dinner or something ;). But we also don't do Valentine's day or anything. Our first valentines day together I straight up told him to not do anything bc I truly don't care. He got me 2 dozen long stem roses and chocolates because he thought I was just saying that and would get mad at him if I didn't get anything :laugh:. He found out quickly that I meant what I said. Sometimes we'll go out to eat the night before or the night after since the crowds are smaller :D. Not a big stickler for all that jazz I guess :shrug:

We just had 2 people get engaged last night. Very happy for them, they are adorable. :love: The girl is a sophomore and the guy is in my class (freshman).

Anyway, just out of curiosity and complete boredom while I wait to go eat yummy mexican noms...
I never have but I know a lot of people who do so I'm just curious. My SO and I know that we got together the beginning of March 2008, but we don't have an exact date every year that we remember or celebrate.

My gf and I don't really. We don't have a date either but we would probably go out to dinner or something around then. Not a big deal :)

I definitely celebrate with my boyfriend. :D Our anniversary is Halloween, although he usually remembers it as our school's Halloween dance since it was right after that that we became officially a couple. That and Valentine's Day are the two times that I'm guaranteed to get a date, so I definitely look forward to them. :love: (yes, I may be slightly a sappy romantic. I apologize for nothing).

My bf took me out to eat every month on the day we became official for the first year. Now we just will celebrate years, and it just so happens my birthday falls on the half year mark.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

My husband and I don't celebrate the date we started dating, but we definitely celebrate our wedding anniversary. But yeah, it's mostly an excuse to go out to a nice dinner we can't afford once a year :D

My husband and I don't celebrate the date we started dating, but we definitely celebrate our wedding anniversary. But yeah, it's mostly an excuse to go out to a nice dinner we can't afford once a year :D

We'll probably drop the 'dating' thing eventually, but since that was four years, it's still pretty significant. So is this March our 6 year anniversary, or our 10 year? I'mma go with 10 for now. That ish counts.

My bf and I celebrate our anniversary (which happens to be on Guy Fawkes Day), usually just by going out to a nice restaurant. :)

We went out to dinner for our 1 year of officially dating. haha

But there'll be a huge party when he gets back to the US. That one will be celebrated. :D

Members don't see this ad :)

Yep. When I am home or he is here, we go out to dinner or he pulls off something really sweet and romantic.

My husband and I have celebrated our dating anniversary in the past. It was kind of a big thing to make it 1 year when we were in high school, and it's just been something we've always done. It's also only 3 days after his birthday so we usually lump the two together. We've only been married 5 and a half months, so we haven't gotten to celebrate that yet. We'll probably end up doing something for both since they're six months apart. I mean this year will be seven years together. It's kind of a big deal. :p

My dad is currently teasing/half seriously bantering my boyfriend on Facebook about why I still have to call him my BF after five years :laugh:

The bf's old boss finished filling out the paperwork and will be filing it in the next few days or possibly has already this week. Hopefully they'll be accepted and he might be back before Christmas. That'd be better than any presents I could get. (besides a horse of course. :p)

:love:

My dad is currently teasing/half seriously bantering my boyfriend on Facebook about why I still have to call him my BF after five years :laugh:

Something that international students found interesting over here is that when you are in a serious adult relationship in Aus, you tend to stop calling them your boyfriend and start calling them your "partner". So if you introduced someone as your partner it would indicate that you were in a serious relationship with this person, co-habiting etc. However, I believe that is not the case in the US.

One of my classmates actually thought my partner was a girl for a bit, because she didn't understand that heterosexual partners here use the term as well. :laugh:

I know it's just the beginning, but so far I'm handling this deployment very well. I'm surprised actually. I haven't cried since the day after he left when I got to hear his voice for the first time lol So far it just feels like before he left.. Except now he is 7000 miles away instead of 1000 :rolleyes: . I'm so thankful for Modern technology!! :love:

I know it's just the beginning, but so far I'm handling this deployment very well. I'm surprised actually. I haven't cried since the day after he left when I got to hear his voice for the first time lol So far it just feels like before he left.. Except now he is 7000 miles away instead of 1000 :rolleyes: . I'm so thankful for Modern technology!! :love:

For sure!! You will definitely have terrible days, but you get over them and move on. Glad to hear you're doing well :love:

Aw Em your so supportive, your awesome :love: :D

:oops: I know how it feels. And when he was in Iraq there was no skyping, maybe two phone calls a month, and no mail bc their mail trucks were constantly blown up. It can be so tough but when your relationship is strong and meant to be, it only brings you closer in the end. For now, just be a proud army fiancé and know you are both thanked for your sacrifices. :love:

Something that international students found interesting over here is that when you are in a serious adult relationship in Aus, you tend to stop calling them your boyfriend and start calling them your "partner". So if you introduced someone as your partner it would indicate that you were in a serious relationship with this person, co-habiting etc. However, I believe that is not the case in the US.

One of my classmates actually thought my partner was a girl for a bit, because she didn't understand that heterosexual partners here use the term as well. :laugh:

Yeah, we seem to just do boyfriend/girlfriend, fiance/fiancee, and then husband/wife or spouse. Partner is either a same-sex thing (not that it should be, they should be husbands and wives just the same, huh) or maybe a term used by a long-term couple that doesn't plan to marry.

:oops: I know how it feels. And when he was in Iraq there was no skyping, maybe two phone calls a month, and no mail bc their mail trucks were constantly blown up. It can be so tough but when your relationship is strong and meant to be, it only brings you closer in the end. For now, just be a proud army fiancé and know you are both thanked for your sacrifices. :love:

I was talking to someone about this today. My brother in law was in Iraq and I remember my sister only getting a couple phone calls here and there.. He was part of the initial surge after 9/11 so there werent camps or FOBs set up.. They lived in abandoned buildings and he stayed in a palace one night lol. FB and Skype weren't around.. It's amazing how things change! And thanks for the thanks lol it's totally worth it to get him for the rest of my life :D :love:

I was talking to someone about this today. My brother in law was in Iraq and I remember my sister only getting a couple phone calls here and there.. He was part of the initial surge after 9/11 so there werent camps or FOBs set up.. They lived in abandoned buildings and he stayed in a palace one night lol. FB and Skype weren't around.. It's amazing how things change! And thanks for the thanks lol it's totally worth it to get him for the rest of my life :D :love:

Is this your first deployment? I remember my first being tough but when he comes home I forget about the rough days. I think being apart only makes our relationship stronger and makes us both appreciate our time together. Being a military wife is great, I wouldn't want it any other way! :)

Is this your first deployment? I remember my first being tough but when he comes home I forget about the rough days. I think being apart only makes our relationship stronger and makes us both appreciate our time together. Being a military wife is great, I wouldn't want it any other way! :)

Yep, 1st deployment. We were in a long distance relationship for 1yr & 7 months so I think that helps me soo much. I'm sadly used to being alone :( but it has made me so much stronger and more emotionally prepared for this. I can't wait until he gets home so that we can get married :) :love:

Yep, 1st deployment. We were in a long distance relationship for 1yr & 7 months so I think that helps me soo much. I'm sadly used to being alone :( but it has made me so much stronger and more emotionally prepared for this. I can't wait until he gets home so that we can get married :) :love:

I can't even imagine doing a long distance relationship so you totally have deployment in the bag! When he's away I am comforted by seeing his clothes and his things around the house ... Reminds me he's not gone forever and I feel like we still live together. I actually sleep in his shirts while he's away (but shhh don't tell him that). I tell him I miss him and love him whenever we talk but I keep any sad emotions to myself. I don't want him to worry about me when he's over there and has a job to do!

And yay for getting married! We just went down to the courthouse and got legally married but haven't had our wedding yet. I actually just picked up my dress (alterations are done!) and we're having a super low key ceremony and party next summer. We didn't think it would be worth it to have a full blown wedding at 20k!!

Js, but I sleep in my guy's shirts too. :laugh: And some of his hats and buttoned up shirts are still hanging over my chair, the bed frame, etc. Just helps to see it there.

Js, but I sleep in my guy's shirts too. :laugh: And some of his hats and buttoned up shirts are still hanging over my chair, the bed frame, etc. Just helps to see it there.

Tooootally!!!!

I can't even imagine doing a long distance relationship so you totally have deployment in the bag! When he's away I am comforted by seeing his clothes and his things around the house ... Reminds me he's not gone forever and I feel like we still live together. I actually sleep in his shirts while he's away (but shhh don't tell him that). I tell him I miss him and love him whenever we talk but I keep any sad emotions to myself. I don't want him to worry about me when he's over there and has a job to do!

And yay for getting married! We just went down to the courthouse and got legally married but haven't had our wedding yet. I actually just picked up my dress (alterations are done!) and we're having a super low key ceremony and party next summer. We didn't think it would be worth it to have a full blown wedding at 20k!!

We will most likely be doing that as well lol.. Either I get into vet school in the fall and we go to the courthouse where ever I am and have a small wedding later... Orr I get rejected from vet school and we have a small ceremony, get hitched and I move to NY with him and keep applying lol we've been together for almost 5 years so I'm ready to actually be in the same place as him lol

I would wear my bf's hoodies when I missed him (we've been LD occasionally, though we live together right now). The fact that they were huge on me and thus perfect for moping about the house in the evening was a bonus.:laugh:

I can't even imagine doing a long distance relationship so you totally have deployment in the bag! When he's away I am comforted by seeing his clothes and his things around the house ... Reminds me he's not gone forever and I feel like we still live together. I actually sleep in his shirts while he's away (but shhh don't tell him that)

I have like 5 of my guys shirts.. His comforter is on my bed, and he gave me his body pillow that is shaped/ dyed to look like a Salmon, his name is Mr. Fish lol until he comes home Mr Fish keeps his spot lol cheesy I know, but it's one of our things lol he loves that I sleep in his clothes lol

The funny thing about the label...I feel so weird calling him my fiance and not my boyfriend. It just sounds kind of cheesy and strange to me, not sure why!

We're in our second year of LD but get to see each other on winter break and summer break. Last year we Facetimed a lot but this year my internet connection is too shady so just phone :( Only four more weeks- I am SO ready to see him.

I'm a bit late to this, and a bit drunk, but I'll answer anyways! My SO isn't huge on anniversaries, but we usually celebrate them by going out to dinner and holding hands a lot. I think that you shouldn't need an excuse to go out and celebrate your relationship. However, I also love numbers, and hence love celebrating anniversaries and other quantifiable things.

I'm currently looking forward to our "we've put up with each other for 4 years", in January. :laugh:

I'm a bit late to this, and a bit drunk, but I'll answer anyways! My SO isn't huge on anniversaries, but we usually celebrate them by going out to dinner and holding hands a lot. I think that you shouldn't need an excuse to go out and celebrate your relationship. However, I also love numbers, and hence love celebrating anniversaries and other quantifiable things.

I'm currently looking forward to our "we've put up with each other for 4 years", in January. :laugh:

We're not big on celebrating anniversaries either. We usually just try to go to a nice dinner or do something we normally wouldn't ... on our last anniversary we split a giant, fresh baked, cinnamon roll. It's not something we would normally eat and it was so delicious, messy, and fun. For us, the simple things seem to be the best :p

I need help....I have been dating my boyfriend for over 2 and 1/2 years we met in undergrad but we graduated in May and have been long distance every since. Living 4 hours apart is hard but to me its worth it because I dont want to be with anyone else. Lately we have been both busy with our jobs but we were finally going to see each other this weekend...that is until he told me last night that he doesnt know if he can do this anymore..the distance is putting a toll on him...and if i get in school this year we will be looking at 5 years apart, I want to make it work and I thought he did too but now im devastated and just feel numb...help please :( :(

I need help....I have been dating my boyfriend for over 2 and 1/2 years we met in undergrad but we graduated in May and have been long distance every since. Living 4 hours apart is hard but to me its worth it because I dont want to be with anyone else. Lately we have been both busy with our jobs but we were finally going to see each other this weekend...that is until he told me last night that he doesnt know if he can do this anymore..the distance is putting a toll on him...and if i get in school this year we will be looking at 5 years apart, I want to make it work and I thought he did too but now im devastated and just feel numb...help please :( :(

I still think you should get together this weekend and at least talk about it. Unfortunately LDRs are hard enough when both people want to make it work, but pretty much impossible when one person doesn't want to put the effort in. I think he at least owes you an explanation of what about it exactly isn't working for him to see if it's something you can work on together or not. And then I would take it from there. I don't mean to sound blunt, but if you both aren't in it 100%, another 5 years is simply not going to happen. Hope you can at least get some sort of explanation and not be left hanging. Sorry this is happening :(

I still think you should get together this weekend and at least talk about it. Unfortunately LDRs are hard enough when both people want to make it work, but pretty much impossible when one person doesn't want to put the effort in. I think he at least owes you an explanation of what about it exactly isn't working for him to see if it's something you can work on together or not. And then I would take it from there. I don't mean to sound blunt, but if you both aren't in it 100%, another 5 years is simply not going to happen. Hope you can at least get some sort of explanation and not be left hanging. Sorry this is happening :(

Wanted to blame vet school for the end, but some things are not meant to be.

Unfortunately LDRs are hard enough when both people want to make it work, but pretty much impossible when one person doesn't want to put the effort in.

Absolutely spot-on.

I hate to sound so casual, but it's probably better to come to terms with the fact that he doesn't want to make it work now than to appease him somehow and just have the same problem down the road when you're even more invested :(

I would add that sticking with someone because there isn't anyone else you are currently interested in really isn't the best way to grow a relationship. He may feel that you are both stagnating and that was ok for a year or two, but five isn't viable.

Why are some people so ignorant about gifts? You've been dating me almost 5 years. No, I do not want a muzzleloader and new cold weather system hunting jacket! I live in FLORIDA and don't have time to hunt.
Just like I didn't want a damn camelbag, mosquito repellent belt holder, and random Nike flip flops last year.
I know I'm "one of the guys" but it's nice to be treated like your GIRLfriend every once in a while.
:boom:

Why are some people so ignorant about gifts? You've been dating me almost 5 years. No, I do not want a muzzleloader and new cold weather system hunting jacket! I live in FLORIDA and don't have time to hunt.
Just like I didn't want a damn camelbag, mosquito repellent belt holder, and random Nike flip flops last year.
I know I'm "one of the guys" but it's nice to be treated like your GIRLfriend every once in a while.

Haha, I'm with you on this one

Haha, I'm with you on this one

I would rather him just not get me anything. He's already paid for my plane ticket and a trip to Montreal in December, just make that my gift. Because the other random crap you throw in just means nothing to me. I don't need random CRAP just to make YOU feel better. Ugh. I love him, but damn. The longer we're together, the worse the gifts get. :annoyed:
And I'm so easy and not materialistic at all, but stop thinking about what YOU want and then just buying it for ME. Just leave it at my plane ticket and Montreal. That's MORE than enough! Silly boys.

You can send the hunting jacket to me. It is so cold in the lecture halls here.

I would rather him just not get me anything. He's already paid for my plane ticket and a trip to Montreal in December, just make that my gift. Because the other random crap you throw in just means nothing to me. I don't need random CRAP just to make YOU feel better. Ugh. I love him, but damn. The longer we're together, the worse the gifts get. :annoyed:
And I'm so easy and not materialistic at all, but stop thinking about what YOU want and then just buying it for ME. Just leave it at my plane ticket and Montreal. That's MORE than enough! Silly boys.

Montreal.. Very nice, maybe he has something nice planned... Like gettin down on one knee, and the lame gift ideas are to throw you off lol :laugh:

I'm wishful thinking for you!! :xf:

Montreal.. Very nice, maybe he has something nice planned... Like gettin down on one knee, and the lame gift ideas are to throw you off lol :laugh:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Ha! Yeah right. If the lame gifts were a new thing I might agree with you, but he just sucks at it plain and simple :laugh: Still love him like crazy though :D
Thanks ;)

May I have the muzzleloader? Haha :p

Haha my husband and I agree to not gift-give. Around our birthdays we pick something we really want then the other person "buys" it (which is dumb because it comes out of the same account either way). We try to go to a special dinner together as a celebration. It works out beautifully for us :)