Relatively Strong Applicant with few responses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daitong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I applied to nearly 30 schools with LizzyM of ~75. So far I have only heard back from four schools (completed primary by mid June, finished most secondaries by early August).

I thoroughly reviewed my application and though I may not have any spectacular, life-saving extracurricular, I still have solid ECs and don't believe I have any red flags. Granted most schools I applied to were top heavy, but many of my "safety" schools have not responded back.

Should I be worried?

Regards,

Members don't see this ad.

-eyeroll- It is mid-September. Get a grip. It takes time to review applications. Keeping up the neurotic mindset is a recipe for disaster. Go do something fun. pls

Reactions: 2 users
Where did you apply?

If you already think your list was "top heavy" then that's probably your main problem.

Also, this thread might be better for WAMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit: Just saw that you heard back from four schools. Were those rejections, holds, or IIs? If you received four IIs, then you have nothing to be worried about.

There are many other applicants, and it's still only September.

Some people haven't heard anything. 4 is good. Be content.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah it's still early, but if you applied to mostly top schools, you're going against the best of the best. Stats get your foot in the door, but you also need something to differentiate yourself if you want many interviews. Your 3.9/36 MCAT are good, but they do not guarantee an interview with top schools.

Hey guys, I applied to nearly 30 schools with LizzyM of ~75. So far I have only heard back from four schools (completed primary by mid June, finished most secondaries by early August).

I thoroughly reviewed my application and though I may not have any spectacular, life-saving extracurricular, I still have solid ECs and don't believe I have any red flags. Granted most schools I applied to were top heavy, but many of my "safety" schools have not responded back.

Should I be worried?

Regards,

Therein lies your problem.

On a more dreary note, top heavy + non-outstanding ECs are not a recipe for success.

On a more dreary note, top heavy + non-outstanding ECs are not a recipe for success.

I mean, while his EC's aren't life-saving, I wouldn't say that they're "non-outstanding". I thought he had a good strong app, overall. :(

I started throwing out applications in late august and ive only heard from 1 and im psyched. you heard from 4 so far... unless they're all rejections, you should be ecstatic (especially if their IIs).

2 IIs, 2 rejections heh...Wish they would just reject me outright.

I looked at your What are my Chances thread and I think you have a good chance to get into at least 1 school on your list, but some of your target schools and possible schools favor in-state applicants, so I wouldn't call them target schools.

The very top schools want great numbers (which you've got) and outstanding - read unique - ECs. How many/much of your ECs are cocktail party brag-worthy?

The lower- and mid-tier schools want great applicants who will attend. If your numbers are too far outside their normal range, they'll easily figure out that they're your safeties and send their interview invitations to prospects who are more likely to choose their school.

The upper-mid tiers and 20-40 ranks are probably going to be the best prospects for a 'high numbers, solid (but not Woah!) ECs candidate. How many of your applications were to schools in this range?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Patience is a virtue.

Should I be worried?

Regards,

You're not alone. Similar stats - applied to 22 schools. Complete mid-August. 1 hold and 1 II. Complete silence from everywhere else. Not fun to wait, but hang in there.

I mean, while his EC's aren't life-saving, I wouldn't say that they're "non-outstanding". I thought he had a good strong app, overall. :(
Non-outstanding = cookie cutter. Cookie cutters don't get an orgy of IIs from top schools in September. (Hell, no one does.) Therein lies OP's true problem. He's too anxious, too afraid of uncertainty, has too little confidence in himself, and thus should probably get off SDN if the site is fueling those emotions (9/10 chance). His app is not one that top 10 schools will jump on to offer September IIs, but he is still in a mighty good position for the cycle. He needs. to. calm. down. Like, have a beer :thumbup:

Waiting for schools to get back to you is like...
inhaling a mouthful of nasty cigarette smoke and not being able to exhale yet. :help:

Reactions: 2 users
Continue to strengthen your application. Don't check SDN. Do check your email.

"Lawyer up, hit the gym, delete Facebook" (if you're a Redditor) becomes "Volunteer, find a hobby, delete SDN"

Reactions: 1 users
It's been 4-6 weeks. People that were complete at the end of july have just started hearing back.

Calm down.

The nice thing about the fact that you applied so early is that if you really are worried that you overshot the mark, you can still send in some applications to lower tier schools.

Your fault for going top heavy. Should've paid the extra money and added a few more mid and low tier apps. You state yourself that your ECs aren't all that crazy, when you should know that top schools generally split hairs over ECs rather than stats since every applicant has roughly the same numbers at the higher end.